Zero Punctuation: Doki Doki Literature Club

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Andre Nilsson said:
funny thing is, this IS just a consent game. If what people on reddit has find out is true, then this is an advertising kampine fore a game coming out later this year
I only just played it a couple of nights ago. I'm not in the know Consent game? Like forcing men to realise consent is important for sexual relationships

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
trunkage said:
Andre Nilsson said:
funny thing is, this IS just a consent game. If what people on reddit has find out is true, then this is an advertising kampine fore a game coming out later this year
I only just played it a couple of nights ago. I'm not in the know Consent game? Like forcing men to realise consent is important for sexual relationships
I think they typoed it and autocorrect mixed it up further. From context I think they're trying to say that Redditors who went picking through the files for clues found it might actually be viral marketing for their next game.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
xeedguilmon said:
I didn't bother with the video, I know his attitude, and every reviewer in general.

"Oh holy shit, anime, I hate animez. Jailbait joke, Jailbait joke! Haha, me so funnaz."

Geez, get a new routine, this wasn't fun the first million times and not a single lick true. It be like if I call every WRPG a senior citizen because they look roughly in their sixties to the excessive wrinkly foreheads and pancake tits.

As for the game, it's tired as the anime hate, being meta because it's "deconstructing" a genre and telling the player to fuck off because the creator doesn't like said genre. Painting everything in blood, breaking the forth wall and trying to use the "cute thing with darkness underneath" trick is old hat.

I'm glade visual novels are "games", modern games suck.
[small]the butthurt is strong with this one[/small]

OT: i watched the stream and was entirely underwhelmed. If that's supposed to be some form of peak in the genre, then it doesn't say much positive about the genre

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Ehh, I like anime and I like a good romance and I've kind of been thinking about giving dating sims a go but if, as Yahtz says, the romantic options are shallow-ass walking wish fulfillment that exists only to date the MC with no agency of their own, that kind of dulls my interest considerably. Can anyone confirm if the genre really suffers from that sort of thing? I've got Hatoful Boyfriend in my backlog, I'll probably at least give it a go sometime anyway, but does that conform to this stereotype?

In other news, like many others I'm surprised Yahtzee let himself be pressured into anything. TBH, I don't actually think dating sim was the most entertaining possible genre. Myself, I'd LOVE seeing him play Dwarf Fortress or something strongly DF-inspired like Rimworld. The freedom in these titles allows an efficiency-minded player to perform some very entertaining - and sensible - atrocities, like the "dwarven nursery" idea, where children are subjected to full-body third degree burns and then forced into an extended pit fight with a gaggle of stressed-out puppies until maturity, to develop their combat stats. I suspect he'd love the concept, but all the same he doesn't like learning extensive game mechanics, so I expect he'd end up with a game he wants to love, but can't really play and gets pissed off at all the same, which would be hilarious to watch. Still, nice to see the guy step out of his comfort zone, good on him.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I don't think I've ever played a dating sim, but I'm left with the impression that all the characters are always crackers and super irrational. Is this correct?

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Baffle2 said:
I don't think I've ever played a dating sim, but I'm left with the impression that all the characters are always crackers and super irrational. Is this correct?
A lot of them are premised on a faceless guy with little to no personality or outstanding traits being able to successfully pursue a bevy of potential romantic interests, so the characters being either a little bit nuts or just having low standards is something of a requirement.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
ToastyMozart said:
Baffle2 said:
A lot of them are premised on a faceless guy with little to no personality or outstanding traits being able to successfully pursue a bevy of potential romantic interests, so the characters being either a little bit nuts or just having low standards is something of a requirement.
Isn't this usually considered part of the "harem" subgenre or am I mistaken? I don't know my Japanese culture that well. I just seem to notice that there's a fail bit of these which involves a bunch of girls who are all fighting over random nameless faceless PC in these things(or bland protag in anime).

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Baffle2 said:
That's actually a point of this game

Andre Nilsson

May 31, 2011
ToastyMozart said:
trunkage said:
Andre Nilsson said:
I think they typoed it and autocorrect mixed it up further. From context I think they're trying to say that Redditors who went picking through the files for clues found it might actually be viral marketing for their next game.
where did I do the typing error?
never minde I finde it

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I only played this one because of ZP- prior, I'd only heard of it very vaguely in passing. (What can I say, I don't spend that much time on Steam, these days.)

I'll agree that it wasn't bad- I might go as far as "pretty good"- but that I'm inclined to be kinder to it as I didn't have to shell out any money for it. Having to pay for a game where you're imposed upon to re-read large amounts of the same text to make sure you aren't missing something important...

...And in one case, skip through some ridiculous number of pages of gibberish, wondering if the meta-game is actually expecting you to quit and come back...

Well, that kind of thing tends to make you go "I paid how much to have this inflicted on me?"

(And in this case, you then go, "...Oh... right... Carry on, quirky experimental horror game.")

I think the "glitching" could have been handled with a lighter touch; some of it it laughable where it's intended to be scary; some of it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, in light of the final revelations.

Still, for a game in which 90% of the game play is choosing which words you'll put into poems, it wasn't the worst way to kill a few hours.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ugh, this game. It's been almost two years and simply watching the review hits me in the feels so hard my stomach drops out.