Zero Punctuation: Doom

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
"You'd have thought a few solar panels around God's beard would have done the job." Laughed pretty hard at that one.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Noyemi-K said:
Seems to me that drinking pussy juice would actually be a pretty manly thing to do.
It doesn't have to be Manly. It can be very Feminine when a Women does it. But I wonder why Yahtzee used it as an insult. You think he'd know what Pussy Juice was before using it.
Well, time to go look at Anthro Art with Vaginal Fluid....

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
So Yahtzee recommends it, then? Seems a lot of reviewers have given the game good ratings, and I've never played the original DOOM.

I'll probably check it out once I get my video card upgraded.

Flathole

Sep 5, 2015
Michael Prymula said:
Yahtzee liked Doom 3 too(at least in comparison to Medal of Honor Warfighter).
Yeah, but "in comparison to Medal of Honor Warfighter" is a real nasty qualifying statement. I could say "I like gardening," but once the "at least in comparison to MoH: Warfighter" qualifier comes out it's obvious I don't know my pollen from my stamens and may even have a personal grudge against every plant that's ever existed.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Flathole said:
Michael Prymula said:
Yahtzee liked Doom 3 too(at least in comparison to Medal of Honor Warfighter).
Yeah, but "in comparison to Medal of Honor Warfighter" is a real nasty qualifying statement. I could say "I like gardening," but once the "at least in comparison to MoH: Warfighter" qualifier comes out it's obvious I don't know my pollen from my stamens and may even have a personal grudge against every plant that's ever existed.
Yep, that's damnation by faint praise if I've ever seen it. Like saying "more watertight than the Titanic," or "a better love story than Twilight," or "a better composed, less contrived ending than Life is Strange's."

Noyemi-K said:
Seems to me that drinking pussy juice would actually be a pretty manly thing to do.
Apparently he's not tough enough for the Love Nectar.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
inu-kun said:
So did Yhatzee visit Israel? Or something.

bladeofdarkness said:
I'm confused
Is Israel known for quick passport checks ?
We've got only a single international airport so there's like 20 passport checking booths unlike 5 tops like in most country, plus they don't check much if you don't look like the type to smuggle something or.... ahem, nevermind.
Geava israelit :)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wait...people don't like weapon reloads in games now? Why? I like them mostly as it gives a little extra strategy and some animations are pleasant to see. Knowing doom doesn't have any kind of is a teeny disappoint personally. Is this just a nostalgia thing?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
MatParker116 said:
Silentpony said:
I actually kinda' want to know about James and Marjoine. I'm just picturing Romeo and Juliet in Doom, and its kinda' awesome. The people in Accounts Receivables are at war with the people in Accounts Payable, and the two new interns fall for each other...and the Doom happens.
I think I blew them up, they were turned in zombies.
You monster!

On another note may have to check this out if it's not Doom 3
On another another note gahh! Bob Monkhouse!

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
The weapon alt-fires are actually REALLY REALLY REALLY strong, especially when upgraded. With the Rune that grants you infinite ammo with 100+ armor the turret mode on the chaingun is GODLY and can turn a Cacaodemon into giblets faster than even the rocket launcher. The Plasma Rifle's Heat Blast recharges itself over time when maxed and it gibs lesser mooks around you (Does quite well against strong guys too, a few rounds to their face, a heat burst, a few more rounds, a heat burst, and big guy goes down). Siege Mode on the Gauss Cannon can gib multiple Cacaos in one shot. Upgrade the Super-Shotty to max and you spend one shell per trigger pull (You essentially fire one barrel at a time) while still having the same damage (Hell Knights never stood a chance). The remote detonation of the rocket launcher is great for mook mobs and for blasting the back ends of the Pinky Demons (who are much more of a prick this time around, and are of no relation to Pinky and the Brain or Pinkie Pie).

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"The kind that gets bamboo and occasionally has sex once and a while."

When do pandas do that? To my knowledge, the problem with them is they don't.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
OuendanCyrus said:
So I only played the game on PC, but there's a "ledge grab" button for the console versions? My guy would automatically get suck towards a ledge if I'm jumping and facing in that general direction, sometimes involuntarily when I'm trying to drop down to lower levels.
Nah, I have it on PS4, you just jump at the ledge and hope he grabs it. Its generally solid for the ledges with yellow edges/green lights, though finicky for more irregular terrain and oddball secret bits (like the lever in the Advanced Research Area). That and invisible walls were a bit arbitrary at times with whether a ledge was climbable or not.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Saika Renegade said:
That last joke got a good chuckle out of me.

Also glad to see that this... is it a reboot? Remake? Whatever of Doom works out generally all right. For me, being able to shotgun a demon's head into powerup confetti is usually a good sign these days.
I think it's a sequel that ignores Doom 3, considering at the beggining you're already known and feared by fucking demons as the Doomslayer.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Wait...people don't like weapon reloads in games now? Why? I like them mostly as it gives a little extra strategy and some animations are pleasant to see. Knowing doom doesn't have any kind of is a teeny disappoint personally. Is this just a nostalgia thing?
it's really got no place in a game like Doom, least if your gonna do Doom right anyway.

L377UC3

Nov 11, 2015
Xsjadoblayde said:
No, it's more of a game attempting to weed out as many unnecessary conventions of the modern shooter to keep it as streamlined as possible. The game is about doing everything fast. That is the core experience it attempts to convey. Therefore, reloading animations can be cut to ensure the game stays as fast as possible.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
putowtin said:
MatParker116 said:
Silentpony said:
I actually kinda' want to know about James and Marjoine. I'm just picturing Romeo and Juliet in Doom, and its kinda' awesome. The people in Accounts Receivables are at war with the people in Accounts Payable, and the two new interns fall for each other...and the Doom happens.
I think I blew them up, they were turned in zombies.
You monster!

On another note may have to check this out if it's not Doom 3
On another another note gahh! Bob Monkhouse!
Actually I blew James up and chainsawed Marjoine, she was full of ammo.

Necris Omega

Jul 27, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
There is some minor "reloading" in the weapon cooldown sense (the super shotgun for instance), but no, you don't have to exchange clips/belts/cells every x shots.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
If you basically have tons of ammo and are constantly shooting then reloading is just a pace killer, specially if its only there to stop you from shooting a second.
It makes more sense in Ghost Recons, Swats and other games where ammo management is a thing. But in my Quakes and Dooms i want to pull the trigger and only stop when everything stopped moving on the screen.
Also, while some special reload animations are infact neat i doubt i actually see them actively while im playing myself - unless i specifically want to check them out.

For example in Enter the Gungeon i think the reload mechanic is a huge pace killer and the heavy focus on ammo/gun management would've been enough.
Vice versa i've played games (i can't remember which ones though, goddamnit) where you've infinite ammo, but still have to reload clips, rockets etc. So it's just used as a gun cooldown.
I think all 3 options work, you just have to choose the right one for the type of game you wanna make.