Zero Punctuation: Duke Nukem Forever (for real this time)

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
Sigh, we were all wishing so much that DNF would make a proper come-back...sad to hear that it hasn't :(

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Solon_Mega said:
I've must have been watching WAY too many episodes of ZP, because I could notice something odd in Yahtzee's voice. People! He was SAD! As in really emotionally depressed. This time I really think he was not just doing his job of bashing at games (in the name of improvment, of course), no. He was mourning.

I mean, it's not like he has no reason to. This was supposed to be the "Lighting shuriken/ tits on fire" combo he(we) was(were) hoping for.

Let's all make a minute of silence, in name of what DNF could have been... before we conform and slap some walltits
I agree, he DID sound sad. I think because, in his Extra Punctuation regarding DNF after he made the mock review, that he would enjoy DNF if it was a complete throwback to the classic that was 3D: with the 9-weapon carrying and the camp and Mighty Foot and everything!

Instead, we got a game that was bright and campy for the first few levels before plunging deep into Yahtzee's pit of "generic FPS"-dom. Not to mention the fact that it had a two-weapon system(seriously, WTF? I don't wanna play a shoddy attempt at a Halo clone. I wanna play DUKE FUCKING NUKEM) and a melee-with-weapons system(see my earlier point).

If DNF was a complete and total throwback to the 1990s FPSs like Doom and Sin and Quake, then I bet Yahtzee would've LOVED this game. Instead...we got a Halo/Modern Warfare/Killzone semi-clone...

JetstreamGW

Oct 28, 2009
Poor, beleaguered, violated, dead-on-arrival Duke Nukem Forever. Maybe they can make a good game now that this one's given its feeble moneyshot.

finc

Mar 12, 2010
Sylocat said:
Duke Nukem Forever was released before Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

Think about that for a moment.
I wonder what DNF would have looked like if Valve had made it...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i still think the source engine is good looking. still detailed and not a hardware eater like some other engines out there. seriously, i think the source engine (HL2) looks much nicer then what we see in DNF.
and i think valve would have done a better job with the DNF then what we got now.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
I liked the first review more, i never really got into the hype of duke nukem and always enjoyed games like Quake hexxen, bodytrap(boobytrap)? more.

Probably a good reason to Quake is still around while 3drealms got boosted,

AlEcyler

Mar 9, 2011
The very ironic (to me ) thing about this video is I was rereading the count of monte cristo while waiting for it to load.

Distortionfile

Feb 21, 2011
You know Yahtzee, I remember you making a call to developers to have a "luck" bar instead of a health bar and I believe the Ego bar sounds about perfect. You couldn't at least say you were pleased by that for what it was? I haven't played it yet so I don't know if I hate you or agree about the rest.

Erdie

Jan 8, 2009
"thats not true. Even on a top end PC it has those issues."

Why do I keep seeing this? My PC is nowhere near top end, core i5 and a single Geforce 560 Ti. On max settings, I never saw slowdown, and with my standard 7200 RPM HDD I never saw loading times over 5 seconds at the absolute max (I timed it). There must have been a patch or something, because so many people parrot this when it's not at all true (maybe it was at some point...?)

I had some pretty good fun with the PC version. I have no idea how the console versions are, but I really couldn't care less. If it isn't Gears, Halo or CoD, the community dies in a month and there are no mods, ever.

I'm not saying the game is awesome or anything, but choosing the X360 version was a bit of an odd choice in my opinion.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I tried, honestly tried to play through this. I thought we'd get an average game with at least an attempt at cheeky humor, so talk about a let-down. I can't even imagine a college of drunken frat boys plugging this in and coming out the otherside not feeling disturbed, even after downing a garbage can full of grain alcohol and Tang.

There's just no excuse for this, not one. The story is awful even for Duke Nukem standards, the grahpics are crap, the controls are crap (I heard it was even worse on the consoles so take from that what you will) and the humor is outright disgusting when it isn't simply bad. I mean it's like mysoginistic snuff-film bad. I kept expecting the Cinema Snob to lean out of my PC and slap me in the face for playing such a piece of drivel. Not that he had the opportunity since the game crashed every other loading screen, meaning I've spent more time of my life waiting to play Duke Nukem Forever than actually playing it.

JasonRed

Jul 3, 2012
Duke Nukem Forever the game that should never of existed after all They promised the fans something they couldn't provide. Not to mention how could a game like DNF ever compete with DN3D the ultimate badass game.