Zero Punctuation: E3 2010

Top Dollar

Jan 3, 2009
Thick said:
You have to be joking. They have yet to invent the 3D that has things zipping past your ears. Things that go off screen still go off screen, meaning you can't see them. And I doubt that such a jump in technology will exist in a handheld gaming device first. What you're describing is that sort of Star Trek holographic thing that Yahtzee said to wake him when is real.

3D IS a gimmick, and even worse most things that make use of it do it poorly, shoehorning in images of things being pointed at the screen that practically yells "LOOK AT THIS HO HO HOOO!"
A gimmick which has been being used since the mid nineties and will improve to the point you are talking about eventually? Why is this a gimmick and not the early stages of evolution? Ignoring all that, you are talking about FILMS. This is for games which presumably could aid in things like judging distances.
Why are you all so violently against trying new things? Are you worried you might actually like something?

Linkassassin360

Dec 28, 2009
Well, I cant believe yahtzee didnt reach into the back of the heads with some sort of machine ,which he traded for his enjoyment of anything ever, and came out with a review of E3 that was on the mind of everyone who actually cared enough to watch it unfold. Couldnt agree more with this review...

DeManix

Jun 7, 2010
Thanks for pointing out why 3D is so heavily used and promoted Yahtzee, I feel like an idiot for not having figured it out myself.

And you're right about the motion controls too, making the reaction time to an input longer instead of shorter and making the user constantly flail about, never be comfortable and looking like an idiot is not the way to go, and just like the 3D fad, it will die when everybody realises it's a fad and move onto something else.

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
I have to agree with him, this whole motion controller fad is just getting annoying. Is this really the way to go? I'm gonna say no. Quite an enfatic no. It's a complete waste of money in terms of research/development and in terms of people spending their hard earned cash on it when it finally does come out. Just let nintendo have that little *ahem* "gem" and stick with what gamers want not what pastle shirt (ha!) families want. Losing my faith in gaming a little at the moment!

Bosola

Mar 6, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
[essentially -]

Right. Because innovation is something that should never be explored. We should just stick with what we know works and never take a chance on anything, ever. It's a scary thought, taking a risk. Forget the very notion of discovering anything new or interesting and putting it where people can experience it, for good or for ill.
If I want to 'explore new things', there are links, adverts, and all kinds of goodness already advertising them. As I pay for my bandwidth, however, I appreciate being given a choice, and not misled. I do plenty of 'experimentation' of my own now and then, thankyouverymuch, and certainly don't need some silly editor deciding that he (or she) can direct my tastes for me.

I like the idea that relentlessly bland sub-indie dross, punctuated with generic rhymes and musical structures constitutes 'new and experimental', though.

Don't get me wrong, I suppose I appreciate your interest in the energy and vigor that comes with playful creativity. I just think it's misguided to assume it's either pleasant or honest to 'hide' unadvertised bonus content in a world where many of us still use dialup (don't judge me).

aid the man posting in the thread of 250+ posts, 90% of which read "Yay Yahtzee! Your videos are so good and funny! This was the best one yet!"... and this happens every flipping week. I think we're past the point where we can believe in any sort of logical system of quality control on the net.
Hey, at least we can try.

Bosola

Mar 6, 2010
I too had technical issues with the vid. Namely closing it.

I'm using Chrome in Debian, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue with software on *my* end.

Raykuza

Jul 1, 2009
Whats this about a song now? The video was 5 minutes long, and the only song tacked onto the end was the usual end credits music.

SniperMacFox

Suffer not the Flamer to live
Jun 26, 2009
MisterM2402 said:
I didn't see that song either (at the end of the video, anyway). Was wondering what everyone was going on about haha.
That's because it's been removed from the end of the clip, possibly so that people weren't put under false impressions that the video was going to be an eight-minute epic concerning every minute game that was announced at E3, but probably because the Escapist got fed up with all of the damn Rebecca Mayes haters on this very thread.

Still, controversy feeds publicity, which ironically is what Yahtzee said in another review.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Top Dollar said:
Thick said:
You have to be joking. They have yet to invent the 3D that has things zipping past your ears. Things that go off screen still go off screen, meaning you can't see them. And I doubt that such a jump in technology will exist in a handheld gaming device first. What you're describing is that sort of Star Trek holographic thing that Yahtzee said to wake him when is real.

3D IS a gimmick, and even worse most things that make use of it do it poorly, shoehorning in images of things being pointed at the screen that practically yells "LOOK AT THIS HO HO HOOO!"
A gimmick which has been being used since the mid nineties and will improve to the point you are talking about eventually? Why is this a gimmick and not the early stages of evolution? Ignoring all that, you are talking about FILMS. This is for games which presumably could aid in things like judging distances.
Why are you all so violently against trying new things? Are you worried you might actually like something?
That's like excusing those now comically used black and white film clips of proto-planes falling apart because they eventually led to the jumbo jet. Here's news: they still sucked.

At least in the '90s it was more or less limited to amusement parks that could also spray you with water or literally jab you in the back (curse you, Animal Kingdom!)and episodes of sitcoms that seemed to either intentionally or not parody the whole thing by sticking things at the screen and laughing about it.

The first thing to do for 3D to get off gimmick street is to stop misusing it. Working 3D elements into an already solid work in subtle ways to raise immersion, ostensibly the purpose of 3D, is the way to go. Not directing as many images as possible to jut out towards the screen. Yes, I'm talking about films because that's the last step forward in media it took (TV sitcoms notwithstanding) since pop up books-which were some of them interactive I guess. Forgive me if I don't expect Nintendo, who arguably have a fondness for gimmicks-to have that metaphorical Kitty-Hawk moment with its first foray into gaming.

The good news for you is that even though those proto-planes sucked, some people kept working on it until they got it right, and it worked great. I'm sure there were hateful little gremlins like myself facing flight too. So when/if someone gets 3D to work well, you and I and nerds everywhere will have a great big hooray that the world is one step closer to a Gene Roddenberry utopia.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Yahtzee doesn't get to go to E3? Really?

I don't know whether to feel sorry for him or praise his luck.

BBMv12

Jun 2, 2010
I liked the vid, even tho it was more a moan about motion controls than E3 itself. Its already been said several times that Yahtzee seemed to forget about Portal2, perhaps he plans on dedicating an entire vid to it? I don't know how his twisted mind works...

actually I do, sort of. On the subject of motion controls I kinda expected him to say this:

"Right, motion controls. Permit me to sum up my thoughts on them in their entirity *Long Gargling/choking noise* Sorted. Moving on"

I liked the bit about Rising, because yeah, it is obvious Kojima wanted people to like Raiden and so thats why he's a ninja-cyborg-thing in MGS4 yet it was still rather funny.

Also I liked the song... its the ONLY song of hers that I like, yeah I wouldn't surprised to hear a limerick come-back.

Also looking forward to ZP: Split/Second ("coming soon" I assume)

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
I almost fell out of my chair laughing when he showed the picture of the mascot and i thought "the hell..." and he made the joke of how fucking creepy it looked and the AAAAAA of his 2-d self and i exploded with laughter.

One of the best episodes of the year so far! Keep it up!

falconwhitaker

Sep 10, 2009
I'm afraid that I didn't enjoy this video as much as the last E3 slaughter. It was still good, but the previous one was better. To be fair, though, it could just be that last year had better material, I dunno.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
He kinda stayed away from the stuff that looks slightly good [imo medel of honer, mafia 2] and the real good stuff [again imo portal 2, crysis 2].