Zero Punctuation: E3 2013

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well, you killed most if not all of the "hype" that I was having for the next gen Yahtzee.
So mission accomplished I guess.

:/ yay?

It was a fun video though. Even if it's a bit depressing.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Do4600 said:
Supernova1138 said:
the next gen consoles wouldn't likely be able to run it well unless you were able to overclock them by about 100%.
You seem to be under the impression that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are somehow miniaturized versions of the Krell's 33,000 km^3 power and computing machine from Forbiddon Planet. They are computers, built by humans early in 2006 for at most US$800. Denying backwards compatibility is just laziness in optimization.
It's not that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are ridiculously powerful, it's that there is a massive loss of performance in emulating PowerPC on x86 hardware. You need to have a system many orders of magnitude more powerful than the original console in order to emulate at a playable speed, a jump in power far greater than the improvement we are seeing with next gen over current gen. PS2 emulation is a good example, it's doable on current PCs that are hundreds of times more powerful than the PS2, but it still doesn't perform all that great.

If you really, really want BC, you're just going to have to get enough of an angry mob fired up on the Internet that maybe Sony or MS will consider releasing a BC version of their new console with a built in version of its predecessor, just expect to pay a premium for it if they ever did decide to do it. Alternatively, join up with the PC gaming master race, they have BC simply because PC doesn't change its CPU architecture every 4 to 8 years.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
I know Yahtzee is supposed to rip on everything for the sake of humor but none of this felt wrong/exaggerated.
It's like he doesn't need to write episodes anymore! The industry is doing all of the work for him.

Best episode yet!

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Arslan Aladeen said:
Isn't Yahtzee's complaint about MGS going open-world applicable to just about every open-world game including Red Dead and Skyrim?
He wasn't really complaining about it as he was taking the piss out of how unusual it looked in comparison to other E3 trailers. I mean, how many games have you seen whose trailers consisted of uncut gameplay and random moments where it fastforwards itself.
I didn't think so.

finalizer

Aug 13, 2010
WaitWHAT said:
The PS2 simulator website [http://pcsx2.net/getting-started.html] recommends a minimum of a Pentium 4 or Athlon64, and even more sceptical users [http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Sticky-Will-PCSX2-run-fast-on-my-computer] say that you need at least a dual-core athlon or opteron.
They're minimum specs in that they're the very lowest you can go just to get the thing running on a system - thing is, you won't get a satisfying experience out of it. I can tell you that from personal experience that it wasn't until I got my Phenom II X4 that I was able to get decent performance out of PCSX2; even back when I was on an Athlon X2 64 there was still a lot of buggering around with speedhacks and still dealt with general sound stuttering issues and graphical corruptions.

Problem is though that enjoyment is subjective. I don't mind fiddling around with speedhacks and getting a few hiccups here and there, but that's not the case with all users. Some demand absolute perfection with emulation, and you'll get folks who will say "there's still no good emulation for the N64" even though I've merrily used software like Project64 in the past and have personally had little problem with it. But then I must have a bit more leniency in regards to emulator accuracy than those aforementioned folks.

And that's one of the big problems that we boil down to here - that PS2 emulation is still in this questionable state even after years of development and two generational leaps of progression and you still need top-of-the-line hardware to get the most accurate emulation means that it's not a reliable option. It's one thing for these fan-made emulators to have issues and quirks with specific software, but another entirely for the actual corporations themselves to stumble over the same issues - they can't just tell the consumer "well it hiccups on sounds because lol emulation", they need it to "just work," since that's the whole point. Fans are going to be far less sympathetic to these issues with Microsoft and Sony than they would be to a group of fans working on their own little project.

WaitWHAT said:
And if someone has video after video showing that the XBOX 360 emulator works, you need more than some youtube comments and year-old comments on some threads to disprove video after video after video of the XBOX 360 simulator perfectly in action. Like seriously, all you've got is word of mouth (well, word of keyboard) that it doesn't work. It also doesn't help that many of your statments are provably false.
The burden of proof doesn't fall on me. Frankly, I already know there is no Xbox 360 emulator that you can download and just play games with. I already know that the scene for emulation of Microsoft consoles is near non-existent, which is why there's barely any emulation of the original Xbox, let alone the 360. You can try for yourself - go download those supposed emulators and give 'em a go. See if you can get a 360 ISO or disc running on them. Don't point me to some Youtube video that could easily be thrown together with a bit of video editing; try it out yourself.

As that FAQ I linked pointed out, you wont, because we're not even at a point where top-end PC hardware can handle the prospect of attempting true 360 emulation. Doesn't matter that the OP of the topic is from three years ago, that fact simply hasn't changed. The new consoles certainly don't have nearly the power to pull it off, which is why you wont see them using emulation to provide PS3/360 backwards compatibility. It's just not possible. Its why Sony was touting Gaikai as a feature to allow you to stream PS3 games online instead of playing them directly on the PS4 hardware through emulation.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
TheProfessor234 said:
Here I was hoping he'd mention Wonderful 101 but ah well.

Next week should be pretty good, hopefully.
Went against the "Nintendo rehashes IPs" running gag, so he couldn't use it.

Either that or him not mentioning it means he sees it as a positive and not worth mentioning in a video that's meant to cut down on E3 hype.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
E3 2013

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews E3 2013.

Watch Video
Well, it is true that Microsoft rapes fish. As well as dolphins.

Isn't it about time that they renamed E3 "Spunk Gargle Wee-Wee Convention... err 3"?

finalizer

Aug 13, 2010
Magog1 said:
it's funny seeing ben bend over back words to try and be fair to x box one.
namely cause he picked micro soft to beat sony...
I don't know how you've managed to arrive to this conclusion. He's been critical of the entire next-gen progression in general. The only comment that I could possibly see someone taking as him showing a favoring of Microsoft is that whole fighting wolves joke from the Next Gen Buyer's Guide video, and that was hardly a recommendation so much as its own roundabout backhanding of MS. I suppose he's harped on Sony stuff a bit more through the Extra Punctuation, but I'd say that might be out of sheer virtue of us knowing about it for longer. (since there was the whole PS meeting back in Feb) I'd hardly call that "being fair to the Xbox One;" it's more that he's "discussed" the other console more.

TheNarrator

Feb 12, 2010
The rant against exclusivity made me happy. It's obvious anti-competitive and anti-consumer behaviour, and not enough people give a fuck.

Also, one of the most hilarious ZP's in a long time, even one of the best ever imo :D

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
And no mention of Project Spark... Why not? Everyone seems to have forgotten about it.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
And now I miss Crispy and or Crispy Mint M&Ms even more now. So so delicious but with shitty shelf life doomed to fail.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
BX3 said:
TheProfessor234 said:
Here I was hoping he'd mention Wonderful 101 but ah well.

Next week should be pretty good, hopefully.
Went against the "Nintendo rehashes IPs" running gag, so he couldn't use it.

Either that or him not mentioning it means he sees it as a positive and not worth mentioning in a video that's meant to cut down on E3 hype.
That is a good point. The game looks great, hopefully it pulls through, I really hope it is.

If anything, when it does come out, it should be a great Zero Punc review anyway.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I wasn't very excited for E3, but nonetheless I still enjoyed some of what was being offered. I think the next generation of consoles looks fine.

Also, spunkgargleweewee is still a stupid term.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
"Why did you fast-forward most of it?"
"Because the parts in between were boring!"
"I suppouse you can't fast-forward in game?"
"...No."
"So are you saying that your game is boring then?"

Oh god, that was a good laugh.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
I play few games, so I watch E3 reviews for upcoming titles that sound really promising. Nothing here. This is a bad sign.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
Arslan Aladeen said:
Isn't Yahtzee's complaint about MGS going open-world applicable to just about every open-world game including Red Dead and Skyrim?
He wasn't really complaining about it as he was taking the piss out of how unusual it looked in comparison to other E3 trailers. I mean, how many games have you seen whose trailers consisted of uncut gameplay and random moments where it fastforwards itself.
I didn't think so.
When has Kojima ever been conventional? Not that I feel his complaint isn't valid, I find the majority of open-world games terribly boring, and is probably my biggest concern for MGSV. It just seems a bit hypocritical when he says that open world games like Skyrim and Red Dead are something more games should do.