Zero Punctuation: E3 2016

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
E3 was a big waste of time and the only thing I can remember about it was Microsoft giving people a reason not to buy a Xbox One for a year and a half.

Though coming off a rant about zombie games to then see a name badge with Fido on it made me laugh.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I completely forgot Yahtzee does an E3 review every year. I barely got excited for Mafia III & rebuying Skyrim. Project Scorpio guarantees I won't be buying an Xbox One until they come out with the final version. And Agents Of MAyHEM makes me miss Saints Row's character creation.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Whoever decided to name the Xbox One slim for Xbox One S, and the new upgraded Xbox One for Xbox One Scorpio is either retarded, or they're banking on confusing the people they didn't get to be naming their third console Xbox One, also all their games are also for Windows 10 so anyone with a decent computer just got their Xbox One turned into a giant paper weight

I liked the live orchestra for the Sony conference was a nice idea, also only about 3 minutes of talking, hopefully this is an omen for next conferences

In comparison Ubisoft and EA still don't seem to have gotten the hint that no one wants to listen to uncharismatic executives going full "how do you do fellow kids?", and how much cringe potential it has

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Funny video, blah blah hype train blah, great zingers.

That ending comment wondering when Microsoft will come out with an xbox that can run steam... I never even thought of that before. The consequences for the console market would be very interesting. And that's probably the most interesting thing to come out of E3 this year: yahtzee's teasing joke at the end of his video review.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
The smartphone approach to consoles is exactly what Microsoft is trying to do. Sony seems suddenly indecisive about the whole concept (Mainly because they just realized that they lost what steam they had thus far), and Nintendo is seems to be off making the Wii U 2.0.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Yeah, compared to last year, this E3 wasn't very good.
Then again, last year had the FF7 Remake so it's not entirely a fair contest...

Seriously, how DO you top that?

Still looking forward to the Crash remakes tho, fucking love that guy :D

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
honestly hoping that god of war 4 kills Kratos off and has the son as the main character avenging his dead dad and then at the end of the game, Kratos emerges from the underworld for the seventh billion time and set himself up as the villain for the inevitable God of war 5.

I mean I doubt that will happen, but I can still live in hope through the power of denial!

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Am I the only that hated the orchestra during Sony's press conference? I just found it really distracting and overbearing(plus it made them look kind of pompous and arrogant). I wish they would just let God of War die already, as it already felt like the franchise was on it's last legs with Ascension.

I don't know if VR is the way forward, Rift and Vive are too expensive for the average gamer, and PSVR might end up like Kinect since Sony insists on selling both it and the Neo(which like Yahtzee said they really should've brought up, not bringing up made it look like they have no confidence in the thing).

I'm looking forward to Days Gone, Wildlands, Spider-Man, Prey, Watch Dogs 2, Agents of Mayhem, Horizon Zero Dawn, Titanfall 2, Dead Rising 4, Mass Effect Andromeda and Scalebound.

I'm not crazy about the consoles trying to copy the Smartphone model either, it just seems very shortsighted.

The Windows 10 thing won't necessarily render Xbox One's obsolete, as there's plenty of people like myself who HATE Windows 10 and refuse to switch to it until support for Windows 7 stops in 2020.

Quake Champions looks awful, after the excellent run I.d was having with Wolfenstein and Doom's awesome single-player campaigns, going for a multiplayer-only Quake(despite having released one several years ago with Quake Live) seems like a huge step backwards, Quake IV was what got me into FPS games to begin with(first M-rated game I ever played) so not seeing a follow-up to it really felt like a missed opportunity. Who exactly is the audience for that game? I can't imagine Overwatch players having any interest in an old dog desperately trying to learn new tricks, and Quake 3 Arena fans certainly won't be interested in an MP-only game that's so far removed from the arena shooter action they are used to.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Soulrender95 said:
honestly hoping that god of war 4 kills Kratos off and has the son as the main character avenging his dead dad and then at the end of the game, Kratos emerges from the underworld for the seventh billion time and set himself up as the villain for the inevitable God of war 5.

I mean I doubt that will happen, but I can still live in hope through the power of denial!
The developers already confirmed Kratos would not die.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
darkrage6 said:
I did say I was using the power of denial, and honestly if I was writing a story for a massive game I'd lie in pretty much every interview about plot points so as not to spoil it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I feel nothing from these events really anymore. Gaming is losing its' charm, and with it, any excitement for future projects. Even with trying to poke the reward pathways, still just nothing. Some conversation is often more interesting. Though maybe that soul selling moment was more real than I first assumed. Should've got a better deal. Eh, it was pretty much in bad condition anyway. But being dead on the inside doesn't stop the outside being crunchy and chocolatey.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
darkrage6 said:
I'm not crazy about the consoles trying to copy the Smartphone model either, it just seems very shortsighted.
The sad truth is, this isn't a shortsighted method. With previous console generations, each new system was literally the next leap in technology. However, in recent years, tech is being produced and upgrade at such a scary pace that this business model will no longer work. That's the reason why Apple and other such companies get away with a new iPhone every season, because the latest tech used this year is severially outdated the next.

Also, there's the factor that technology is very expensive to produce both at the beginning and end of it's lifecycle, so a lot of companies try to capitalize on it during the midpoint where the tech is easy enough to afford. However, with technology upgrading so fast, this mid-point is becoming much smaller, so companies end up paying more money for the development of a device at a much quicker pace than expected.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
darkrage6 said:
Am I the only that hated the orchestra during Sony's press conference? I just found it really distracting and overbearing(plus it made them look kind of pompous and arrogant). I wish they would just let God of War die already, as it already felt like the franchise was on it's last legs with Ascension.

I'm looking forward to Days Gone, Wildlands, Spider-Man, Prey, Watch Dogs 2, Agents of Mayhem, Horizon Zero Dawn, Titanfall 2, Dead Rising 4, Mass Effect Andromeda and Scalebound.

Quake Champions looks awful, after the excellent run I.d was having with Wolfenstein and Doom's awesome single-player campaigns, going for a multiplayer-only Quake(despite having released one several years ago with Quake Live) seems like a huge step backwards, Quake IV was what got me into FPS games to begin with(first M-rated game I ever played) so not seeing a follow-up to it really felt like a missed opportunity. Who exactly is the audience for that game? I can't imagine Overwatch players having any interest in an old dog desperately trying to learn new tricks, and Quake 3 Arena fans certainly won't be interested in an MP-only game that's so far removed from the arena shooter action they are used to.
I'll give them an A for effort on the orchestra; otherwise I agree with you. No more Kratos. If they're doing Norse mythology, can't they just used the Norse war god. There is at least <url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_deities#Norse_mythology>five of them. I know Thor would be the most obvious case, but who cares?! Odin's Sphere is better game based off Norse mythos than God of War IV.

Spiderman, Nier: Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and ReCore (I don't have an XONE) I found the more interesting of the bunch. Titanfall 2 was meh, I still have no interest in Watch_Dogs period (including the rest of Ubi's sandbox games), Scalebound has me worried, and zombie games stuff in general bored me to death along time ago.

B5Alpha

Oct 4, 2012
I agree with Yahtzee. What is the point of a Star Trek VR, or even VR in general, if you can't be Doctor Bashir?

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I made bets with my friend Kratos's kid dies in the end of act one, he said the kids lives until the middle of the last chapter and when somebody talked about the kid living and Kratos being like that we laughed for a bit before thinking "Considering how little we knew of Kratos' other family, that seems a bit disrespectful".

I find very odd Yahtzee's positon about VR, he said that the PS2-Gamecube-Xbox era was the best, where his favorite games were made, then Nintendo shifted the market of Motion controls to the which he early on dismissed because many games were replacing normal inputs by motions of the control, which is basically what the VR headset does, you look around, something that could very well be acomplished with the right analog stick, unless the action is so fast paced you have to look around while your hands do something, but such game has yet to appear. Then he makes the killing blow of exclusive to VR shouldn't be exclusive, I would have agreed with headset exclusivity, but taking away the exclusives, the very thing that promps consoles to sell seems a good incentive to NOT invest on VR.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
When you stop and remember, Quake II didn't have a whole lot to do with the original Quake either.
As a resident of the San Francisco Bay Area, WATCH_DOGS_2 piqued my curiosity, and pandered to me in an adorable, slightly-out-of-ouch-with-the-kids-today way. Though keep in mind that Ubisoft has an office in SF, so I think they would know what they're talking about in the game.

But maybe it's just me, I don't find cancer jokes funny anymore.
Soulrender95 said:
darkrage6 said:
I did say I was using the power of denial, and honestly if I was writing a story for a massive game I'd lie in pretty much every interview about plot points so as not to spoil it.
They wouldn't do that; it's just TOO innovative and unexpected!

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
CoCage said:
darkrage6 said:

I'll give them an A for effort on the orchestra; otherwise I agree with you. No more Kratos. If they're doing Norse mythology, can't they just used the Norse war god. There is at least <url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_deities#Norse_mythology>five of them. I know Thor would be the most obvious case, but who cares?! Odin's Sphere is better game based off Norse mythos than God of War IV.

Spiderman, Nier: Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and ReCore (I don't have an XONE) I found the more interesting of the bunch. Titanfall 2 was meh, I still have no interest in Watch_Dogs period (including the rest of Ubi's sandbox games), Scalebound has me worried, and zombie games stuff in general bored me to death along time ago.
Oh yeah I forgot about Recore, that's on my list too. I know some people are worried since Keiji Inafune is working on it after the disaster of Mighty No 9(really looking forward to Yahtzee tearing that game to shreds), but i'm not worried, Inafune is talented, he just works better with oversight then being the head of a project.

Didn't like the first Nier much(hated how they forced you to play through the game twice to get the "true" ending) since I don't have much hope for Automata being any better.

I like all of Ubisoft's sandbox games aside from Assassin's Creed(Which I truly wish would die).

I'm always surprised when I hear how people are tired of zombies games, as if they're a genre somehow. I personally like the idea of bikers vs zombies(though when I saw the trailer I thought it was a sequel to Ride to Hell).

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Darth_Payn said:
When you stop and remember, Quake II didn't have a whole lot to do with the original Quake either.
As a resident of the San Francisco Bay Area, WATCH_DOGS_2 piqued my curiosity, and pandered to me in an adorable, slightly-out-of-ouch-with-the-kids-today way. Though keep in mind that Ubisoft has an office in SF, so I think they would know what they're talking about in the game.

But maybe it's just me, I don't find cancer jokes funny anymore.
Soulrender95 said:
darkrage6 said:
They wouldn't do that; it's just TOO innovative and unexpected!
Is that because of Total Biscuit having cancer?