Zero Punctuation: E3 2016

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
CoCage said:
darkrage6 said:
Didn't like the first Nier much(hated how they forced you to play through the game twice to get the "true" ending) since I don't have much hope for Automata being any better.

I like all of Ubisoft's sandbox games aside from Assassin's Creed(Which I truly wish would die).

I'm always surprised when I hear how people are tired of zombies games, as if they're a genre somehow. I personally like the idea of bikers vs zombies(though when I saw the trailer I thought it was a sequel to Ride to Hell).
I never played nor cared for the first Nier either, but Platinum is behind it; and I saw a good amount of footage online. From what I've seen, it's looking great.

Zombie games are a genre; ever since the popularity of Left 4 Dead & Nazi Zombies almost every other developer jumped on the zombie bandwagon regardless whether it made since or not. Red Dead Redemption

Yes, there were always zombies in games, but not to this extent of over saturation. Red Dead Redemption, Yakuza, Sniper's Zombie Army Trilogy, Last of US, Uncharted 1, and many more. The last games I ever really enjoyed that involved zombies were Lollipop Chainsaw, Onechanbara Z2: Chaos (the franchise has been around since 2004), and Killer Is Dead (the zombies are either from the moon or dark matter from the moon infects a person).

Days Gone feels like Last of Us: Biker edition meets World War Z The crappy PG-13 ZOMBIE MOVIE that had nothing to do with the book.
I loved Last of Us and the World War Z film(I don't think it was "crappy" at all, never read the book so I could not give less of a fuck how much they have in common, for what it's worth I saw the unrated version) so I consider that a good thing.
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
Am I the only that hated the orchestra during Sony's press conference? I just found it really distracting and overbearing(plus it made them look kind of pompous and arrogant).
Really? It took an orchestra at a press conference to tell you that? I've only been noticing their pretentious, arrogant attitude since the PS2 era ended and yet people went ahead and bought the PS4 anyways completely ignoring that the advertising behind it was no less loud and arrogant.
Oh i've been well aware of Sony's arrogant streak ever since they announced the PS3("the next generation doesn't start without us" LOL, so much for that) which is why the orchestra annoyed me so much, cause I was hoping Sony were done with the arrogant act(I especially hated when they showed off letters from fans at E3 2014, talk about pointless and a complete waste of time) but I guess not.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Arawn said:
While E3 rarely excites, it does get some attention on interesting games coming out. In addition we got some gameplay footage for games from the previous year, Recore, while others showed their current development level. I'll admits I was utter shocked at the God of War demo, but I liked the fast paced action of the previous games. I wonder how this one will play out. When the Call of Duty video played I really didn't know what it was. I thought it was a space sim with ground/base missions. Surprise it's a FPS. Shame that.
I like that COD is going into space, can't think of where else the franchise can go at this point. I'm laughing at all the morons that downvoted the trailer just cause it's the "trendy" thing to do(could not give less of a fuck about Battlefield 1, sounds like it will be pretty mediocre).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
That's the second Filipino boy joke in five years. Don't think I'm not counting Yahtzee!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
darkrage6 said:
You are entitled to your opinion and I have no problem with you liking World War Z. My problems with WWZ is that not only did it have nothing do with the book, but it felt like a zombie film for babies. You know, the 13 & under crowd who's parents won't allow them to watch an actual hard R/Unrated zombie movie. I'm aware of the unrated version, that only proves my point. I've seen comparison, and there wasn't that much of a difference between the cut and uncut content.

We all agree on the Sony's arrogance part. I thought they would have learned their lesson by now, but it appears not. The reason I got a PS4 is because, Sony has niche games and exclusives, Microsoft usually lacks. I want to play more than just a grim dark 1st person/third person cover shooter. I know Microsoft is trying to fix this mistake, but they still have a long way to go. Even during last gen, when Sony had a bad start, they still realized there are gamers who play more than just shooters. Here's hoping that they don't make the same mistakes again. It's looking that way with VR combined with motion controls. I thought everybody was done with motion controls. It's got nothing left going for it. So why are companies still trying to make it a thing?

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
CoCage said:
darkrage6 said:
You are entitled to your opinion and I have no problem with you liking World War Z. My problems with WWZ is that not only did it have nothing do with the book, but it felt like a zombie film for babies. You know, the 13 & under crowd who's parents won't allow them to watch an actual hard R/Unrated zombie movie. I'm aware of the unrated version, that only proves my point. I've seen comparison, and there wasn't that much of a difference between the cut and uncut content.

We all agree on the Sony's arrogance part. I thought they would have learned their lesson by now, but it appears not. The reason I got a PS4 is because, Sony has niche games and exclusives, Microsoft usually lacks. I want to play more than just a grim dark 1st person/third person cover shooter. I know Microsoft is trying to fix this mistake, but they still have a long way to go. Even during last gen, when Sony had a bad start, they still realized there are gamers who play more than just shooters. Here's hoping that they don't make the same mistakes again. It's looking that way with VR combined with motion controls. I thought everybody was done with motion controls. It's got nothing left going for it. So why are companies still trying to make it a thing?
Speaking as someone as who actually saw both the theatrical and unrated version, the latter is actually quite a bit more violent.

Agreed on motion controls, I didn't hate the Kinect or Wii-Mote, but it felt like both MS and Nintendo tried to milk those things past their due date. I have very little interest in VR myself, i'm not rich or crazy enough to buy a Rift or Vive(even if I could afford one, there's no way my current PC could handle them, you need a top of the line rig for those things to work right) and I probably will not get a PSVR until it is heavily discounted.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
darkrage6 said:
Darth_Payn said:
When you stop and remember, Quake II didn't have a whole lot to do with the original Quake either.
As a resident of the San Francisco Bay Area, WATCH_DOGS_2 piqued my curiosity, and pandered to me in an adorable, slightly-out-of-ouch-with-the-kids-today way. Though keep in mind that Ubisoft has an office in SF, so I think they would know what they're talking about in the game.

But maybe it's just me, I don't find cancer jokes funny anymore.
Soulrender95 said:
darkrage6 said:
The developers already confirmed Kratos would not die.
I did say I was using the power of denial, and honestly if I was writing a story for a massive game I'd lie in pretty much every interview about plot points so as not to spoil it.
They wouldn't do that; it's just TOO innovative and unexpected!
Is that because of Total Biscuit having cancer?
He does? Crap. I meant since my mom got brain cancer (yes, it's a thing!), it's harder to find jokes about it funny anymore.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Darth_Payn said:
darkrage6 said:
Darth_Payn said:
When you stop and remember, Quake II didn't have a whole lot to do with the original Quake either.
As a resident of the San Francisco Bay Area, WATCH_DOGS_2 piqued my curiosity, and pandered to me in an adorable, slightly-out-of-ouch-with-the-kids-today way. Though keep in mind that Ubisoft has an office in SF, so I think they would know what they're talking about in the game.

But maybe it's just me, I don't find cancer jokes funny anymore.
Soulrender95 said:
darkrage6 said:
The developers already confirmed Kratos would not die.
I did say I was using the power of denial, and honestly if I was writing a story for a massive game I'd lie in pretty much every interview about plot points so as not to spoil it.
They wouldn't do that; it's just TOO innovative and unexpected!
Is that because of Total Biscuit having cancer?
He does? Crap. I meant since my mom got brain cancer (yes, it's a thing!), it's harder to find jokes about it funny anymore.
Yeah TB has bowel cancer, though thankfully according to his doctors he's going to live for quite a while.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I'm still kinda confused that E3 wasn't the opportunity for Nintendo to clarify just what the hell the NX is (I really hope it's the successor to the 3DS, where the charging station is connected to your TV, back compatible with 3DS and Wii U games, I'll buy it) and for Sony to push the Neo. The gen of consoles we're in just isn't a leap enough, we're playing older games in the condition they deserved to be played in when they came out and I actually wanted to see the strange world of "1/2 gen" at least. Strange that Microsoft fired first, and convinced everyone not to buy an X1 at all and game on PC instead.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
B5Alpha said:
I agree with Yahtzee. What is the point of a Star Trek VR, or even VR in general, if you can't be Doctor Bashir?
What's the point of a Star Trek VR, if you can't Picard the shit out of some Borg?

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
I just don't know how anyone could look at the God of War and think that;

"You know what, that man with the disembowelled heads of his enemies dangling from his man skirt would make a great role model to help raise an impressionable young boy threw the tumultuous time of puberty."

And the fact that anyone would reply with;

"Fuck sold!"

Is a bit worrying to me.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Is it me or did this E3 roundup from Yahtzee come of as particularly toothless? I mean E3 this year was fart in the smog-choked wind so I'm not at all that dismayed, but still, I was expecting fire and battery acid like the previous years but its just... meh.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I truly loved, loved, LOVED Sony's presentation this year. Before, I had next to no reason to get a PS4, now I have like five reasons.

But Last Guardian, Crash and an exclusive Insomniac Spiderman game ?

I started drooling after seeing God Of War's segment and I am so happy that they are actually sticking with the original Kratos and tackling the mistakes he did. I cannot wait to see this. It ticks so many items on my GOW checklist that my brain almost exploded after the demo. The brass balls these guys must have to tackle the story after the way it ended 5 years ago. I wanted them to do this but it was more wishful thinking than anything else cause it seemed like a huge gambit. But it's also an opportunity for us. Think about it. In gaming media, we only see one state of the world. Borderlands, Fallout, Grim Dawn recently (love that game), there are many post apocalyptic games as well as a dozen others preapocalyptic ones that end once the world goes to shit. In God Of War, we got to see how the world was before the end and now, we will get to see how it is after that. That's pretty impressive ! It is nice to see that Kratos is trying to tidy things up after the last game, not just on the outside world but also in an esoteric sense. After GOW, he was a ball of rage because he was basically tricked out of his chance for peace. No matter how much sympathy I had for him in the first game, it was clear that in the third, we played as the bad guy and we destroyed the world. He, like us, had a lot of time to see the ramifications that the concept of revenge had on the world. He actually brought us a bit into his perspective, the PTSD kind of perspective that I think people glass over without considering it being a big deal. I like seeing it coming into the forefront :) That moment when Kratos stepped back, took a breath and calmly scolded the kid just a bit, left me bug-eyed. Santa Monica is facing the fire of an ending that was GOW III and I appraise and applaud that, with every fiber of my being, even if the game tanks.

Gameplay wise, I was bored with GOW's combat system anyway, not because it was bad, faaaaaar from it but because I had mastered it so thoroughly the last time around, I saw it had little else to offer me.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So no Zero punctuation today? Is Yahtzee on vacation?

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Hey, I'd still go Sporty Spice! The way Posh Spice looks these days I'd be worried I'd cut myself on one of her hard angles.
Sporty would be the one going for you though. Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

This E3 was great. Now I have lowered expecations for everything for the next 18 months, except We Happy Few. So I can only be plesantly surprised, though I doubt that is likely.