Zero Punctuation: E3 2017

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
You may now proceed to the comments to complain that I didn't mention X, Y and Z
Okay, I'll complain that you didn't mention Devolver Digital, mainly because I thought it'd be right up your alley.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Are you only reviewing the Friday 13th game because of the 'stream related game after video is posted' part of the contract, and one can't quite stream E3 now of all times, could they? Isn't there that Dead by Daylight game that would have made a blatant comparison review? I've played neither, but the latter at least sounds more varied by the inherent fact that it's not restricted by a single license involving the most boring slasher film enemy in history.

Edit: if I may interject with a little constructive but-thrown-to-the-wind criticism for this one...when it comes to justifying your decision on the start of the video, although open honesty is all well and good, I feel it would be more fun and playful if you were to not mention it at all and instead allow the audience to come to their own conclusion that you were simultaneously reviewing (or criticising) an unrelated entity. Not only does it leave more room for jokes, it also portrays a bit more respect for your audience's intellect. You don't need to justify your potentially weird decisions to them, fuck'em! unless those decisions are pretty controversial of course. ;)

HazardousCube

Apr 20, 2017
Was it just me or were the transitions from "E3" to "Friday the 13th: The Game" clumsy? (couldn't think of a better way to say it)

William Brady

Jan 20, 2014
Look, I have no idea wether Yahtzee ever replies on these forums at all, however I'm just going to say that this is probably the worst video he's put out thus far.

Because for one, in the case of Nintendo, why would he have the gall to say that the company has zero respect for one of their most beloved franchises at this point? Since by that logic, they could've announced a continuation of Other M or Federation Force, just to spit in the faces of Metroid fans some more, yet they never done that for this year's E3. Plus, they didn't just announce Metroid Prime 4, but even an actual Metroid game coming for the 3DS.

Second, wasn't Egypt one of the most requested ideas from gamers to have the next Assassin's Creed game be set in? Also, how do you know for certain that Assassin's Creed Origins is just going to be a mechanically confusing mess much like everything since Assassin's Creed 3, based on what they showed of the gameplay? Because, from what they showed off of it so far, it really doesn't look half bad, and might actually end up being a ton of fun, possibly bringing some much needed excitement and life back into the series.

Third, outside of the bizarre dance number and obligatory Just Dance sequel announcement, how was Ubisoft's E3 2017 press conference truly bad in any way? They didn't have any cringe that was prevalent from their past outings, there's a level of sincerity from many of the developers of games being announced, and there was a ton of focus on the actual games. So really, if you ask me, I'd actually say that they've surprisingly ended up winning this year's E3, which says a lot given the company's reputation.

Fourth, they've finally given the official release dates for long-awaited games, such as with Cuphead and South Park: The Fractured But Whole. What more do you even want there?

And lastly, what's wrong with having more of the insanity and fun that is Terry Crews? Since he's a truly precious being.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
HazardousCube said:
Was it just me or were the transitions from "E3" to "Friday the 13th: The Game" clumsy? (couldn't think of a better way to say it)
They were and it told me bugger all about Friday the 13th and less-than-usual about E3 - plus it seems like E3 happened at a lake with Jason running around as the spokesman for literally every company. (Which, what I heard about E3 from elsewhere, does seem frightingly accurate)

Honestly, next time this kind of issue appears: Two extra minutes, then plow through each topic in about 3 minutes with out-of-wack one minute transition from one topic to the other.
I know it's more work, but at least the result is more watchable than what we got.

Or just remember that you also got Extra Punctuation and spend about 15 seconds "I gonna talk about this in my Editorial/Blog/Whatever-You-Guys-Call-It about E3 and talk in the video about Friday the 13th - the game, not the calendar date."

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Sylocat said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
You may now proceed to the comments to complain that I didn't mention X, Y and Z
Okay, I'll complain that you didn't mention Devolver Digital, mainly because I thought it'd be right up your alley.
Honestly he probably thought it was cringe worthy and try-hardy.

William Brady

Jan 20, 2014
Sorry for having to bring this up again, but look, I have no idea wether Yahtzee ever replies on these forums at all, however I'm just going to say that this is probably the worst video he's put out thus far.

Because for one, in the case of Nintendo, why would he have the gall to say that the company has zero respect for one of their most beloved franchises at this point? Since by that logic, they could've announced a continuation of Other M or Federation Force, just to spit in the faces of Metroid fans some more, yet they never done that for this year's E3. Plus, they didn't just announce Metroid Prime 4, but even an actual Metroid game coming for the 3DS.

Second, wasn't Egypt one of the most requested ideas from gamers to have the next Assassin's Creed game be set in? Also, how do you know for certain that Assassin's Creed Origins is just going to be a mechanically confusing mess much like everything since Assassin's Creed 3, based on what they showed of the gameplay? Because, from what they showed off of it so far, it really doesn't look half bad, and might actually end up being a ton of fun, possibly bringing some much needed excitement and life back into the series.

Third, outside of the bizarre dance number and obligatory Just Dance sequel announcement, how was Ubisoft's E3 2017 press conference truly bad in any way? They didn't have any cringe that was prevalent from their past outings, there's a level of sincerity from many of the developers of games being announced, and a ton of focus on the actual games (regardless of wether any of them appeal to you or not). So really, if you ask me, I'd actually say that they've surprisingly ended up winning this year's E3, which says a lot given the company's reputation.

Fourth, they've finally given the official release dates for long-awaited games, such as with Cuphead and South Park: The Fractured But Whole. What more do you even want there?

And lastly, what's wrong with having more of the insanity and fun that is Terry Crews? Since he's a truly precious being.

William Brady

Jan 20, 2014
Silentpony said:
Sylocat said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
How so? Because it was really more like Nintendo Direct mixed with Adult Swim. I don't see what's remotely wrong with that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
That new BG&E 2 trailer can go die with that other BG&E 2 trailer from like 10 years ago as far as I'm concerned.

Yahtzee Croshaw said:
What's with all the fucking profanity?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
William Brady said:
Silentpony said:
Sylocat said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
How so? Because it was really more like Nintendo Direct mixed with Adult Swim. I don't see what's remotely wrong with that.
You may not, but Yahtzee has a very specific sense of humor, and everything at E3 has been committee designed to sand off everything offensive or problematic. So even while Devolver was going on and on about who the fuck cares, it was still very safe and controlled and PR friendly.
Yahtzee would have had more respect for them if instead of SNL Halloween skits, one guy in a chair just read quietly to himself for an hour, not saying a word, deliberately wasting time.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
At 3:52 I forgot that game so fast that I thought Yahtzee was talking Beyond 2 Souls.

Should I be surprised that Bethesda didn't get insulted?
Or acknowledge that Bethesda was that bland?
Because the only thing I remember from Bethesda is that Cat Headed Monkey.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Friday the 13th is such a broken piece of shit, there's no excuse for it being released in such an awful state, devs should've waited until October.

This year's E3 was pretty good for the most part(EA's conference was a total borefest, real surprised Yahtzee didn't go after them) Microsoft and Ubisoft were by far the best(though Origins looks fucking atrocious).

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
William Brady said:
Sorry for having to bring this up again, but look, I have no idea wether Yahtzee ever replies on these forums at all, however I'm just going to say that this is probably the worst video he's put out thus far.

Third, outside of the bizarre dance number and obligatory Just Dance sequel announcement, how was Ubisoft's E3 2017 press conference truly bad in any way? They didn't have any cringe that was prevalent from their past outings, there's a level of sincerity from many of the developers of games being announced, and a ton of focus on the actual games (regardless of wether any of them appeal to you or not). So really, if you ask me, I'd actually say that they've surprisingly ended up winning this year's E3, which says a lot given the company's reputation.

Yahtzee's right, don't be a Nintendo fanboy, Federation Force was easily the worst game of last year bar none. Sounds like you are new to Yahtzee, he exaggerates things for comic effect.

William Brady

Jan 20, 2014
Jacked Assassin said:
At 3:52 I forgot that game so fast that I thought Yahtzee was talking Beyond 2 Souls.

Should I be surprised that Bethesda didn't get insulted?
Or acknowledge that Bethesda was that bland?
Because the only thing I remember from Bethesda is that Cat Headed Monkey.
I'm surprised that Yahtzee hasn't torn Bethesda a new one, concerning the abysmal first impressions made on the Creation Club. But I'm guessing he just loves tickling their fancies, given their constant shilling of a 6 year old game.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Friday the 13th's very existance is a head-scratcher, somebody successfully funded a kickstarter to get the rights and make a game of this franchise specifically, as in, not a throwback to slasher films or a homage like Until Dawn, it had to be a Friday the 13th game. That's a weird commitment or an obsession. And apparently the developer, IllFonic, also co-developed Sonic Boom, yet they were weirdly absent when it came the time to point fingers and start blaming.

Speaking of Sonic and head-scratchers what's with the Mario Odyssey-Sonic 06 comparasion?

William Brady

Jan 20, 2014
darkrage6 said:
William Brady said:

Yahtzee's right, don't be a Nintendo fanboy, Federation Force was easily the worst game of last year bar none. Sounds like you are new to Yahtzee, he exaggerates things for comic effect.
You didn't pay attention to anything I've pointed out, have you? At no instance have I said that Other M and Federation Forces are good games.

Also, even though I am still a fan of Nintendo, especially given how they actually have done an overall good job with this year's E3, I'm not in any way a "fanboy". Considering that, even I've been rather critical of the dumb decisions the company's made, like how they've screwed over content creators on YouTube through ContentID claims, and taking shares of ad revenue.

William Brady

Jan 20, 2014
Igor-Rowan said:
Friday the 13th's very existance is a head-scratcher, somebody successfully funded a kickstarter to get the rights and make a game of this franchise specifically, as in, not a throwback to slasher films or a homage like Until Dawn, it had to be a Friday the 13th game. That's a weird commitment or an obsession. And apparently the developer, IllFonic, also co-developed Sonic Boom, yet they were weirdly absent when it came the time to point fingers and start blaming.

Speaking of Sonic and head-scratchers what's with the Mario Odyssey-Sonic 06 comparasion?
Yeah, if Kingdom Hearts is able to get away with any jarring contrast in art styles, especially involving the Pirates of the Caribbean world, why can't the same be said about Super Mario Odyssey?