Zero Punctuation: E3 2018 Round-Up

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
I was so hoping for a Fallout New Vegas remaster. Instead they threw Fallout 76 in our face an expected applause...

Not even touching.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Catasros said:
The ending credits are genuinly worth a read this week, and holy shit, it's been a while since I heard Yahtzee so genuinly angry about something as he was over Assassin's Creed Oddessy. For good reasons, granted.
The last time I remember him being that angry was his review of Metroid Prime Federation Force.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
crazygameguy4ever said:
i'm knid of confused on how Yahtzee is less interested on the new spider-man game every time stuff is shown on it.. that's the exact opposite attitude of pretty much every gamer, journalist and rabbit squirrel around right now.. it looks incredible (still not pre-ordering. since I never pre-order a game)... Ghosts of tsushima also looks ed amazing and again he was a bit own on it.. at least have a small amount of positivity for it's potential... and he didn't even mention the great looking remake of RE2 trailer and gameplay footage at E3
I think he got Ghosts mixed up with Days Gone since the former didn't look post-apocalyptic. Personally i'm not really big on feudal Japan so none of those Samurai games looked very interesting to me.

I've heard other people be skeptical about Spider-Man because of all the QTEs shown, i'm excited but i'm not surprised Yahtzee isn't, and he's never been a fan of protagonists that snark a lot, he attacked Nathan Drake and that guy from Sunset Overdrive for their snarking.

Yahtzee didn't have time to mention everything, and he's mentioned before that he didn't start getting into Resident Evil until the 4th game(same with me) so i'm not surprised he has little interest in a remake of a game he didn't like to begin with.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Canadamus Prime said:
darkrage6 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Ah Yahtzee's post-E3 roundup. The only thing I look forward to with E3. Honestly the slipping of the standards of gaming consumers are why I get pissed off at gamers almost as much as I get pissed off at the corporate fuckwads that pull the money-grubbing bullshit.
Also wow, Ubisoft, that's just sad. How could you forget that'd you'd already done the female character thing?

EDIT: Also does Bethesda really think it's a good idea to name a game after a shitty super hero team created by Rob Liefeld?
I quite enjoy Liefeld's work for the most part so i'm fine with the name, not sure if the game will be any godo though.
IDK, I mostly know them through Atop the Fourth Wall. Of course ignoring Linkara's commentary and judging for myself, Liefeld's art is still incredibly hideous. And Youngblood in particular looks very bland and generic.
I actually like his artwork, I find it interesting and striking, kind of reminds me of Tim Schafer's style in Brutal Legend.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
darkrage6 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
darkrage6 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Ah Yahtzee's post-E3 roundup. The only thing I look forward to with E3. Honestly the slipping of the standards of gaming consumers are why I get pissed off at gamers almost as much as I get pissed off at the corporate fuckwads that pull the money-grubbing bullshit.
Also wow, Ubisoft, that's just sad. How could you forget that'd you'd already done the female character thing?

EDIT: Also does Bethesda really think it's a good idea to name a game after a shitty super hero team created by Rob Liefeld?
I quite enjoy Liefeld's work for the most part so i'm fine with the name, not sure if the game will be any godo though.
IDK, I mostly know them through Atop the Fourth Wall. Of course ignoring Linkara's commentary and judging for myself, Liefeld's art is still incredibly hideous. And Youngblood in particular looks very bland and generic.
I actually like his artwork, I find it interesting and striking, kind of reminds me of Tim Schafer's style in Brutal Legend.
To each their own, I suppose.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Canadamus Prime said:
darkrage6 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
darkrage6 said:
Canadamus Prime said:

To each their own, I suppose.
I like Liefeld's artwork too; it's great for endless laughs [https://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings].

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Hey, Extra Punctuation (or whatever it was called) came back, even if it was just for the credits!
Miff surprised Just Cause 4 flew under the radar/video though.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Even good studios have knowingly released utter dreck. If you buy a game without checking reviews or let's plays first, you're an idiot who deserves to be ripped off. If that's the case, you probably are being ripped off.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Ryallen said:
I preorder games because I have Amazon Prime and preordering games gives Prime members a 20% discount. There's not really a better preorder bonus than "pay less for the game you're getting anyways."
That discount persists for about a month or so post-release too though, so you've still got time to check in with a critic you consider reliable before putting up your $48.

Kenjitsuka said:
Hey, Extra Punctuation (or whatever it was called) came back, even if it was just for the credits!
Miff surprised Just Cause 4 flew under the radar/video though.
It seems to mostly just be Just Cause 3: Another One from what I recall. Hopefully with more wacky bullshit like the jetpack and lightning gun, and less shitty endings.

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
darkrage6 said:
Catasros said:
The ending credits are genuinly worth a read this week, and holy shit, it's been a while since I heard Yahtzee so genuinly angry about something as he was over Assassin's Creed Oddessy. For good reasons, granted.
The last time I remember him being that angry was his review of Metroid Prime Federation Force.
What about "Hunt Down The Freeman" (or was that considered despair)?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It was nice of Yahtzee to write us a brand new novel for the end of the video.

The lowlight of E3 for me was that godawful mobile Command and Conquer game. People I didn't know playing an utterly uninteresting, simplistic game (I have actually played free Flash games that were better) while the developers tried to play it off as the most exciting thing ever. I could almost hear their shoes hitting the teeth of long-suffering C&C fans.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
The Rogue Wolf said:
The lowlight of E3 for me was that godawful mobile Command and Conquer game. People I didn't know playing an utterly uninteresting, simplistic game (I have actually played free Flash games that were better) while the developers tried to play it off as the most exciting thing ever. I could almost hear their shoes hitting the teeth of long-suffering C&C fans.
Genna Bain even remarked that she was glad her late husband (TotalBiscuit) wasn't there to see that. What an absolute disgrace to shit on a long-beloved series like that after so long. https://clips.twitch.tv/MildHorribleWombatShadyLulu

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
darkrage6 said:
Ryallen said:
I preorder games because I have Amazon Prime and preordering games gives Prime members a 20% discount. There's not really a better preorder bonus than "pay less for the game you're getting anyways."
Thaluikhain said:
He didn't have to say anything about the new Tomb Raider game beyond it being about her becoming the Tomb Raider. Nuff said just there.
I think it looks pretty damn awesome and i've quite enjoyed the previous two games.
Only played the first reboot, and that was alright, it's just that the games are called "Tomb Raider", not "someone that might become a Tomb Raider by the end of this game, or maybe the next one". That get old.

When Lara says "Oh no, can't we sort this out without violence?" just when I'm saying "Yeah, gonna shoot that guy in the face with an arrow", it grates a bit.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
darkrage6 said:
Wow I didn't even know Ubisoft acted like they hadn't done the playable female character thing with AC before, i'm as pissed as Yahtzee now, surprised he didn't also snark on Odyssey for the devs bragging about how the game adopted a Bioware style dialogue system that let you romance people.
Same. I didn't watch it so I had no idea they were bragging about 'finally' having a lady character. I assumed its just par for Ass creed games to have sibling protagonists now, simply the right call to make and doesn't take away from the story. Really kinda shitty they made such a big deal about it for Odyssey.
Well, they had a female protagonist before Syndicate as well. Apparently Ubisoft forgot about AC: Liberation(You know, despite having an in-game advertisement for it in Black Flag).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Thaluikhain said:
darkrage6 said:
Ryallen said:
Thaluikhain said:
He didn't have to say anything about the new Tomb Raider game beyond it being about her becoming the Tomb Raider. Nuff said just there.
I think it looks pretty damn awesome and i've quite enjoyed the previous two games.
Only played the first reboot, and that was alright, it's just that the games are called "Tomb Raider", not "someone that might become a Tomb Raider by the end of this game, or maybe the next one". That get old.

When Lara says "Oh no, can't we sort this out without violence?" just when I'm saying "Yeah, gonna shoot that guy in the face with an arrow", it grates a bit.
Cutscenes:"I'm sorry Mr. Deer for murdering you for food I need to survive", "I just killed a dude. OMG!"
Gameplay: 30 dead dudes full of machine gun bullets later.....

It's the gameplay/story segregation that's hard to get over, this bizarre gyrating between "I'm sorry I have to kill" and the murderfest between cutscenes she has no reaction to.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ubisoft will stop bringing up the female character option when people stop giving them shit about not having a female character in AC:Unity. So don't hold your breath, 'cuz grinding that axe never gets old for some people.

Cyberpunk looks promising. Fallout held some hope until they implied that well-written NPCs will be exchanged for random trolls with the ability to drop nuclear weapons on a hundred hours of crafting. I don't quite get the amount of hate Anthem seems to generate, other than that it looks bog-standard and they're suspiciously cagey about stringing together thirty seconds of continuous play.

Now, back to the ridiculous backlog of games indicating I shouldn't be looking at E3 coverage at all.

Feb 26, 2014
Disagree about Spider-Man. The game looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to it. The swinging looks great, the action okay, and the cosmetic upgrades to Spidey's villains are pretty good. Spidey's cringe jokes are par the course. I've honestly gotten used to it.

Also, Ghost of Tsushima is not post apocalyptic.

Callate said:
Ubisoft will stop bringing up the female character option when people stop giving them shit about not having a female character in AC:Unity. So don't hold your breath, 'cuz grinding that axe never gets old for some people.
I've seen Ubisoft and Unity get well deserved shit for a lot of reasons to this day, but that is not one I've encountered in recent memory. I think most people would rather forget Unity was a thing. Especially since Syndicate had the option and was actually good. Or at least playable.