Zero Punctuation: E3 2018 Round-Up

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
If you're gonna fling shit, try and fling shit that has some kind of impact. I point out that you're basically being angry that games journalists have differing opinions and asking what exactly you're angry about and if you expect gamers to have a hive mind, and you respond by calling me ignorant and posting a bunch of all caps links to one angry gamer bitching about SJWs. For the record, I got a few paragraphs through the first one before deciding reading anymore would be a waste of my time and dropped it. Actually respond to what people say and don't just vent your frustrations at them.

I get the feeling that you don't really care, considering you jumped ships to a completely unrelated thing with completely different context the second I brought up experiences that disproved your victim narrative.

Also complaining about historical inaccuracies in Battlefield V is some of the most, bar none, hilariously selective outrage I've ever seen over a video game. "It's so unrealistic! Get women out of my realistic games where everyone has a rifle that was only made nineteen times in real life, has tanks on the front line that never actually saw front-line combat, where you can use a wrench to fix a horse, and where I can take a man who's almost dead, stick a needle in him, and all of a sudden the twelve SMG rounds that shredded his torso are back and fine."

Hey, maybe if the people who don't like women in Battlefield V don't want to be seen as misogynistic, maybe they shouldn't be complaining about realism in a game that clearly hasn't given a damn about realism for years now. It just portrays that they have an utterly shallow understanding of the second world war and are demanding that that shallowness be pandered to. It isn't a good look. Also please point out where BF5 ever claimed to be historically accurate.

See the thread that focuses on this for other arguments by people who don't feel much sympathy for those who are highly selective in their outrage.

As for your Velvet Assassin point, the majority of all WWII video games in general is focused on "Fanfiction" characters. So, again, selective outrage.
Explain something to me, why are you so worried about and devoted towards defending ideologies that exist in the medium of gaming for no other reason than for people to make themselves feel a little less guilty about something in their lives, and provides absolutely nothing towards the progression of making better video games?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
If you're gonna fling shit, try and fling shit that has some kind of impact. I point out that you're basically being angry that games journalists have differing opinions and asking what exactly you're angry about and if you expect gamers to have a hive mind, and you respond by calling me ignorant and posting a bunch of all caps links to one angry gamer bitching about SJWs. For the record, I got a few paragraphs through the first one before deciding reading anymore would be a waste of my time and dropped it. Actually respond to what people say and don't just vent your frustrations at them.

I get the feeling that you don't really care, considering you jumped ships to a completely unrelated thing with completely different context the second I brought up experiences that disproved your victim narrative.

Also complaining about historical inaccuracies in Battlefield V is some of the most, bar none, hilariously selective outrage I've ever seen over a video game. "It's so unrealistic! Get women out of my realistic games where everyone has a rifle that was only made nineteen times in real life, has tanks on the front line that never actually saw front-line combat, where you can use a wrench to fix a horse, and where I can take a man who's almost dead, stick a needle in him, and all of a sudden the twelve SMG rounds that shredded his torso are back and fine."

Hey, maybe if the people who don't like women in Battlefield V don't want to be seen as misogynistic, maybe they shouldn't be complaining about realism in a game that clearly hasn't given a damn about realism for years now. It just portrays that they have an utterly shallow understanding of the second world war and are demanding that that shallowness be pandered to. It isn't a good look. Also please point out where BF5 ever claimed to be historically accurate.

See the thread that focuses on this for other arguments by people who don't feel much sympathy for those who are highly selective in their outrage.

As for your Velvet Assassin point, the majority of all WWII video games in general is focused on "Fanfiction" characters. So, again, selective outrage.
Explain something to me, why are you so worried about and devoted towards defending ideologies that exist in the medium of gaming for no other reason than for people to make themselves feel a little less guilty about something in their lives, and provides absolutely nothing towards the progression of making better video games?
You assume a lot of shit about me and the people who did this, for me it?s certainly wrong, I?m not defending anything, just poking holes in faulty logic.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:

You assume a lot of shit about me and the people who did this, for me it?s certainly wrong, I?m not defending anything, just poking holes in faulty logic.
Then would you please tell me what your take is one all that is happening since, in the discussion you and I have had, I believe that I have declared where I stand on subjects, but you haven't been as forthcoming with the same info.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Transdude1996 said:
After you call me ignorant and don't respond at all to what I said in post #59? Tell you what, actually reply to that and I'll consider it.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
After you call me ignorant and don't respond at all to what I said in post #59? Tell you what, actually reply to that and I'll consider it.
You mean the post where you said that you didn't even bother reading the articles that I provided? What other word aside from "ignorant" am I suppose to say?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...well this escalated quickly. 0_0

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
You mean the post where you said that you didn't even bother reading the articles that I provided? What other word aside from "ignorant" am I suppose to say?
Your articles had nothing to do with what I was talking about. I criticized you for acting like game journalists were supposed to have a hive mind, and you just ranted about ess jay double-us instead of replying to me. What else are you supposed to say? Something relevant.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
Your articles had nothing to do with what I was talking about.
How would you know when you haven't read them?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
Because I did take a peek at them and they were the same old tired ranting about how evil SJWs are.

Now then, do you have anything that actually responds to my original point (which was a question that can't really be answered with articles because it was me asking what YOU specifically expect from gaming journalists) or are we done here?

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
Because I did take a peek at them
Oh, what do you consider a "peek"? A "few" paragraphs, the first paragraph, the first sentence, the headline only? And, did you open the rest of the articles, or did you only stop with the first one (Like you previously said you did)?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
Transdude1996 said:
Because I did take a peek at them
Oh, what do you consider a "peek"? A "few" paragraphs, the first paragraph, the first sentence, the headline only? And, did you open the rest of the articles, or did you only stop with the first one (Like you previously said you did)?
And that is the last time I am willing to put up with me writing a whole paragraph and you replying to one sentence of it, ignoring everything else.

Good fucking day sir.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Transdude1996 said:
darkrage6 said:
Makabriel said:
The whole "Wahhhhh exclusives" crowd is pissing me off enough to actually post again. WTF cares about exclusivity? Microsoft had THE best set of games this years, and all the whiners have is "None are exclusive" Jesus fragging Christ people. Does it matter when the exclusives the other side have are crap and rehashes? Or games that have been trying to release for 2 years now (looking at you Spiderman).

Oh, and I'm sorry but I am going to say "but what about X Y Z), because there were a hand full of original, artistic 3rd party games produced by who? You guessed it. MS
Same here, i'm getting sick of MS getting shit on for actually being pro-consumer.
Microsoft? Pro-consumer? Excuse me, but may I ask what timeline you just hopped in from? Of the most recent examples, I don't see how shutting down and DMCAing fan projects [https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/04/micosoft-dmcas-twitch-streamers-playing-halo-online-eldewrito/57217/], adding lootboxes to your version of Miis [https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/01/10/the-xbox-one-itself-may-soon-be-getting-loot-boxes-for-avatar-items/], and calling your userbase toxic [https://gamerant.com/phil-spencer-xbox-one-fail-toxic-gaming/] can allow for a company to be considered as pro-consumer.
On top of the company being being hypocrities [https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-18/microsoft-removes-mention-of-cloud-work-for-ice-after-protests] when it comes to making political statements [https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2018/06/18/microsoft-statement-on-separating-families-at-the-southern-border/].

darkrage6 said:
Callate said:
Ubisoft will stop bringing up the female character option when people stop giving them shit about not having a female character in AC:Unity. So don't hold your breath, 'cuz grinding that axe never gets old for some people.

Cyberpunk looks promising. Fallout held some hope until they implied that well-written NPCs will be exchanged for random trolls with the ability to drop nuclear weapons on a hundred hours of crafting. I don't quite get the amount of hate Anthem seems to generate, other than that it looks bog-standard and they're suspiciously cagey about stringing together thirty seconds of continuous play.

Now, back to the ridiculous backlog of games indicating I shouldn't be looking at E3 coverage at all.
Anthem looks dull, the fact that Bioware's talent is being wasted on this instead of another ME game is what annoys people, and when Anthem inevitably fails Bioware will be shut down like all the other EA studios.
You really want to give Bioware another chance when 90% of the original staff were gone by the time they made Mass Effect 3 and after the disaster that was Andromeda?
Also the grievances against Ubisoft were totally legit considering their absolutely terrible excuses for why they couldn't make female character models in the first place. Also you missed Yahtzee's point, which was that Ubisoft seemed to totally forget they had already let you play as a female character in Syndicate, them avoiding that seems very shady to me.
It's a way for them to dodge any actual criticism anyone may have towards the game and give the studio brownie points. "Oh, you don't like Odyssey or see anything in the game that looks appealing? That must be because you can't get past the fact that you can play as a girl now." And, it's useless to argue with anyone about anything beyond that point because you can tell the character of the individual by the simple fact that they want to shut you up by throwing a label your way. It's nothing new, and public has been tired of this bull for the past 4 years. Just look up at how with this E3, you have journalist and publications singing praises about how "look at how far gaming has progressed and how inclusive it is" [https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44504344], meanwhile talking out of their other end about how gaming is still a medium overrun with prejudice and hated. [https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/14/17465102/women-protagonists-video-games-e3] You cannot make these people happy, and people are tired of this shit.
Anyone who links to stupid sites like "One Angry Gamer"(clearly run by someone who is all butthurt that he's a virgin loser that women want to avoid like the plague) is not worth taking seriously.

ME3 and Andromeda were good for what they were in my eyes.

No the "public" is not tired of this, when you say "the public" you mean "a vocal minority of alt-right shitheads that get all triggered and butthurt at the mere notion of women and minorities not being treated like second-class citizens"

I tell you have negative I.Q. from your asinine posts. You're the one trying to score brownie points by sucking off that loser website.

MS are clearly being more pro-consumer then Sony right now, that you cannot argue against.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
darkrage6 said:
Anyone who links to stupid sites like "One Angry Gamer"(clearly run by someone who is all butthurt that he's a virgin loser that women want to avoid like the plague) is not worth taking seriously.
Yes, so much so that journalists allowed him into their secret club, [http://thisisvideogames.com/gamergatewiki/index.php?title=William_Usher#GameJournoPros_Background] the same club that attacked former editor-in-chief of THIS site, Greg Tito. [https://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/10/gamergate-game-journalist-steps-forward-to-discuss-gamejournopros-secret-mailing-list/]
darkrage6 said:
ME3 and Andromeda were good for what they were in my eyes.
Okay, if you consider a "good game" to have art assets stolen from DeviantArt, or have the developer blaming a game's failure on another game, released on none of the systems the game was available for, in a completely different genre and setting, using completely different gameplay, and released almost a month apart, that's your opion. Not mine.
darkrage6 said:
No the "public" is not tired of this, when you say "the public" you mean "a vocal minority of alt-right shitheads that get all triggered and butthurt at the mere notion of women and minorities not being treated like second-class citizens"
At what point did I say or even come close to implying that? Do you think of minorities and women as second-class citizens? Is that why you made such a claim? Why are you so filled with hatred to the point that you jump to conclusions such as this?
darkrage6 said:
I tell you have negative I.Q. from your asinine posts. You're the one trying to score brownie points by sucking off that loser website.
If a site has good information, why not use it? I very much disagree with a lot of the political pieces The Washington Post and CNN publish, but, if they still publish good articles and the facts, why shouldn't I use them?
darkrage6 said:
MS are clearly being more pro-consumer then Sony right now, that you cannot argue against.
I find it very interesting that you used the phrase "right now" as if what happens is the current year is suppose to absolve a company of their past sins. Also, the only things Microsoft have over Sony is backwards compatibility (Which is a joke because you might as well buy a 360 since just about every game compatible was also released on the PS3 and/or PC if not a current/past system, and none of the actual 360 exclusives are playable on the service, plus there's the bonus of a larger original Xbox library than anything the XB1 can offer) and cross-play (Which requires you to pay for online, a practice that,I thought, everyone who loves video games absolutely despises).

DamnedEyez

Mar 12, 2014
The AC thing is a bit disingenuous. Syndicate forced me to play the other character half the time...to the point I was wondering why we even had a choice. Origins even had missions playing as the female. The idea that I could pick one and play ONLY as them hit a major positive note for me. I hate games that have me playing as different characters. it's the quickest way of breaking any immersion I had.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Yahtzee killed it in this video. I was rolling over several of the jokes. Loved it.

"Yes Microsoft, we could. Hypothetically."

-edit-
Oh, and faithful gamer cynic here -- haven't pre-ordered a game in... I can't remember how long. I was tempted for some of the Dishonored shite, but luckily my attention span saved me there.

Aug 31, 2011
Ryallen said:
I preorder games because I have Amazon Prime and preordering games gives Prime members a 20% discount. There's not really a better preorder bonus than "pay less for the game you're getting anyways."
Oh damn, I forgot about that. Hrm. Still, I have kind of made a new rule for myself: No pre-ordering unless there's a solid history of non-disappointment and fuckery. CD Projekt Red and easily anything that's a Playstation exclusive (NMS doesn't exist, shhh). Outside of that, minimum 6-8 weeks before I'll buy it. Destiny 2 taught me that it may take that long before the 'Oh, this actually sucks' mood to sink in with friends and reviewers.

I'll probably also give the Payday devs a pass, too. I like that they allow you to play a DLC map that you don't have access to but your host does. Rockstar, on the other hand... Much as I am anticipating Red Dead, I dunno. I wasn't real keen on GTA IV and V. I liked what Volition did with Saints Row better.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Captain Marvelous said:
Disagree about Spider-Man. The game looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to it. The swinging looks great, the action okay, and the cosmetic upgrades to Spidey's villains are pretty good. Spidey's cringe jokes are par the course. I've honestly gotten used to it.
I've enjoyed a number of Spidey games since Gamecube 2. They do seem to miss out on being truly great but better than average.

Someone else posted about 20% discounts on pre-orders on Amazon. Reviewing.

That game with the Walking Dead guy? Yeah Yahtzee... what the heck is that going to be?