Zero Punctuation: Epic Mickey

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
I love the end where it said The Mad Doctor gave him Human Centipede vibes, made me remember mickey mania flash backs to fighting the mad doctor.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Mortrialus said:
k-ossuburb said:
WAHH!! WAHH!! Its not Mickey Mouse meets Silent Hill! Its unoriginal and kiddy! WAHH!
Fixed for truth.

In all seriousness though, Yahtzee's fans are the biggest sheep in the world outside of the SquareEnix fanboys who refused to acknowledge Final Fantasy XIV was a complete failure of a game in almost every way.
Um I asked a lot of people who played XIV and they said it sucked. Show me where these fan boys are so I can talk logic in to them.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Xerosch said:
I know it's only me but I'd really like Capcom's "Magical Quest" return. I really liked those even if they were pretty easy. And the music in the ice level of the first game is one of my favourite tracks.
I like you, the first Magical Quest game was the first game I owned and beat and I'm still waiting for it to return in some form to me (I can't find the gba cart T_T).

Bearclaw66

Mar 30, 2008
Yahtzee asked who this game was for. It was for Chris Antista, associate editor at GamesRadar and people like him. Big Disney dorks who know Disney well and enjoy the reverence it shows.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Mortrialus said:
k-ossuburb said:
WAHH!! WAHH!! Its not Mickey Mouse meets Silent Hill! Its unoriginal and kiddy! WAHH!
Fixed for truth.

In all seriousness though, Yahtzee's fans are the biggest sheep in the world outside of the SquareEnix fanboys who refused to acknowledge Final Fantasy XIV was a complete failure of a game in almost every way.
Changing other people's posts are we? How very mature.

Mortrialus

Jan 23, 2010
Translated said:
Mortrialus said:
k-ossuburb said:
Fixed for truth.

I enjoy watching and reading Yahtzee with a surprisingly high hit-rate that seems to be almost entirely independent of whether he likes the games I do or not. I think that's a mark of his communication/presentation style. Paradoxically, it's also the way a good diplomat is often described. But I digress.

Final Fantasy XIV seems to have had some really major issues. I'm not a fan of MMORPG games, so I can't comment on it in detail. What I can say is that I've had certain issues with many of the recent Final Fantasy games, despite the fact that it's been one of my favorite series and I consider myself to be a fan.

Being a fan of either content you mentioned doesn't make someone a "sheep". It's when we give up the choice to think for ourselves (in any context) that we may become "sheep". That's no more or less true for enjoying Yahtzee or a specific Final Fantasy game than anything else.

I'm sorry you feel like people aren't being discerning in consuming this program (which I personally find to be a really good one) and that you find the fact that people don't recognize your perspective on this specific game to be frustrating. I think we all can relate to at least one game that was like that, whether it was over-rated or overlooked.

In any case, Merry Christmas and I hope that you find the new year more enjoyable and that there are many opportunities for you to share those unexpected positive experiences with the rest of the forum. If anyone tries to give you shit about doing that, let me know: I've got your back. :)
Edit: I've wanted to take a jab at Yahtzee and his fans for a while, but that was too cruel considering how polite you were and I apologize. It was unneeded. Merry Christmas to you. Mine was actually pretty good.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Strange I thought that Yahtzee would praise the story (but he didn't talk much about it either). Oh well maybe we will get more info on Extra Punctuation

and I still dont see how this game isn't dark and edgy
Look at the original concept art then look up why none of it is in the game...Some people got an early look at the prototype and thought "OMGZ,THEY MADE MICKEY TEH EVILS!!!" So now the game is half-assed,that's pretty much what happened plus the games flaws are annoying,too many fetch quests,sucky camera,and overall monotony when you've repeated those 2D platforming sections for the millionth time,also you can't go to previous areas to do things you didn't made me too bored to press on. I still haven't sent it back yet though (I rented it from Gamefly)

Mortrialus

Jan 23, 2010
Alphakirby said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Strange I thought that Yahtzee would praise the story (but he didn't talk much about it either). Oh well maybe we will get more info on Extra Punctuation

Look at the original concept art then look up why none of it is in the game...Some people got an early look at the prototype and thought "OMGZ,THEY MADE MICKEY TEH EVILS!!!" So now the game is half-assed,that's pretty much what happened plus the games flaws are annoying,too many fetch quests,sucky camera,and overall monotony when you've repeated those 2D platforming sections for the millionth time,also you can't go to previous areas to do things you didn't made me too bored to press on. I still haven't sent it back yet though (I rented it from Gamefly)
Actually, that was proven false outright.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
k-ossuburb said:
That wasn't a reason for knocking the game down,you misunderstood,the thing was that all the old cartoon references most kids wouldn't know of,yet the game is too easy and defanged to the degree that not many adults would want to play. IMO,The actual gameplay was lacking due to it's flaws,the point is...Epic Mickey was extremely hyped and made by Warren Spector so when people played it...it was a disapointment,no Disney fanboy will change that P.S.A critic is SUPPOSED to pick apart a game based on said critic's opinions and in a way are much more trustworthy than mainstream reviewers because one out of 5 reviewers will always be bribed at some point,notice how only X-Play gave it a perfect review...
Edit:Almost forgot *Flame Shield*

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Mortrialus said:
Alphakirby said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:

Actually, that was proven false outright.
Which part are you reffering to

Mortrialus

Jan 23, 2010
Alphakirby said:
That wasn't a reason for knocking the game down,you misunderstood,the thing was that all the old cartoon references most kids wouldn't know of,yet the game is too easy and defanged to the degree that not many adults would want to play.
Yahtzee spent most of his review bitching about how its not "TEH DARKER AND EDGIER" and so did that guy. As far as easy and defanged (Whatever you mean by that term), I'm going to disagree.

Alphakirby said:
IMO,The actual gameplay was lacking due to it's flaws,the point is...Epic Mickey was extremely hyped and made by Warren Spector so when people played it...it was a disapointment,
It is, at the very least, an interesting experiment. Its held back by some considerable flaws, but there is still a lot of good in the game. Its going to polarize people, though this forum is almost unanimous about it because Yahtzee's fans are the 2nd biggest sheep on the planet behind Final Fantasy fan boys who do nothing but parrot his words and never form an opinion on things themselves.

Alphakirby said:
no Disney fanboy will change that P.S.A critic is SUPPOSED to pick apart a game based on said critic's opinions and in a way are much more trustworthy than mainstream reviewers because one out of 5 reviewers will always be bribed at some point,notice how only X-Play gave it a perfect review...
Don't take Yahtzee's word on anything he says. Yahtzee is and always will be that toad that developed a fucking god complex for making a few playable (Not good. Not spectacular. Playable) Point and Click adventure games. I remember him getting all emotional and saying "I have to remove myself for a bit my ego is hurting myself and my fans! Woe is me!" and he comes back with an even bigger ego than ever. He's a tool, and one that engages in sensationalistic hyperbole in just about every major point he makes.

I find it strange that you or anyone else actually like him at all. He isn't funny. He is at best amusing. Zero Punctuation has never been anything other than noise that holds your attention. Anything he says that might actually be funny is just him pointing out things that are already funny about the game. How many jokes has he made that are actually funny, that actually make you laugh? The only one I can think of one, the "Dick in the pudding" joke he made in his Prince of Persia retrospective and he stole that. I don't understand why so many people regard him as "ZOMG The best comedian on the internet so funny" when he doesn't actually make people laugh. I've seen people watch his videos. They don't laugh. They just sit blankly until the end where they say "Well that was entertaining".

Alphakirby said:
The rumor that Spector changed the game based on a focus group where a biker threated to kill him if he killed his childhood and all the other incarnations of it.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Mortrialus said:
Alphakirby said:
That wasn't a reason for knocking the game down,you misunderstood,the thing was that all the old cartoon references most kids wouldn't know of,yet the game is too easy and defanged to the degree that not many adults would want to play.
Yahtzee spent most of his review bitching about how its not "TEH DARKER AND EDGIER" and so did that guy. As far as easy and defanged (Whatever you mean by that term), I'm going to disagree.
Well you have a point,I suppose i was thinking of the platforming I only remember having trouble with the second Oswald stage trying to get the reel. P.S.Defanged means something that is originally dark and thinning it to reach a larger audience (Example:The original ideas for Epic Mickey were watered down for a larger audience)
Alphakirby said:
IMO,The actual gameplay was lacking due to it's flaws,the point is...Epic Mickey was extremely hyped and made by Warren Spector so when people played it...it was a disapointment,
It is, at the very least, an interesting experiment. Its held back by some considerable flaws, but there is still a lot of good in the game. Its going to polarize people, though this forum is almost unanimous about it because Yahtzee's fans are the 2nd biggest sheep on the planet behind Final Fantasy fan boys who do nothing but parrot his words and never form an opinion on things themselves.

Alphakirby said:
no Disney fanboy will change that P.S.A critic is SUPPOSED to pick apart a game based on said critic's opinions and in a way are much more trustworthy than mainstream reviewers because one out of 5 reviewers will always be bribed at some point,notice how only X-Play gave it a perfect review...
Don't take Yahtzee's word on anything he says. Yahtzee is and always will be that toad that developed a fucking god complex for making a few playable (Not good. Not spectacular. Playable) Point and Click adventure games. I remember him getting all emotional and saying "I have to remove myself for a bit my ego is hurting myself and my fans! Woe is me!" and he comes back with an even bigger ego than ever. He's a tool, and one that engages in sensationalistic hyperbole in just about every major point he makes.

I find it strange that you or anyone else actually like him at all. He isn't funny. He is at best amusing. Zero Punctuation has never been anything other than noise that holds your attention. Anything he says that might actually be funny is just him pointing out things that are already funny about the game. How many jokes has he made that are actually funny, that actually make you laugh? The only one I can think of one, the "Dick in the pudding" joke he made in his Prince of Persia retrospective and he stole that. I don't understand why so many people regard him as "ZOMG The best comedian on the internet so funny" when he doesn't actually make people laugh. I've seen people watch his videos. They don't laugh. They just sit blankly until the end where they say "Well that was entertaining".

Alphakirby said:
The rumor that Spector changed the game based on a focus group where a biker threated to kill him if he killed his childhood and all the other incarnations of it.
Well I don't believe reviews because they are usually only opinions, I played Epic Mickey and it got boring the camera didn't work, I personally couldn't care less if it was "Dark and Edgy" the platforming sections (mainly the jungle one) started to aggrivate me because it seemed that I would rapidly have to go back and forth constantly,the levels always reset to the degree that I just stopped painting everything (although thinning out people was a nice distraction) And it was nothing but fetch quests most of the time,one that was difficult enough for me to stop playing,it didn't seem as it was there at all and I already did the wrong thing with the tiki mask fetch quest and I wanted a good moral ending. So overall my opinion of the game was that it was a dissapointment to my expectations,reviews are only opinions until they actually mention game-breaking issues like camera issues(Which again almost everyone's reviews have brought up) and bugs, otherwise it's primariliy the reviewer's opinion, I just don't like it when people flame certain things, it's Youtube rules,if you don't like it,why comment on it. I'm not calling you a troll,you do have good points,but don't try to ruin other peoples fun,I mean the people who have diminished or glorified thoughts based on reviews that are so busy talking opinionitive bulls@#% that it should still be worth a try or a bit of suspicion if the game seems too good to be true. So once again I agree with your points,but I will still keep to my own opinions and thoughts. Also thanks for updating me on that focus group,I really don't check news of any kind,except when my magizines come around.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Alphakirby said:
k-ossuburb said:
That wasn't a reason for knocking the game down,you misunderstood,the thing was that all the old cartoon references most kids wouldn't know of,yet the game is too easy and defanged to the degree that not many adults would want to play. IMO,The actual gameplay was lacking due to it's flaws,the point is...Epic Mickey was extremely hyped and made by Warren Spector so when people played it...it was a disapointment,no Disney fanboy will change that P.S.A critic is SUPPOSED to pick apart a game based on said critic's opinions and in a way are much more trustworthy than mainstream reviewers because one out of 5 reviewers will always be bribed at some point,notice how only X-Play gave it a perfect review...
That's not even my quote, my original post was changed by someone who wanted to "bash Yahtzee fans" for some reason and he/she changed my post to whatever the hell that is. Go back a few pages to see the original, you're essentially replying to nothing here.

Mortrialus

Jan 23, 2010
k-ossuburb said:
Alphakirby said:
k-ossuburb said:
That's not even my quote, my original post was changed by someone who wanted to "bash Yahtzee fans" for some reason and he/she changed my post to whatever the hell that is. Go back a few pages to see the original, you're essentially replying to nothing here.
"Some reason?" Your entire post is just one long winded whining session about how its not dark enough.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Mortrialus said:
k-ossuburb said:
Alphakirby said:
k-ossuburb said:
"Some reason?" Your entire post is just one long winded whining session about how its not dark enough.
That's not the point I was making, sorry for not being clear. I was saying that it isn't reaching its full creative potential, that's all. I don't care about the mood, only that it's disappointing that with a brand as big as Disney you'd expect something with a lot more quality, especially considering the amount of time this was in development.

Anyway, let's just pretend I said:

"Herpa derp, this game suckzors becoz I dun leik Disney an i has no opinions of my own, herpa derpa derp."

Thank you.

Mortrialus

Jan 23, 2010
k-ossuburb said:
Mortrialus said:
k-ossuburb said:
Alphakirby said:
k-ossuburb said:
That's not the point I was making, sorry for not being clear. I was saying that it isn't reaching its full creative potential, that's all. I don't care about the mood, only that it's disappointing that with a brand as big as Disney you'd expect something with a lot more quality, especially considering the amount of time this was in development.

"Herpa derp, this game suckzors becoz I dun leik Disney an i has no opinions of my own, herpa derpa derp."

Thank you.
I'm pretty sure what happened is that Warren Spector was nerdgasming over having complete access to the Disney vaults, and was all like "Wow! We need to put this poster in here! Oh we need to add this lamp post! Oh unused concept art! Thats going in." and then the deadline rolls around.

It doesn't feel creatively compromised in the sense like executives said "No you can't do this." Really feels like Disney set a deadline for the 2010 holiday season release and they missed the deadline, likely because they focused on adding Disney stuff instead of refining the camera and putting more effort into the quest design.

If you look at places like Mickey Junk Mountain, there is SO much reverence to Disney, so many shout outs, there is no way this wasn't a labor of love.

Its an interesting experiment, and one that I enjoyed. It demands a sequel that improves upon it, however.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
k-ossuburb said:
Mortrialus said:
k-ossuburb said:
Alphakirby said:
k-ossuburb said:

Thank you.
You're right about the waste of potential there were so many things that could've been done! =)

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I thought it was funny for a while how Yahtzee had that personal challenge to scar us further every episode with terrible analogies, but it's seriously not funny anymore (except for that first bit). Knock it off. If for no other reason, then just so you don't run out someday.

Anyway, Epic Mickey. Talk about a game that seems unfinished; even the title was a tentative project name they just forgot to change, let alone the gameplay. I'm irritated that the company didn't put the appropriate amount of time (not effort, there was plenty of that) into this... don't companies get that longer development time = more polished, better reviewed and accepted game? Deadlines are great for creating that special brand of panic that makes great ideas flow, but what if said deadline is not this many levels or to get past this creative hurdle, but the actual release date of the game? Epic Mickey happens. This is Disney, they have the money to spend to keep this longer in development, what were they thinking?! It's Sonic 2006 all over again.

goddz001

Aug 5, 2009
i was waiting for yahtzee for make this review as soon as i played it i knew he would make the game funny as hell :')