Zero Punctuation: Epic Mickey

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
gaming Outlaw said:
My god people,don't just take his word for it.yahzee is just....yahzee,not the first person
to come to for buying advice.It's funny that even though he knows the market in games has
stagnated he doesn't speak a word of a game like this being a new, fresh,risk taker.And
thats what it is,even if mickey didn't try to kill him self,which must be the only way
a game can be edgy.

On a side note let me remind you that Disney have(whether you know it or not)
always been the edgiest guys around.Bambi's mother gets shot at the beginning of the
movie and no one has a mom,that edgy stuff.(they just don't want you to think of it that way)
OH! but that´s the thing!!!, thats the "BEFORE" Disney, the one that actually treated kids and children like PEOPLE, the NOW Disney is actually more concerned of "what would the parent say??" and have a whole censorship board before them, just so they dont "Traumatize" the kids with movies like (what do you guess??) BAMBI.

Disney WAS edgy and interesting and made you think, but in this world where the people cry in one voice "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" they have to play it safe.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
HentMas said:
i agree, but in the end it makes no differenc what yo do or dont, and in the end it looked like something was missing, and that takes out the "edge" of doing something "forbiden" or "wrong" it then just boils down into "i´m a jerk" or "i´m not" and if you want all the credits you´ll be a jerk, and if you dont you will not, because there is no real context for doing either thing than money.

but thats my opinion.
I haven't played the game (a Cataclysm got in the way) so I cant say to much about the moral system but from what I heard if your evil them Mickey will change his appearance or something like that

pretty sure that Extra Credit can do some sort of episode about it

Carbo

Dec 17, 2010
HentMas said:
OH! but that´s the thing!!!, thats the "BEFORE" Disney, the one that actually treated kids and children like PEOPLE, the NOW Disney is actually more concerned of "what would the parent say??" and have a whole censorship board before them, just so they dont "Traumatize" the kids with movies like (what do you guess??) BAMBI.

Disney WAS edgy and interesting and made you think, but in this world where the people cry in one voice "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" they have to play it safe.
That's the thing though - this game was made in order to reinvigorate Mickey's more mischevious side and rebrand it's market.

gaming Outlaw

Sep 21, 2010
Maybe its not supposed to be.Maybe he did that for a reason.Maybe your jumping to conclusions.
Maybe reflection time is set for the end of the game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They should make a game around one of those old WW2 cartoons, where Donald Duck takes on Hitler. Now that would be epic.

Unfortunately, the good old days of controversial Disney are long gone.

Translated

Sep 24, 2010
Lordofthesuplex said:
Surprised Yahtzee didn't mention that this was by Spector in this review at all. You'd think after trashing Brutal Legend and Tim Schaeffer, he'd be all over insulting another game designer unfairly.
RTR said:
Yeah Disney really copped out on the whole "edgy" angle that Warren Spector had proposed.

Wait a second...
no mention of Warren Spector? Well, given Yahtzee's opinion, it was for the best.
Essentially, there's two ways to look at this and form an expectation: based on the games Yahtzee has talked about in the past and based upon his explicit mention of specific individuals. Yes, Yahtzee has talked about Deus Ex, Thief: The Dark Project and System Shock as particularly influential titles in the past. Yes, Warren Spector has had a quite an influence on computer games since the early 90s and well into this last decade. But despite the strength of that contribution, Yahtzee has never singled him out in the past for his contribution.

Thus, it's only fair that after not homing in on Spector's career highlights (more of which can be easily gleaned from his Wikipedia entry at present) that Yahtzee remains equally silent about a less well received title.

In addition, the comparison to Tim Schaeffer seems a little odd since (regardless of the merit of the respective work) Yahtzee has never suggested that anyone hurt themselves for not having played a Warren Spector game. Well, at least he hasn't on Zero Punctuation so far: I would hesitate to make grand proclamations about his comments in his personal life. :)

CMWaters

Sep 17, 2008
Fun review.

I don't agree with it, but fun review.

I have the game and have enjoyed it.

The 2D levels actually make me want to look up the toons on YouTube (save for the one Oswald and one Mickey cartoon that they throw into the game).

Fetch quests never bothered me really. I don't know why.

I never really had that much of a problem with the camera. As I move I constantly use the + and it's fine for me.

As for the comments about Disney's edginess/non-edginess and risk/non risk...this game was a risk as they have mentioned that they want to change Mickey away from the goody-two-shoes he's been to something more along the lines of his late 20s version. Plus, semi modern Disney (even though it too is 20 years old) had some riskiness: Darkwing Duck had a few times where characters actually DIED (sure they didn't mention death, but still).

OK, I've said my piece.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Carbo said:
HentMas said:

That's the thing though - this game was made in order to reinvigorate Mickey's more mischevious side and rebrand it's market.
mmm... i didnt thought of it that way... and if thats what they were aiming for i think they got cold feet, but thats just me.

gaming Outlaw

Sep 21, 2010
We need more games like this one and i'm going to buy it. Because if I do some one
at some other company or maybe Disney will look and say hay this made money we can do more
games like that but we can't rip it of so lets make this tweek and this adjustment and
then we have a hole new,NEW game.Or the guys at Disney will say hay you want "edgy"you got
it camera issue no problem,and the gaming industry it all the better because of it.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
HentMas said:
i agree, but in the end it makes no differenc what yo do or dont, and in the end it looked like something was missing, and that takes out the "edge" of doing something "forbiden" or "wrong" it then just boils down into "i´m a jerk" or "i´m not" and if you want all the credits you´ll be a jerk, and if you dont you will not, because there is no real context for doing either thing than money.

but thats my opinion.
I haven't played the game (a Cataclysm got in the way) so I cant say to much about the moral system but from what I heard if your evil them Mickey will change his appearance or something like that

that concept was cancelled on early development, sooo, no, it doesnt change "appearance"

it was on the escapist a few months back.

hydroblitz

May 15, 2009
Ugh, the mascots. I have never liked them, and still give them a wide berth at 15. I went to see tron legacy the other day, Damn Yogi bear was in front of the theatre.

Anyways, I will never forgive disney for abandoning that art style. it was beautiful, tragic, and nostalgic. plus, the post apocalyptic steampunk vibe really appealed to me.

boradis

Nov 18, 2009
A lot of truly old school Mickey comics were hardcore adventure stories.

I remember one where he was flying his plane over the jungle looking for some friends who were lost, but the plane went down and he broke his leg in the crash. So he had to spend the rest of that issue fighting his way through the underbrush while wearing a splint.

gaming Outlaw

Sep 21, 2010
HentMas said:
gaming Outlaw said:
My god people,don't just take his word for it.yahzee is just....yahzee,not the first person
to come to for buying advice.It's funny that even though he knows the market in games has
stagnated he doesn't speak a word of a game like this being a new, fresh,risk taker.And
thats what it is,even if mickey didn't try to kill him self,which must be the only way
a game can be edgy.

On a side note let me remind you that Disney have(whether you know it or not)
always been the edgiest guys around.Bambi's mother gets shot at the beginning of the
movie and no one has a mom,that edgy stuff.(they just don't want you to think of it that way)

Oh yah,because nothing with the Disney name came out this year that could be considered
dark and edgy,oh wait TOY STORY 3.THAT was edgy stuff.They make reference to hell and purgatory.
And it was disturbingly sad,and parents don't care if its sad they care about sex and violence.
And in a cartoon you can have all the fun with violence you want.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
gaming Outlaw said:
Oh yah,because nothing with the Disney name came out this year that could be considered
dark and edgy,oh wait TOY STORY 3.THAT was edgy stuff.They make reference to hell and purgatory.
And it was disturbingly sad,and parents don't care if its sad they care about sex and violence.
thats Pixar and people like to separate Pixar from Disney
HentMas said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
HentMas said:

but thats my opinion.

that concept was cancelled on early development, sooo, no, it doesnt change "appearance"

it was on the escapist a few months back.
No I mean he becomes and blob like and inky

redragon5000

Aug 11, 2009
I have to applaud Yahtzee for not blaming a 3rd Party Wii game's gameplay shortcomings on Nintendo. Bravo, Yahtzee, I mean that.

That being said, it was a fun video. I can't say I agree with him, since I haven't played the game yet (I'm planning to get it before the month is over), but it was a fun video nontheless.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
gaming Outlaw said:
woah... i seriously believed that Toy Story 3 was "produced by Pixar Animation Studios" and only "released by Walt Disney Pictures."

oh... THATS RIGHT [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Story_3]

in the end "Disney" didnt actually make a Movie, they just released it to the public, that is to say, if there is some kind, any kind of back lash, PIXAR would be the ones taking the heat

thank you for your understanding.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
No I mean he becomes and blob like and inky
ok... i might be wrong here, but i´m pretty sure that doesnt happen in the game, but i havent played it in every possible way