Zero Punctuation: Exclusives Showdown

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Cool, a special. Not sure about the singing (don't give up your day job Yahtzee!) but I'm glad the PS4 won, so that's good.

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
First whispering jam last week and now "singing" this week, it's like hes trying to scare us.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I liked those lovely transitions, and some of the jokes (like the Killzone Heilgast one brought up in XP). But this just feels like a lazy E3 video to the point where Ryse is almost summarised exactly as it was in the E3 video and Dead Rising 3 has the exact same summary as the E3 video. It also just felt like smug PC supremacy which you could find in abundance (to put it charitably) in the forums, especially because the 7th Gen was completely forgotten in the description of "good games".

I wonder whether any of these games will be given a full review.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
This PC master race stuff has really stopped being funny and has begun looking like crass bitterness. I intend to be a PC4 gamer this generation (PC + PS4), so I can happily have the best of both worlds.

DeLukas

May 7, 2008
I swear I remember "The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" was meant to ironic. However, it seem to have instead been one of those strange moments like when The Onion predicts the future.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Only reason I might consider a new console right now is to start collecting those freebies from PS+ before they cycle out but then again I don't have a free HDMI port and those freebies aren't looking too hot right now anyway (I played a lot of Super Stardust and even a bit of regular Stardust back in the day but HD just didn't do it for me).

PC supremacy in this context makes sense, one gen of consoles is winding down, the next is winding up but the PC's supply of games remains uninterrupted and in terms of exclusives there are incredible amounts of games on the PC that never see a console port, mostly from smaller developers as it seems that consoles have now become the exclusive territory of the AAA blockbuster game which are becoming so samey that it gets hard to say "this is a 400$ improvement over what you've gotten tired of playing last gen!" For me it's extra tough since the AAA focus genres are almost all genres I don't like. Much more enjoyable to get, say, Descent with loot from some indie dev on the PC.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Haha I'm really liking the acapella while announcing the category of the game. I'm on a PC so I don't get to add anything else to the discussion, since I don't get to play any of these exclusives.

Driving about, driving about, driving about, driving about.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
DeLukas said:
I swear I remember "The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" was meant to ironic. However, it seem to have instead been one of those strange moments like when The Onion predicts the future.
Seeing how he ended up with "another grimy basement next door", I'm pretty sure he was still being sarcastic ^^

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
If you'll excuse me, I'll go back to playing the best exclusive of the year: Super Mario 3D World.

Yeah, if you are going by games currently out, there isn't a reason to get either a PS4 or a Xbox One. That said, I suffered a great deal with the PS3 because I waited to get one. I waited till MGS4 came out, and that was the biggest mistake I could have made, because that turned out to be when everyone else wanted a PS3. They were sold out everywhere, and I had to wait a while to play the game I already bought. That pissed me off because PS3s weren't selling at all before that point, in fact I never not saw one when I went to a store. Should have gotten a PS3 when they were available if I was going to buy one anyway... So yeah, I already have my PS4. Not going through that shit again. Plus I hate the slim models of everything that eventually come out later. I want the originals on my shelf, I will settle for nothing else.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
You wouldn't rent out the Royal Albert Hall for a "who can spunk the furthest contest."
This seems overly presumptuous. If you want to have a classy and highly attended spunking contest, then why wouldn't you rent out the Royal Albert Hall? Seems entirely appropriate to me.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
DeLukas said:
Ironic or not, it is coming closer to reality now isn't it.
I never really expect any good exclusives at a console's launch (you occasionally get a fluke like WiiSports) but I'm going to have to see some better exclusives than we saw last gen to compel me to buy a ps4 or xbone.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I feel sorry for everyone who rushed out to buy these damn consoles. Then again I felt the same way with the last three generations as well. I mean neither has any game that is actually worth playing yet so you're paying for a big shiny plastic brick to sit in your house for god knows how many months until a game comes along worth playing on the bloody thing. In the mean time your only option is waste money on crap games or not. Never mind the first wave of these machines always tend to be the ones most prone to breaking. Just no logic to the whole thing at all.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Vegosiux said:
DeLukas said:
Seeing how he ended up with "another grimy basement next door", I'm pretty sure he was still being sarcastic ^^
A little bit for sure. Lol, did you see the line in the credits that says, "I talk shit, but I'm wrapping up these credits quickly because my preordered xbone is ready for pickup."

And woohoo for Titan fall on PC. I'm going to be disappointed when it doesn't live up to my overblown expectations though. The hype is already making me mentally add features I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have.

Aardvaarkman said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
You wouldn't rent out the Royal Albert Hall for a "who can spunk the furthest contest."
This seems overly presumptuous. If you want to have a classy and highly attended spunking contest, then why wouldn't you rent out the Royal Albert Hall? Seems entirely appropriate to me.
It's more about the acoustics. While the Royal Albert is great for music, the halls reverberation time of about 1.5 to 2 seconds is a little much. As you can see from this reverberation time function, competitive spunking is best done in halls with a value under one second: TR[1kHz] = [0,4 log (V+62)] ? 0,38 TR in seconds and V=volume of the room in m3.

stiffy

Mar 23, 2010
"Driving aboot. Driving aboot. Driving aboot. Driving aboot." sung to the theme of Doctor Who. We have a new contender for miracle of sound.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Or, just get a 3DS.

Wasn't Knack an exclusive as well? Of all the launch-games it seemed most interesting, which isn't saying much.