Zero Punctuation: Extinction and Attack on Titan 2

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Made a JRPG one of his top 5 last year, and now this.
One of us! One of us! One of us!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Aeshi said:
Forget that, I'm starting to build my bomb shelter. The doomsayers were right.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Aw crap, Yahtzee just ruined Attack on Titan for me with his better Titan-fightin' tactics. Well, he would have, if the series itself didn't do that with their "Surprise! This character you almost forgot about is a Titan!" twists with no proper build-up. My reactions are less "What? They're the Titan the heroes were looking for all along?!" and more "Wait, who's that person?"
RaikuFA said:
Aeshi said:
So what's the next step, raining blood? Or flying livestock?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Attack on Titan would be so much better if they just used giant robots. Also maybe as a twist the robots are too hard for one pilot, so a second pilot has to help. And they have lasers, and plasma guns and huge saw blades.
That way instead of angsty tweens and teens being angsty and jumping around, you have trained grim serious soldiers in giant robots killing giant monsters.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Silentpony said:
Attack on Titan would be so much better if they just used giant robots. Also maybe as a twist the robots are too hard for one pilot, so a second pilot has to help. And they have lasers, and plasma guns and huge saw blades.
That way instead of angsty tweens and teens being angsty and jumping around, you have trained grim serious soldiers in giant robots killing giant monsters.
Ah yes, grim soldiers, because everyone remembers the protagonists of Call of Duty as some of the most memorable and relatable characters in recent memory.

In all honesty, Attack on Titan is by no means a masterpiece, it's the anime equivalent of the world's most expensive B-movie as far as writing goes, but i'd still take its cast over yet another Sergeant Generico, and quite frankly giant robots would completely ruin everything, the whole point is that titans are supposed to be unimaginably huge monsters we can't hope to match and so have to resort to either hiding behind massive walls or desperately fighting them with suicidal techniques that only work half the time. Saying you want Attack on Titan with giant robots is like saying you want an animated version of Pacific Rim 2

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Dude, if you want to go watch Pacific Rim, go watch Pacific Rim.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Never cared that much for spectacle fighting (Not hack & slash..sigh) games myself, it lends itself too readily to quick-time events and the "cinematic" style with over-the-shoulder cam (Not over-the-head...Yet another mix-up of terms) and lengthy movie segments.
I'm not trying to discourage them being on consoles, where they actually fit somewhat due to consoles inherent limitations, but I could wish they weren't ported and promoted so heavily to PC's.

I can agree with Yahtzee that at least it's not Titan A.E. though. ,)

Parker Stetson

Apr 25, 2018
bificommander said:
No, now there's also angsty teens piloting those giant robots.
So basically Attack on Titan, but nothing like Attack on Titan?

One of the most important things in the first 20ish volumes of the manga is how weak people are compared to the titans. That all kinda goes our the window by the start of Volume 22, for reasons that I won't explain for the sake of avoiding spoilers.

HazardousCube

Apr 20, 2017
CyanCat47 said:
Silentpony said:
Ah yes, grim soldiers, because everyone remembers the protagonists of Call of Duty as some of the most memorable and relatable characters in recent memory.

In all honesty, Attack on Titan is by no means a masterpiece, it's the anime equivalent of the world's most expensive B-movie as far as writing goes, but i'd still take its cast over yet another Sergeant Generico, and quite frankly giant robots would completely ruin everything, the whole point is that titans are supposed to be unimaginably huge monsters we can't hope to match and so have to resort to either hiding behind massive walls or desperately fighting them with suicidal techniques that only work half the time. Saying you want Attack on Titan with giant robots is like saying you want an animated version of Pacific Rim 2
r/woosh

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
Aw crap, Yahtzee just ruined Attack on Titan for me with his better Titan-fightin' tactics. Well, he would have, if the series itself didn't do that with their "Surprise! This character you almost forgot about is a Titan!" twists with no proper build-up. My reactions are less "What? They're the Titan the heroes were looking for all along?!" and more "Wait, who's that person?"
RaikuFA said:
Aeshi said:
But where is he going to find a trained pet spider to work the buttons?

/on topic: Little more hate for Titan AE than I care for but to each his own.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
RaikuFA said:
Aeshi said:
I'm seeing frogs raining down from the sky.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Yeah the title's one of those weird cases where the Japanese rightsholders insisted that foreign releases stick to their weird half-competent English translation instead of something sensible because they think it sounds cooler.

Anyways the reason they don't use guns is because their firearms tech is inexplicably shit. They have some ye-olde cannons that can fire off grapeshot or not-very-accurate HE rounds, but that's about it. Apparently the discrepancy between garbage guns and absurdly functional grappling jetpacks takes a vaguely conspiratorial bent much later in the story, but for the most part it's just there to enable slick web-swinging blade acrobatics.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ToastyMozart said:
Anyways the reason they don't use guns is because their firearms tech is inexplicably shit. They have some ye-olde cannons that can fire off grapeshot or not-very-accurate HE rounds, but that's about it. Apparently the discrepancy between garbage guns and absurdly functional grappling jetpacks takes a vaguely conspiratorial bent much later in the story, but for the most part it's just there to enable slick web-swinging blade acrobatics.
Pft, I want to know how they built those series of concentric hundred foots walls around entire countries. Trump can't get one 12 ft wall built, and he's got Mexico to pay for that.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
"Surely the translators should have realized it's about Attacks by titans rather then Attacks on Titans"

Attack on Titan is a mistranslation on "Attacker Titan" which is the name of Erin's Titan form. Similarly named as the "Female Titan", "Armored Titan", And "Colossal Titan" are named.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Thaluikhain said:
ToastyMozart said:
Pft, I want to know how they built those series of concentric hundred foots walls around entire countries. Trump can't get one 12 ft wall built, and he's got Mexico to pay for that.
....Well...and I warn you, we're about to go straight into bullshit lane, downhill with the breaks removed, so proceed with caution. I'll say that there's a less bullshit excuse in that there's a powerful faction within the walls deliberately stagnating tech development. As for how that works and how the walls got built? *Sigh* Oh boy.

The world outside the walls is actually at a World War 1 tech level, bolt action rifles, zeppelins, trains, mounted machine-guns and artillery, train mounted cannons, stuff like that. According to legend, thousands of years ago the people of Ymir made a deal with the devil to gain the power to turn people into Titans as well as the ability to turn into Titans themselves, which created nine titan shifters (people that could turn into Titans at will and maintain full control) and the ability to turn others of their kin into dumb Titans that one of the shifters, the Coordinator, could control, and Ymir's people used this power to take over the world. (The devil thing is acknowledged as in universe that it may be revisionist history to slander though) Eventually, the people overthrew Ymir's people, the Elysians, when they stole the power of many of the Titan shifters, and many of them were driven into an island nation around the size of Britain and Scotland, where the coordinator controlled giant titans to construct the walls to keep his people that managed to escape safe. Titans have a harden ability that can more or less create giant walls from nothingness when used correctly, and this was used to create the walls, with the giant titans still inside the walls and they will be awakened if the wall is destroyed. The coordinator warned the outside world that the giant titans would rampage across the planet if the walls were breached and then ordered isolationist policies on his own people, suppressing information on the outside world and preventing the development of new technology to keep them all penned up in the walls.

Also, Marley, the nation that stole the Titan shifters, is using the power they stole to turn Eldians, that didn't escape (who are kept in a very World War 2 looking ghetto) and who step out of line into Titans after they dump them outside the walls, effectively maintaing a passive siege on the walls.

Things like this are why I feel like sometimes mysteries are better left unsolved.