Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 3

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Kathinka said:
Do4600 said:
Seth Carter said:
TwentyPercentCooler said:
After not being impressed with FC1 or 2 (besides how good the first one looked), I too was rather impressed by 3. I did side missions/exploration/hunting because it was fun, not because I absolutely had to.

My one complaint: the "heavies" that take two headshots. GRAAAAHHHHHHH! Nothing will ever take more than one headshot from a high-power rifle round. STOP IT!
Well they are wearing industrial welding masks (Somehow not making them pass out in tropical sun/heat, and in what looks like Ned Kelly esque cast iron armor) and do sound like the Terminator. I was more miffed that they pop up in numerous story missions before you can get the takedown for them, kind of killing a stealth run.
That really wouldn't help, a high powered rifle can penetrate up to 3/4 of an inch of hardened steel plating. I'm assuming the M700 in the game is using at least a .30-06 but it's probably based off the Iraq War M700 and is using a .338 Lapua Magnum sniper cartridge which is three times as energetic as a .30-06. Even a helmet up to an inch and a half thick would only serve to make the bullet bounce around on the inside.
well, we are clearly not going for realism here. realistic damage models in games simply won't work because the combat in games is nothing like in real life..so concessions have to be made, and sacrificing realism for game balance isn't a bad thing.
I understand that, and that's a good enough reason why a sniper bullet won't kill them in one shot, but implying that an industrial welding mask and Ned Kelly-esque iron armor would protect you even slightly from a high powered rifle is just silly.

Another thing that bothers me about "the heavies" is that it's an obvious lift from Borderlands and Modern Warfare, I understand that we want to spice up fps combat but can't anybody think of a way to do that without stagnating in COD land?

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
TwentyPercentCooler said:
My one complaint: the "heavies" that take two headshots. GRAAAAHHHHHHH! Nothing will ever take more than one headshot from a high-power rifle round. STOP IT!
It is possible to kill Heavies with a single head-shot (using the M-700 and the .50 cal rifle at least). You just have to take your time, use the 'Hold Breath' button and aim for the middle of the head (between mouth and eyes) so you don't accidentally hit their chest armor.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Do4600 said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Vaas should have been the main villain. I think the developers completed the storyline and realized it was too short and so tacked on a higher-up guy who was less interesting.
Seems like everybody is making that mistake recently. It really screws up the dramatic tension in the story-line when they introduce another villain half way into the game or movie. Writers really need to study more.
Response is in spoiler tags for people who haven't gotten that far into the game yet.

The inclusion of Hoyt (second 'big bad') strikes me as more of an easily missed Chekhov's gun. Right at the beginning, when Vaas is harassing Grant and Jason, you can see Hoyt walk by and tell Vaas to leave the hostages alone and go 'deal with the rejects'. That right there shows that Vaas is not the top dog. And there are mentions in later story-line missions of people that Vaas is working for/with who are, in retrospect, Hoyt and his crew.
So Hoyt wasn't really pulled out of thin air, he was there the whole time, just higher up the food chain than Vaas.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
CrunkParty said:
Today's episode caused me to pause the video halfway through and close the tab it was in. Not having finished it may make my opinion seem less informed but fair enough. I'd rather seem like an idiot than watch the rest of it.

Yahtzee's unjustifiable bias against modern war shooters and his inane jokes/observations about them is one of the most glaring issues with his new episodes. He was never exactly "fair and balanced" before but it's a tough and jagged pill to swallow now, considering the relish he seems to take in possessing this bias. When he jerks off for 5 minutes about the perceived "flaws" of the genre, missing the point and using the most irrelevant traits possible, it's not informative or even entertaining. But at the very least in those episodes he had a context with which to dribble this bile into the ears of his sycophantic fans, but now he's taking time out of largely irrelevant episodes to continue to remind us of it. He's either desperate to be cancelled or far too proud of his vogue, trendy preferences than he should be.

If this rapidly unentertaining cultural drain doesn't cut the cancerous pus filled mass of his juvenile, misguided nonconformity from his reviews he's going to hit that shark ramp any day now. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt for just a moment and assume he's right, that modern war shooters in fact ARE the bane of good taste and the nadir of gaming as a media. Even then he's not justified in banging on about it to quite the grating degree he's been doing. Listening to the same joke over and over and over may be cool for fans of 'Allo 'Allo but everyone else deserves better.

A few years ago I often thought about how sad I'd be when Zero Punctuation ended. Now I'm feeling a cancellation might just be merciful, both for Croshaw and his viewers.
Well someone works for treyarch/infinity ward/whoever makes CoD/battlefield these days.