Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 3

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
I do believe we get the point now, Yahtzee, you don't like CoD and its' ilk.

I did enjoy what I'm assuming was a "Rejected Cartoons" reference.

what?, how? NOOOOOOOOOO.
I can see why they were never aired, and I wouldn't be surprised if these contract creators wanted their money back if retainers were given.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Really Yahtzee? After specifically complaining about only getting a wingsuit in one mission in Blops 2 and then writing about it again in Extra Punctuation you make NO mention of the fact that this game gives you a fucking wingsuit to use WHENEVER YOU WANT? Really? Weak.

Glad you like the game, though. It's brilliant.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
One thing that annoys me is how the character is already a "badass" (unless he opens his mouth) in terms of gameplay right at the start of the game. After they give you a weapon you can just go in a random killing spree and easily make out of it alive, I would have liked to have the guns sway more and have an increased recoil at the start of the game and having the character being slower and more easily tired, etc... Then with the upgrades he would become more like the character that he is.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I really didn't get there was much of a character arc with the milkshake protagonist, who was quite flat in the first place. Was slightly irritated at some of the violent bits in the tutorial and later on really really grew to hate Vaas, but then suddenly he proclaimed himself king of the sameface NPCs after some godzilla dreamsex and I just couldn't contain my laughter 'cuz the game attempted to play it all with a straight face.

Plus difficulty is nonexistent what with regen health and infinite medpacks and medpack plants growing everywhere. Really didn't feel like survival to me in any way or shape. Crafting more weapon holders made playing rambo more fun tho.

Shame you need to do campaign missions to unlock all of Ezio's cool tricks tho or I'd just ignore them altogether.

Oh yeah and speaking of Spec Ops, man did I feel like shit when Jamaican WUB WUB WUB played for the entirety of a mission where your character can't stop getting a massive erection over burning drugs and pirates alive.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Wow...sold.

I LOVED the first half of Farcry 1. Where the enemies actually flanked you, investigated gunfire and were generally not total dumbasses. I hated the 2nd half of Farcry 1 where they turned it into Doom: Planet of the Apes edition. And the end was completely impossible without god mode.

But yeah this sounds like a yummy Just Cause + Skyrim sandwich when means I'm going to eat it up.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Gawd help me, I kinda want to try the game as a result of this review.

Unfortunately, I loathe FPS games.

Maybe I'll give Redbox 4 bucks for a night rental and check it out... *ponder*

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Well, whadaya know, a positive review. Cool. Might check it out during the winter steamsale, but my cash influx is a bit too low to buy it full-priced ATM.

I was surprised that Yatzhee didn't mention a point of critique I read in my game magazine, which is that while our hero gets a storyarc in which he becomes increasingly badass-yet-unhinged, the actual gameplay lets you mow down baddies from the word go. You may not have offscreen special forces training, but given how well the hero handles a kalashnikov at full auto he might as well. They made it sound like it would have been a good idea to implement the original Deus Ex's skill system.

Now I wonder if my game magazine was just whining or if Yathzee is really turning into a soft banana. Anyone here who played the game care to shed some light on this? Did you feel a disconnect between the protagonist's character and actions?

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
WOOKIE TIDDY said:
It's uncanny. I ordered the game in the mail last Friday and am expecting it any moment now. Been waiting for Yahtzee to review it and VOILA! The day I'm expecting it in the mail is the day he reviews it! Love these reviews Yahtzee. Keep up the good work.
Not unlike my experience, actually. I just bought the game yesterday, and only got to put some time into it this morning before work. Then I check ZP on my lunch break and see this.

Anyway, 1.5 hours into the game, I'm finding it exceedingly good. My only complaint so far is the Mini-map not being optional. However, since I have it on the PC, there are already mods out to turn it off... And Ubi has announced they are working on a patch to make all the UI elements optional, I will soon have no complaints. For now.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
ha ha ha, I never heard of a game where a random tiger can come in and essentially do a mission for you. That sounds awesome but I'm guessing you can't count on it...or can you? Maybe if you were willing to wait for several hours on a rock outcropping eventually a randomly generated tiger will just come in and eat everyone so you don't have to fire a single shot...I wonder if there's an achievement for that.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Duffeknol said:
Really Yahtzee? After complaining about only getting a wingsuit in one mission in Blops 2 and then writing about it again in Extra Punctuation you make NO mention of the fact that this game gives you a fucking wingsuit to use WHENEVER YOU WANT? Really? Weak.

Glad you like the game, though. It's brilliant.
...Wat?

Not only did he mention the glider and that he liked using it, he also said that where other games only gave you the best toys for one boss at the end, this one lets you play around with them all you want. And he makes multiple comparisons to CoD games... What more do you want?
I'm not talking about the glider. I'm specifically talking about the wingsuit. I was waiting for a mention of the wingsuit, because that exact thing has been mentioned by him many times now. When I noticed Far Cry 3 had one I thought it was funny because Yahtzee was complaining about how that exact thing was missing from Blops.

Meh.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
After watching the Video Games Awesome guys play the game, I noticed a glaring flaw in the game that I kinda hoped Yahtzee would address: Every now and then, your cell phone will ring. Your character will immediately drop what he's doing, answer it, and agree to do whatever he's asked to do, which locks you into doing a mission. If, at any point after this, you set one foot outside the designated but unmarked "mission zone", you fail the mission. But it gets worse: Failing a mission has the same effect as dying, where the screen goes black and you reload at the last checkpoint with all your progress lost.

Maybe it's just me, but this seems unforgivable. I've never played any other sandbox game that forces you to follow the storyline at its designated pace without any sidetracking. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of being a sandbox game. I'd like to think Yahtzee would agree. Maybe he just never triggered it, but given his fondness for idly fucking around in sandbox games, that would surprise me.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Madmonk12345 said:
I figured that this would be the "Lord of the Flies" to Spec Ops "Heart of Darkness", and I'm glad it worked out that way.

Definitely going to have to buy this.
Well, given that Far Cry 2 was also Heart of Darkness, it would've been kinda redundant to go back and do it again. :p

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
A tiger with ties to Al Quida, now there's a thought. lol!
It's not just a thought, it's full blown duo on a magic carpet.

Elois

Dec 10, 2012
gardian06 said:
Andy Shandy said:
what?, how? NOOOOOOOOOO.
I can see why they were never aired, and I wouldn't be surprised if these contract creators wanted their money back if retainers were given.
They aren't really rejected cartoons, this is a story written by Don about a fictional Don who crashes and burns as a cartoonist. Supposedly it symbolizes the end of his era or something.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm glad you enjoyed this one Yahtzee as much as I have and everyone else who has played it.

Loved the ending line,hilarious.