Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 3

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved this game. Jason and his friends were very unlikable to me, but at least they were somewhat interesting. The gameplay was just...fun. The pirate camps that had wild animals in cages were my favorite. Sneak up to camp, shoot cage with my silenced sniper rifle, watch a wild leopard start mauling everyone while I deactivated the alarm. Never got old. I do agree that the second half of the game wasn't nearly as interesting, but it was still very fun.

Also, on PC, I felt the driving controls were horrendous. I pretty much gave up on the supply drop missions after doing one of them

"Vaas was less of a boss fight and more of a middle-management disagreement". Best line ever

Jan 22, 2011
jehk said:
I really am the only person who hated this game. I've never played a modern military shooter so maybe this is good by comparison. Skyrim with guns this game is not.
No that would be fallout 3/newvegas with mods

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Mamzelle_Kat said:
I could totally see a game putting "Even Yahtzee liked it!" on the back of the box.

That would actually make me think about buying it.

I think a Facebook commenter had it right when he said:

"If I were a Farcry 3 publisher "I am a banana." -Zero Punctuation would totally go on the back of the box."

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
josemlopes said:
One thing that annoys me is how the character is already a "badass" (unless he opens his mouth) in terms of gameplay right at the start of the game. After they give you a weapon you can just go in a random killing spree and easily make out of it alive, I would have liked to have the guns sway more and have an increased recoil at the start of the game and having the character being slower and more easily tired, etc... Then with the upgrades he would become more like the character that he is.
That's more like YOU are the badass, not the character.

Making the character arbitrarily weak would be good in terms of artistic merit, but it won't garner any love from people just wanting to play the game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Casual Shinji said:
canadamus_prime said:
A tiger with ties to Al Quida, now there's a thought. lol!
It's not just a thought, it's full blown duo on a magic carpet.

...what? What is that from?
Alfred Jodocus Kwak

A Dutch/Japanese cartoon from the late 80's about a duck named Alfred who gets into all kinds of political, racial, and environmental situations. It even has Hitler as a crow.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Game sounds awesome, but till next paycheck I will enjoy it only in my fantasies :(

MegaManOfNumbers said:
josemlopes said:
One thing that annoys me is how the character is already a "badass" (unless he opens his mouth) in terms of gameplay right at the start of the game. After they give you a weapon you can just go in a random killing spree and easily make out of it alive, I would have liked to have the guns sway more and have an increased recoil at the start of the game and having the character being slower and more easily tired, etc... Then with the upgrades he would become more like the character that he is.
That's more like YOU are the badass, not the character.

Making the character arbitrarily weak would be good in terms of artistic merit, but it won't garner any love from people just wanting to play the game.
Actually Fallout3 and New Vegas had similar beginning
But unfortunately after a few levels of right skill point distribution it ends :(

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
'Watch out for Vaas, he'll enslave your ass'. I want to see this on a de/motivational poster. Now.

Yes Mr. Banana Man, you probably have now fulfilled the prophecy you made back when you reviewed Halo 3 and lowered your standards a notch* so that not every new game is so much spunk for your sharpened tongue to cut up. I don't necessarily feel that's a bad thing though, at least when it comes to making entertaining reviews. Watching you eviscerate a game is amusing but if that's all you ever did we'd quickly get bored of it and you'd quickly exhaust your supply of negative descriptors and dick jokes... somehow. While some games don't give you the chance to be constructive, I personally find it more engaging when you highlight the parts of a good game that could use improving or a few interesting parts of a bad game that would be excellent if surgically transplanted onto a much more competent body.

*- For more recent example, see his comparison of Doom 3 BFG and Medal of Honour: Gunshooter Kill Dem ForeignersWarfighter. Spend some time with Spunkgargleweewee and suddenly an average game seems much better. See? It does have its uses!

Keith Fraser

Mar 12, 2012
So it's a sandbox game involving stealthy combat, with a dark and cynical character arc? Somehow I'm not surprised Yahtzee liked it. If jetpacks were involved he'd probably proclaim it Game of the Year. :p

(Also, is it just me or does the plot sound a lot like that of the upcoming new Tomb Raider, except with a guy instead of a girl?)

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Can't view this video because of the stupid advert for WoW...

-edit-
Works now, funny review as always.
Keep up the good work Yahtzee.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I lost my shit at the rosebush. I thought the whole thing was relaxing, the colors are vibrant and I like islands.

Hyakunin Isshu

May 2, 2011
What he said in Black Ops 2, made me *so* depressed, that it made me want to stop helping people, because nothing I can say or do will redeem myself for being "born lucky", or for the sins of someone else of the past. So Mr. Croshaw is telling me, he will hate me forever, because I wasn't born black or whatever, and he will continue to insult me for that.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
It's amazing that Yahtzee did not make a Charlie Sheen reference when it came to the tiger blood part.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
angel85 said:
ha ha ha, I never heard of a game where a random tiger can come in and essentially do a mission for you. That sounds awesome but I'm guessing you can't count on it...or can you? Maybe if you were willing to wait for several hours on a rock outcropping eventually a randomly generated tiger will just come in and eat everyone so you don't have to fire a single shot...I wonder if there's an achievement for that.
The more likely outcome generally is that the tiger decides you are the more tasty of the two options.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I kept thinking about whether or not I should get this game, and this might just have bumped me over the fence :}

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Maybe there is no good ending?

That would make some people mad I guess, but it would be interesting to explore.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Kargathia said:
angel85 said:
ha ha ha, I never heard of a game where a random tiger can come in and essentially do a mission for you. That sounds awesome but I'm guessing you can't count on it...or can you? Maybe if you were willing to wait for several hours on a rock outcropping eventually a randomly generated tiger will just come in and eat everyone so you don't have to fire a single shot...I wonder if there's an achievement for that.
The more likely outcome generally is that the tiger decides you are the more tasty of the two options.
Maybe you can lure a mob of them into the facility and then hang glide to freedom?

I'd play that game.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Sooooooo...
is the game good or is it just good compared to blops 2? Yahtzee wasn't entirely clear on that.

Just kidding... mostly

I am actually pretty intrigued by the title but I can only wistfully sigh as my laptop would probably melt by the mere attempt to run it and I don't have access to any recent gen consoles right now.