Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 4 - F**k Eagles

Morthasa

Jun 22, 2011
So... bottom line "Stick with Far Cry 3 if you have to choose one out of the two"?

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Two things:

1) That is the best title for a ZP review I've ever read.

2) I wonder if Yahtzee tried the finish-the-game-in-under-15-minutes option. 'Cause then you skip all the faffing about with dictators, and best of all - no eagles!

:D

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Morthasa said:
So... bottom line "Stick with Far Cry 3 if you have to choose one out of the two"?
Yeah Far Cry 3 has a much better story and feels less padded. Far Cry 4 has slightly refined gameplay mechanics and graphics, but is far less interesting overall. Also, the voice acting of NPCs in FC3 is pretty great (a lot of interesting Maori and mixed-Australian accents).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
What if I want to play as a generic, scrotum-sewing protagonist?

So does generic guy run around the whole game with the ashes? Does he stow them somewhere? I somehow think the former could get hilarious.

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
That intro...I just...what? What?? "Gaming of the Shrew"? Could someone explain to me what the hell was going on there past the Shakespeare references? I need a lie-down.

And I guess he went with Sabal in the end? O...kay, then. (Mind you, I've never played the game, so my opinion counts for nothing) Maybe it's just because he was the one wearing a Coke can as a hat, given Yahtzee's noted distaste for Pepsi:

Yahtzee said:
I hate Pepsi! It tastes like someone's wringing out their old gym socks into my mouth. So overall, Bionic Commando is a bad game because it drinks Pepsi. Yes, I can be petty!

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
At least it sounds like the game actually ran fine for you, unlike Ubisoft's last game...

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
LenticularHomicide said:
And I guess he went with Sabal in the end? O...kay, then. (Mind you, I've never played the game, so my opinion counts for nothing) Maybe it's just because he was the one wearing a Coke can as a hat, given Yahtzee's noted distaste for Pepsi:
I think it has more to do with Amita being the radical - Pepsi is "the choice of a new generation" compared to Sabal's offering of tradition and lack of change.

But ultimately, it's all just fizzy sugar water.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
It is nice they stuck with what works for game mechanics but unfortunate that they did not run with an interesting story.

Maybe next they will go a story inspired by American Ninja while keeping the similar Farcry 3-4 game framework.

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
Aardvaarkman said:
LenticularHomicide said:
I think it has more to do with Amita being the radical - Pepsi is "the choice of a new generation" compared to Sabal's offering of tradition and lack of change.
I was actually just making an extremely facile but humorous (in my mind) observation. Frankly, I'd have chosen Pagan over either of those two; at least he's colorful.

Captcha: (Image of Nescafé Logo, with the prompt "describe this brand with any word(s)") - At least it's not Pepsi?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
OK, I totally lost it with riding the elephant! That sounds like the highlight of this iteration of the series. Too bad they essentially repeat the villain problems about Vaas with this new guy. What is it about the FarCry games and its villains? Sounds like a subject for the next Extra Punctuation column.

So Act III in this "play" is AC: Rogue? He'll probably like that one, since it has more of what he liked about Black Flag.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You know, if a game had the subtitle of "Fuck Eagles"...don't know if I'd go and buy it, but I'd remember that one.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
I started bouncing in my seat when Yahtzee used a LEGO Digital Designer screenshot.

Did Yahtzee build that copter contraption himself out of necessity or did he grab it from somewhere else?

Yuzzi

Jun 7, 2009
I gotta say, one thing that stood out in Far Cry 4 for me was Cliff Martinez's soundtrack.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Oh, Yahtzee. Don't ever change.

I want Far Cry 4- FC3 was one of the better game experiences I've had recently- but I find myself unwilling to pay $60 for it. Sorry, Ubi. Got to come around on one of the Steam sales eventaully, right?

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
So, I've heard from a lot of reviewers is that Far Cry 4 is more of the same from Far Cry 3 but improved gameplay and a different exotic location. The story arc is a little bit more bland this time around.

Yahtzee basically sums up what I've already heard.

This will be a purchase for me either other way. I'll wait till next year for the price to drop.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
My biggest problem with this one was that it was just too annoyingly cluttered. I couldn't walk 5 feet in a straight line without gunshot noises or bears or eagles or a surprise hostage rescue mission or something, and instead of feeling dynamic it just felt like trying to walk through tall grass in a pokemon game. Sometimes, you just want to get from point A to point B, not kill 20 people, three rhinos and a pelican. And sometimes you don't even want that, I just wanted to stop and smell the roses every now and then, but I couldn't because there's something trying to murder you literally every 5 feet.

pointless vandalism

Mar 27, 2012
sid said:
My biggest problem with this one was that it was just too annoyingly cluttered. I couldn't walk 5 feet in a straight line without gunshot noises or bears or eagles or a surprise hostage rescue mission or something, and instead of feeling dynamic it just felt like trying to walk through tall grass in a pokemon game. Sometimes, you just want to get from point A to point B, not kill 20 people, three rhinos and a pelican. And sometimes you don't even want that, I just wanted to stop and smell the roses every now and then, but I couldn't because there's something trying to murder you literally every 5 feet.
I 100% agree with you. It killed the pacing for me. Whenever I was not in town I was being eaten by a Fing eagle, some karma event happened near you, your post is being attacked! It all felt forced and took away what I was trying to do. Also, the animals in the game are apparently all coked up monsters who only want to kill you. The game was happening, where you happened to be. Got old way to fast.