Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 4 - F**k Eagles

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I was pleased that Ajay was a dull boring cipher. At least I didn't hate his guts like Brody (which was rare - Kratos in God of War 3 was the only other supposedly sympathetic protagonist I can remember actually despising). Far Cry 3's plot was so bad that it's better when they don't even try - obviously YMMV for some of you!

It's a rare bit of self-awareness for Ubisoft to realize that they just can't do a coherent plot, and never have been able to (they can do good dialogue or missions), so let's downplay that. When they don't you get... Unity, or AC III, or Watch_Dogs. Black Flag didn't have a plot, or any I can remember, and that was great. It's a pattern!

Basically, they realized that the best bit of FC3 was the mechanics, as with Just Cause 2, and just did more of that and less of the mediocre stuff. It's the sort of game where you run around and make your own fun and plot.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
It's really just Far Cry 3.5. Also, Yahtzee, mocking the dead is generally considered to be in poor taste unless they were complete assholes.

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
Deathfish15 said:
Yahtzee, what's with the Escapist doing a sell out and since when?
Since about...uhh...2007. There have been Amazon links all along the bottom of the video descriptions since forever. Just because you didn't notice them doesn't mean that they weren't there.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
I haven't seen birds this dedicated to ruining everything since Ninja Gaiden. Also, it took me a second look to realize what exactly was happening in the very last panel of credits (though Yahtzee crying over the smoking stumps of elephant legs is inexplicably hilarious), and I felt bad for laughing as much as I did.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I don't understand what everyone is talking about when it comes to Far Cry 4... What eagles? What strongholds? What are all of you talking about? When I played it at a friend's place I drove in a bus for bit, there were some insurgents, a somewhat unstable but ultimately friendly dictator, dropped off my dead sister off in what appeared to be a family shrine (the said dictator seemed to know my parents), then we went aboard a helicopter and the game ended. All in all, it was barely 20 minutes. I really don't see what all the fuss is about with this game...

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
The hunting for the "rare animal" thing in Far Cry 3 with just a bow and arrow got a lot easier when you found out the drugs for animal repellent. The tigers would just run around you and you could slash at them.

How did the music come out in Far Cry 4? A band I know managed to get on the soundtrack, which was a big thing for them as they also played at Glastonbury a couple of years ago. I saw them play at a local festival on the weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7JTXxyqIeA

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
So the eagles are basically like the cliff racers from Morrowind?
Yes, if you add a 5 second unskippable animation every time they attack you.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
The site played a trailer for Far Cry 4 before this video. I found that hilarious.

Oct 22, 2011
I'll just leave it here

It makes me wonder if i should even bother with FC3 now, or just pass it and go to FC4, since it's pretty much the same + elephants.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
No the tard-eagles. As they come in with their talons extened, the brain-trust a Ubisoft decided we should stare lovingly at the the claws while they go for the eyes.

Honey Badgers, rhinos (WTF are they doing in Tibet, or is Kyrat supposed to be an island where they mess with genetics and chicken eggs?), demon fish, and also Fuking Eagles!

At least in FC3 the monsters made a little sense. When it can take 6X the damage of a person in combat armor, it is a monster. The croc was about as scary as it is in real life, and the great white sharks were freaking sharks. Now they travel at least twice as fast, are at least half the size (aside from the boss monsters - Rhino/Elephant), and do twice the damage. Yep, with logic like that, it is easy to understand why no one gives a crap about Kyrat. I say we take off and nuke it from orbit. It is the only way to be sure.

The self-depredation did nothing to help, and 80% of the NPCs were people you would gladly skin for bait in the real world. I wonder how much longer it will be before Ubisoft cancels the Uplay service, and shuts down half their offices, and tries to blame pirates?

Zannkimaru

Oct 8, 2010
Tbh the main thing that stopped me playing was the fact that the "Wait 15mins ending" is actually the best ending for the game.
I couldn't be bothered playing the game anymore when i realized that both Amita and Sabal were just not worth the effort (didn't take long)