Zero Punctuation: Final Fantasy XIII

zeratul123

May 25, 2009
wow interesting and really funny you could only play 5 hours and my brother has been playing for 35 hours and havent finished it.Thats why i dont like rpgs, but i like that there long not like other games

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
Anyone who's been claiming "well he only played a small part of the game" is ignoring the fact that "a small part" is FIVE HOURS in this case. Percentage-wise it might not necessarily be that much, but time-wise it's pretty big.

This is especially important because it's a game. Let's compare a TV series. Suppose a TV series starts out rather weak, but then gets better (example: Star Trek The Next Generation). If you see the early episodes and don't like them, you can skip straight to the later, better episodes. You do not have that option in a video game. If the video game is boring at the start, you *have* to play through it. I don't have to force myself to watch "Shades of Gray" in order to get to "The Best of Both Worlds". In a video game, I have to play through it in order.

That said, I do wish Yahtzee had at least gone for 10 hours.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
ok, we all knew he'd hate it, but even so, he didn't play it for very long.
i like this game a lot and i'll admit that it took a lot of hours to get into, there is a lot to learn so you get spoon-fed slowly. so yeah, he wouldn't like it anyway, but he didn't play it enough for a proper review (if any of his reviews are anyway).

Catfoot

Jul 29, 2009
Haha i love that he said Vanille acts like shes from space
SPOILER ALERT DONT GO DOWN! IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS DONT SCROLL DOWN!!!!!!
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
Cos Vanille IS kinda from space in a way, spot on :p

zana bonanza

Oct 22, 2009
Is it really three disks long? o0;

I'm a FF fangirl and honestly, I'm not as psyched as I thought I would be. FF10 was the last one I really enjoyed. (And the DS remake of 3.) I still haven't even beaten 12 yet. It just doesn't seem as fun as the older ones.

And the names are becoming a pet peeve. One of two nouns for names is fine, but when half the cast have 'em it just gets annoying. Lightning, Hope, Snow...is there a good plot reason why they are named these things? I know Nomura likes his theme naming, but he could at least be a little more subtle about it.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Vohn_exel said:
There seems to be a couple of large valleys separating Final Fantasy fans. There's the 1-6 crowd, the 7-10 crowd, and the 11-13 crowd. None of these people can seem to really agree on whats a good FF game. I want more of the 7-10 stuff, most people want more of the 1-6 stuff, and several people seem to want alot more of the 12 or 13 type stuff. (Yes, those are factual statistics :p)

I...haven't really been playing 13 lately because admitedly I've been enjoying Torchlight and Ninja Gaiden Sigma alot more. I love Final Fantasy and the battle system in this one is pretty cool. It's really just the same thing as mashing attack(since you don't have to select magic) but it is fun. I loved the pretty environments but I have to say I do miss the towns and the airships and all that. Yes, I know that when you get to chapter 11 you can run around, but still, it's just not the same.

That being said, the Video was hilarious! This one was funnier then several of the ones before it, I especially loved the end cartoon with Vanille. I agree that the character's footsteps are really loud...but for some reason, I like that sound. So for me, that wasn't too bad, lol.
To be fair, the 7-10 crowd also has FF9 fans, and 9 was a direct throwback to the earlier games like 6. It was fantasy, it was pretty, it had campy villains, a world-shattering plot, an ragtag group of, thank God, NON-ANGSTY adventurers with actually decent character design, a simple and quick game mechanic... And most importantly, it had that magic. There was imagination and childlike awe involved in making it, and it shows.

Now, I played through all the other ones, but none of them were as fantastic. Designed-by-committee crap.

Another thing I know 9 did well is start off well, with a dramatic set piece, a theater play in a palace as a distraction for the kidnapping of a princess. Y'know, an intriguing and interesting development? If the designers are incapable of ever doing something like that again, then Yahtzee is within his right to call bullshit when game fails to impress him early on.

f0re1gn

DON'T PANIC
Jan 21, 2009
I wonder if Ben's gonna read all of this.

But I hope he reads my message because I really have to say that you shouldn't include mute moments in your reviews. Those break the flow and the review seems crippled.

noin007

Sep 5, 2008
I've been a Final Fantasy fan since 1. though I REALLY got into the series with VII. I admit, this game is the reason I bought a PS3. Then, a few years later it finally came out and all I can say is I've never been so utterly disappointed in a game.

The characters are bland at best, the story is... I'm not sure if the story itself is any good because 35ish hours into it I'm still not sure what's going on. I refuse to read the in-game book they give you and have decided to rely on what story they actually show you... which is almost none.

The combat is pathetically bad. At one point I was fighting 5 very fast attacking enemies and there was action going on all over the screen, health bars were going crazy, damage numbers were flying all over the place... it was an amazing sight to see... though the same problem the entire game has, I had almost nothing to do with what was going on. Everything other than Lightning was under it's own control, doing it's own thing, and all I had to do on Lightning was hit auto ability.

Honestly, I never thought I'd play a game that would make me wish for Final Fantasy 12's combat. Even that god awful crap was better than 13. The only things I've ever played with a Final Fantasy logo on it that were worse were Final Fantasy 2 and Dirge of Cerberus... *shiver*

Cannorn

Jan 27, 2010
I really want to love this game but the thing I love about RPG's tend to be the exploration adding re-playability (did I miss anything, does the story change if I do things differently ala Star Ocean) and play time.
Oh and also being in freaking control of the game not watching it play itself!
Sounds like this will be a fail :(
Such a shame that games are now going for looks rather than substance...much like the target audience I suppose.

Legend of J

Feb 28, 2010
I agree with yahtzee on this about the corridors my brother got it the day it came out and everytime ive seen him play it is either someone taking an emo fit OR them walking down a 1 way route to reach the goal. However the past few times ive seen him on it he seems to be on a big open field and spends most of his time running from a large turtle creature.

Untitled-Dragon

Dec 23, 2009
I was used to be a Final Fantasy fan but after 13. Well I had a falling out with the series. Seriously that was game that could put me to sleep if I played it longer than 2 hour. Hell, sometimes I fell asleep with the controller in hand. I tolerated their skimpy clad characters (females mostly), who made me want to ramble about how their "armor" would protect them. Never went back since FF13.

Anyway I am impressed that yahtzee was able to play the game for 5 hours.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Not surprising though what is surprising is I rented the ps3 version and didn't even touch it...was having too much fun playing fable 2, I'm taking it back to blockbuster tomorrow without ever touching the game.

Sakon

Sep 18, 2008
When I got this game it was my birthday and I was so excited! I threw it in, watched the opening with fascination that quickly turned to boredom then I get to play. I've never played a game that sucked that fast. I'm a huge final fantasy fan, granted I hated the cast of 8 and 9 but I still bloody well played them. This game... FOUR hours later and I quit. Turned it in and haven't regretted it for an instant.

I swear the game really resented me trying to play it!

skidmarquis

Apr 1, 2010
I was let down by FFXIII as well, however 10 sec or so into this article I'd had it. The author is one the most pretentious and self admiring I've ever read, spending entirely to much time trying to be clever . Maybe I should have stuck it out a little longer and tried to find some redeeming qualities. Then again it's not like I'm getting paid, is it fella ?

kaijyuu

Sep 14, 2009
The only positive thing I can think of about this game is that I like Lightning's character design.

Also yay at referencing Edger's chainsaw. 6 is my favorite of the numbered series too, though I'll admit the battle system is extremely boring when put up to today's standards (however quite good for back then).

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
kaijyuu said:
Also yay at referencing Edger's chainsaw. 6 is my favorite of the numbered series too, though I'll admit the battle system is extremely boring when put up to today's standards (however quite good for back then).
Noooo I love 6's battle system, or at least I didn't mind grinding...