Zero Punctuation: Five Nights at Freddys and This War of Mine

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Jeah, i've the same feeling about FNAF. It's a great LP game, but the ingame mechanics don't seem that .. fun?

It's basically watch 2 diffrent screens and the left door in ~2-3sec every 5sec. Then close left or right door if one of the screen showed X.
Repeat until 6am. You just managed 4/20!

And then apparently it's slightly random, so even if you do everything right, you can lose. At least according to LP'ers that did the 4/20 or tried it.

Meh?

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Yahtzee came of age as an SA Goon. He has good reason to find Animal suit "things" subconsciously tormenting.

Kohen Keesing

Oct 6, 2014
Toblo1 said:
So FNAF is good, but not for you, Yahtzee? Makes sense......
Also, we seem to have the same philosophy when it comes to jump-scares in horror games: wanting the option to either fight back or run like hell from them.
I just want the ability to fight back because running away is incredibly boring and tedious. I'm not the stealthy-ranger type, I'm the tricky-up-close-fighter type.

Alien: Isolation and Amnesia were a couple of the lamest games I've ever played because they almost boiled down to on-rails walking simulators where every TWO minutes I'd have to go hide so my character could have a cry and whine for mummy, and it drew the experience out almost as painfully as being forced to watch someone play FF13. I dunno where Yahtzee got the idea that the Alien disappears for 'lengthy tea breaks in the green room' because from the moment I was forced to kill the first human on Sevestopol station, the Alien wouldn't leave me alone for the remainder of the game for two seconds, except in cutscenes.

In Amnesia, if I was seen it would take ten seconds to just die and respawn - rather than spend five minutes trying to hide, another three minutes waiting for ugly baddie #499019 to walk back to his scripted route, and then having to try sneak past again. The game literally gives me no incentive to avoid dying, or better yet just slam Quickload.

Example of the opposite: the game Darkwood that's currently available on Steam. You can fight back - but the combat system is difficult to get bearings on at first, and dying means losing anything not in your quickbar, and therefore having to journey back to your point of death with less (probably essential) gear. I'm actually encouraged to run rather than fight. However, I have the choice of testing myself against the enemy, if I so choose, which adds some tension to the proceedings if I'm not sure of myself.

It comes down to immersion and agency:
Amnesia doesn't provide agency in how to deal with a situation.
Alien: Isolation is a little better at it with the gadgets and such, but it's basically Amnesia with more particle effects and DOF.
Good old horror like Silent Hill and Parasite Eve II give you control of the situation but make said situation hard to deal with because of the nature of the options you have.

Jump scares jsut don't work on me anymore either: I've played DOOM for two decades, a game where a jumpscare is defined by "Oh, look, you just picked up a Soulsphere, so let's drop the walls around you and suddenly there's ten demons, three hellbarons, and a platoon of shotgunners" - not one moderately quickly shambling albino thalidomide baby.

I still remember my first day of This War of Mine:
Fell out of the chair bawling my fucking eyes out because food had run out by day two, and two of my survivors were both sick AND mortally injured, and the only other guy left was almost suicidal because he'd watched a soldier force a woman to have sex with him through vague threats of violence and he didn't have any home-made cigarettes to take the edge off. Watching a man with his bowels trying to flop out on the floor and unable to keep his eyes in their sockets if he so much as coughed trying to console the person holding the only knife in the house is exactly the kind of depressing you don't see in games now.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I guess you have to be scared of mascots because FNAF is irritating and boring after the first 3 jump scares.

It's bad enough I have to be constantly reminded some asshole youtubers with their faces contorting in screeches for clicks think it's "the scarriest game ever made!.... Also click like and subscribe and go to my website to buy a t-shirt made in a sweatshop by children!"

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
The more Yahtzee goes on and on about people telling him to review Smash Brothers the more convinced I am that he's completely lying about getting the requests, I've looked on his previous videos and his youtube channel and found maybe one person per video asking about it (if that, and that's one in hundreds of comments). Could somebody please point me to this legion of fans who're requesting him to review it?

LordTerminal said:
Oh and we quit with the running gag on Smash Bros. already? It's really starting to get on my tits. To the people who keep requesting that: HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED YOUR LESSON FROM THE BRAWL REVIEW?!
It's hard to tell groups of people not to do what they aren't doing. I'd like to know how Yahtzee knows about the (near non-existent) people talking about Smash Bros. when he's gone out of his way to say he never reads comments.

Matthew Abbott

Jan 13, 2013
My problem with FNAF is that once you figure out how the game works, you'll very quickly develop an optimum play style (which you essentially have to follow in the later nights no matter what) which will completely mitigate the scares and cause you to miss most, if not all, of the creepy stuff. FNAF2 tries to get around this by making you keep more balls in the air, though I don't know how effective it is as I've never played it.

BarrelsOfDouche

Apr 5, 2008
I know this is the opinion being echoed by many, but it's how I feel as well.

Five Nights at Freddies is a brilliant concept bogged down by it's own game play and performance...

The setting and ideas are absolutely brilliant. I think most kids have a similar reaction to Chuck E Cheese animatronics or that freaky-as-s*** boat-and-robotic-bear ride from Disneyland.

Because of this, FNAF is both uniquely atmospheric and creepy...

But beyond the cool idea, everything else kind of sucks. It looks like it could have been made in flash and the minimal actual animation kinda bugs me. I feel like the developers are pumping these games out as fast as possible, perhaps fearing that the fad might fade and fickle gamers will move onto something else.

And then there are the jump scares, which are always just lazy and cheap. A better game would have relied on jump scares a lot less...but because of the game's own limits it's all the game can rely on. Jump scares are startling...a natural biological reaction that pumps adrenaline into our brains when we get scared suddenly. Eternal Darkness only had one in the whole game...and even Amnesia (my fav horror game of all time) didn't have them that often.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I really have to disagree on a certain point about This War of Mine.

It's not trying to tell you that you should be sad but rather the character is sad because of what happened. If you take another character to rob the old people then they might not feel sad at all. Also, it's a status effect much like "wounded" or "sick". If the character becomes too sad then they could leave or even commit suicide.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Right. Sadness is another mechanic that needs to be maintained. It's another difficult choice for you to make on how to manage your resources.

Say you have a wounded character in the house that needs bandages, but to get bandages you maybe need to kill someone. You kill someone, and another character in the house gets sad, so maybe you have to put aside resources to build a guitar, or prioritize bringing home coffee or cigarettes instead of parts, wood, food or something else you need. And so you use wood on that guitar, but it's winter and now you don't have anything to burn. Because of the cold a third character gets sick, so now you have to steal or kill again, or trade your last weapons, or chop up the guitar again for warmth, and so on.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Better a giant pussy than a giant flacid cock. You don't wanna be that guy, the one who practically has the word "Meh" written on his forehead. That's no fun at all. I depend on giant pussies to keep my holidays interesting. What's more fun than an especially excitable friend?

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I'll do you guys one better. 5 Nights at Freddy's was scary... the first time I died. Afterwards, I discovered on my own the secret for surviving the game. Then it became like a data entry job... in so many ways.

I am sorry but the game can't survive on jump scares maintain it's horror. The Conjuring was a scary horror movie because it doesn't have too many jump scares in it. Paranormal activity is not scary because of the use of jump scares.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
LaughingAtlas said:
It's not quite horror without encroaching madness on the part of the player, is it?

live-in-able,
live-in-able,
live-in-a-ble,
live-in-a-bul,
live-in-a-bull-Ooh, wait, that bit from Amnesia: Dark Descent comes to mind...
I was most disappointed when Yahtzee didn't put a bull on the screen during that scene. That just seems like something he would normally have done.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
It seems the preview image for this video is broken. Has been for a while.

The preview image URL brings up a 404.