Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So it's pretty much like I expected from the premise and the 5 minutes of gameplay videos I watched Jim Sterling play.

Cool. Still not interested. Also, It's ubisoft, so yeah, that means I need more then "Sounds like a lark" to justify spending time with UPLAY.

nightowlc

Nov 5, 2008
???

Knights v. Samurai v. Vikings might have made a fun video arcade game in the 80s or 90s. Time Killers comes to mind, no story, just characters in 1v1 fights with various special moves.

But can't see it in any type of story mode, it just winds up being like Soulcalibur or Mortal Kombat having a story mode.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
The Norwegian for "stop kicking your ball over my fence" is "slutt aa sparke ballen din over mitt gjerdet". It's not that hard.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
I'm still having trouble seeing why I should get this when I have Chivalry Medieval Warfare.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Goliath100 said:
The Norwegian for "stop kicking your ball over my fence" is "slutt ? sparke ballen din over mitt gjerdet". It's not that hard.
Which was the joke. It's not hard to learn that. But the 3 factions would rather kill everyone else than bother to learn that

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
I'm sorry, but an important part of this interview is objectively wrong.

Ninjas are not real people, the whole concept was based largely on shinobi (and also in part Kabuki theater stagehands, long story), who were mostly spies and saboteurs. I'm not saying they were not capable of assassinations or that they hadn't carried them out, but they were not some shadowy order of elite warrior assassins, just a bunch of mostly down-on-their-luck folks, who found a way to get by in the shadows of their society. Society, which, I dare add, has in that particular time period closed itself to most of the outside world and its military technology with it and which has at the time suffered from a major shortage of quality iron further contributing to high prices and low availability of usable combat equipment, especially outside of the highly privileged warrior caste.
Pirates on the other hand have in that particular time period had access to reasonably well armed ships (guns, cannons, you name it) and given the fact they were sailors, they've spent long stretches of time in large groups, something shinobi would have a hard time with while on assignments given the fact they had to keep a low profile. If you portray the "ninja" as a specialized assassin, the pirate might as well be a skeleton made undead by swiping cursed Aztec gold.
Not only do pirates win hands down in this particular case, it should also be considered that while ninjutsu is (to our knowledge, limited as it may be, I grudgingly admit) only trained as something martial art-ish without focus on direct real world applications, real world pirates are still out and about and as ever, they have access to dangerous ship-based weapons (though luckily not anything as significant as a frigate in XVIIIth century) such as cannons and torpedoes, you can also expect them to be armed with modern firearms, which means if we're discussing absolute apex examples of pirate vs ninja/shinobi, the pirate is a XXIst century Somalian with an AK47 and a bad temper.

This is srs bsns! :D

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TheScorpion said:
I'm still having trouble seeing why I should get this when I have Chivalry Medieval Warfare.
Well, Chivalry only has knights - this has more than just knights.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I was predicting a Dishonored joke, now I'm disappointed.

Well, we have Smash for video game characters, Marvel vs Capcom and Injustice for comic book characters and now historical assassins. I wonder who's gonna make a fighting game about sitcoms, I can already see it: Seinfeld himself vs. that bloke from Different Strokes.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
This game looks really fucking dull, definitely going to skip this one, surprised Yahtzee didn't complain about the bullshit pay to win microtransactions.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
So I take it this means Yahtzee doesn't care for ScrewAttack's Death Battle then.

I know I'm going off topic here but honestly, did anyone actually have hopes or interest in this game or were excited about it in the first place? I didn't even know it existed until now. Not really much I can say.
I remember it being massively hyped at E3 last year, but that's about it, I always thought it looked pretty lame as the setting and gameplay did not look appealing to me at all.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Caramel Frappe said:
The fact he mentioned Dark Souls as a good game to play regardless of solo / multiplayer made me incredibly happy. I don't think the game will ever lose it's touch, nor die off ... it's a treasure to behold. Oh, sorry, being a fanboy here, I should stop it.

*ahem*

Figured Yahtzee wouldn't like this game. Have all the shiny graphics you want or impressive PvP mechanics, if the game lacks a good story and anything else, he won't be impressed. I've heard it's quite an addicting game if you have friends to play with, but otherwise it's easy to lose interest in. Then there's the horrific lagging i've heard about because Ubisoft decided it would be Peer to Peer connection instead of offering real servers for online play. That's off putting.
Right, i'm surprised Yahtzee didn't complain about the P2P aspect.