Zero Punctuation: Get Even

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
I couldn't help it. As soon as he said the name "Cole Black" my eyes rolled so hard that it was actually kind of painful.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
I almost want to play this game so I can shoot everyone and tell the voices in my head to piss off...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This game sounds incomprehensible. Also when I heard "Cole Black" my response wasn't to roll my eyes, but instead to make an expression that said "Are they serious??"

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
"You might want to hold a fishing net in front of you or something because when you hear this your eyes might just roll out of your head-"

Ok, I'm prepared

"Coal Black"

...I was not prepared.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend of developers tossing a "shame players for ever killing anything" gimmick into games where it's completely inappropriate because they missed the point of Undertale's success.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend of developers tossing a "shame players for ever killing anything" gimmick into games where it's completely inappropriate because they missed the point of Undertale's success.
I thought "make the player feel like bad about playing the game as it was designed to be" began with Spec Ops: The Line. They don't do that in Assassin's Creed games; everytime you kill a main story target, the game says "Good job! That guy was a dick!" or "Good job! She was a total *****!"

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I can tell you didn't like it, but it doesn't sound bad at all. How does it compare to, say, the Deus Ex:Mankind Divided?

HazardousCube

Apr 20, 2017
Is "Get Even" a part of that weird transition of Yahtzee's dislike/like for certain genres like how he dislikes "Demon's Souls" but likes "Dark Souls"?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
A game that gives you something fun to do, then chastises you for doing the fun thing? Uh oh. We've got the Dishonored problem again.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I always get this mixed up with Space Invaders: Get Even which may be the exact opposite of this game.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Bad Player said:
...i didn't get the name until he explained it in the later part of the video
I think I got it but it was ruined by
Edit
Cole Black now reminds me of Snow White.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
What makes the killing as ethical conundrum thing even weirder is the fact the soldiers are apparently just projections of the protagonist's psyche (or at least that's what he's supposed to believe, meaning even if they're real people or something, he remains innocent of the bloodshed). Heck, I'd say disposing of inhibitions that prevent you from returning to full mental health in a cathartic, violent but not dangerous way is probably a healthy response.

Incidentally, I'd love to joke how the game was "odd" in some way ("it wants to get even 'cause it's odd, hurr-durr"), but given the description it actually feels kinda bland despite being something of a genre mix and match.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samael Barghest said:
I couldn't help it. As soon as he said the name "Cole Black" my eyes rolled so hard that it was actually kind of painful.
I even braced myself for it, and I still rolled my eyes so much my neck hurt.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
...seriously? This is what we've come to? A character in a AAA game named "Cole Black"?

Some people like to make the argument that we're heading head-first into another video game crash...if this is the type of unimaginative shit we can expect then I say "Bring on the culling!"

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
AGHH! MY EYES! You monster!

Okay, better now. At least his name wasn't Even/Evan.

Or maybe it would make more sense if the antagonist was named Even/Evan. Regardless, the title conjures an objective of revenge or justice or both, which usually involves some necessary shooting of mooks. Why penalise the natural course of action? It wasn't called 'Get Through Peacefully'.