Zero Punctuation: Gravity Rush 2

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I unfortunately gave up on this game, eventhough I quite liked the first one.

There were just too many small annoyances that snuck into this game...

- Forced stealth when there's no dedicated stealth mechanic.
- Side missions that involved you having to run around aimlessly and pressing the square button around npc's in the hope one would eventually point you into the right direction.
- Combat scenarios that called for precise actions when the controls allow for anything but.
- THAT FUCKING FRISBEE GAME WITH THE GODDAMN DOG!!!!!

And the icing on the cake is that you never know what you're going to get for finishing a side quest until you finish it. I could've busted my hump getting some delivery shit done, and all I'll get awarded with is a prop to use in photos.

It's a real shame, because I like this setting, I like these characters, and I like Kat (Seriously, when the last time we had a girly female protagonist in a AAA game?), but the design philosophy of this game feels like it's straight from the early 2000s.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
The first had its own set of problems, but I overlooked them cause I was having fun. So I have a good feeling I can do the same with this one, especially since it's a game I've been highly anticipating after seeing the original teaser for it years ago. The extra areas, enemies, and powers seem like just enough to satisfy my urge to fling myself into stuff at break neck speed all over again

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
God I remember when my ex made me watch Amelie. What a god awful, disturbing and creepy movie. Its basically the Shining, but everyone is rooting for the insane person.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Have noticed Japanese anime styled games seem to love drawn out tutorialising. Though to be honest I haven't played loads, and some western games do it also.
I am too poor for all these recent titles anyhow, financially and timelly...? One is being invested to create the other so they can eventually be swapped around. Maybe.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Blonde flying girl with magical talking cat, that brings Sabrina Teenage Witch flashbacks, and whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.

Two of my favorite games, VVVVVV and Mario Galaxy have a gravity mechanic, and I've tried to get into the Gravity Rush series for this, but the more I hear about the games, the less I want to play it. Maybe I'll get them at some point, but right now Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn have my attention, interest and money.

Django03

Jul 26, 2008
To anyone still interested in this game the questions about Kat's past do get resolved. There's a whole final chapter to the game that Yahtzee clearly missed.

Noyemi-K

Jan 6, 2016
Django03 said:
To anyone still interested in this game the questions about Kat's past do get resolved. There's a whole final chapter to the game that Yahtzee clearly missed.
Missed, straight up admitted to not finishing, it's all the same

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Yahtzee, you missed the most blatant punchline about the boardgame! I'm very disappointed.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
You know why all these games have selfies? Because Grand Theft Auto V has selfies. I know, I know, Wind Waker HD beat it to the punch, and Tearaway almost certainly had selfies programmed into the game when GTAV came out, despite itself not being released yet, but... it was one of the biggest releases of the decade. The voice game of a generation. And what GTA does, Ubisoft Watch Dogs will copy.

For what it's worth, it was a reasonable addition to Dead Rising, what with the camera already being a large part of that game. Its increased presence everywhere else, though? Studios are just jumping on the popular features train like always. Give Call of Duty a few years to catch up and we can induct selfies into the overused-even-when-they-clearly-don't-fit hall of fame, along with:

• [li]Stat growth "RPG elements"[/li]
    [li]Climbing towers to turn hostile regions friendly[/li]
    [li]Healing by hiding behind walls[/li]
    [li]Arbitrary play limits that require either recharging or microtransactions[/li]
    [li]Sandboxes that compete for pure size while either leaving the area empty or filling it with copy-pasted filler content[/li]
    [li]Going prone[/li]
    [li]And last but not least, everyone's favorite '80s classic: score counters that don't do anything.[/li]

P.S. Thanks

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Django03 said:
I don't know if 'missed' is the right word when he wrote right in the end card he's not putting up with 'true ending' bollocks. While we can debate the merits of whether someone producing content should or shouldn't be obligated to it until we're blue in the face, personally I'm getting real sick of stories that determinedly cross their arms and refuse to conclude until I do the kind of chores I'm usually trying to avoid in real life, re-play the entire game at controller-snapping difficulty, and/or endure some other inane artificial-lengthening.

Django03

Jul 26, 2008
MoltenSilver said:
Django03 said:
I don't know if 'missed' is the right word when he wrote right in the end card he's not putting up with 'true ending' bollocks. While we can debate the merits of whether someone producing content should or shouldn't be obligated to it until we're blue in the face, personally I'm getting real sick of stories that determinedly cross their arms and refuse to conclude until I do the kind of chores I'm usually trying to avoid in real life, re-play the entire game at controller-snapping difficulty, and/or endure some other inane artificial-lengthening.
I was pointing it out because the end card is easy to miss compared to Yahtzee saying aloud that Kat's past wasn't resolved in the story. Which is just plain wrong.

Also it's not a 'true ending' it's literally the last quarter or so of the game. All you have to do is talk to the shining girl NPC a few times when you get control back after the credits and new story missions will open up. There's no replaying the game or collecting 100 golden farts scattered throughout the world or whatever. Just talk to an npc that's labelled in the games map.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Django03 said:
after the credits
Story content should not be after the credits, and any developer who puts it there deserves for reviewers and gamers to completely miss it. Post-credits content should be exclusively bonus stuff.

P.S. Thanks

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I loved being able to fly around in this world again, but the stealth sections were pretty grating.

Shame that Yahtzee seemed to have missed the final post-credits chapters though. I thought that was the part of the story with the most legitimate pay-off.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
It always weirds me out when Yahtzee says he likes a character who's from a Japanese game, such as Kat and the gal from Lollipop Chainsaw. Is it because they're not portrayed as gloomy and "serious"?
Covarr said:
Django03 said:
after the credits
Story content should not be after the credits, and any developer who puts it there deserves for reviewers and gamers to completely miss it. Post-credits content should be exclusively bonus stuff.

P.S. Thanks
Agreed, that sounds just asinine. Credits shouldn't roll until at least the main story missions are over and done with. The last big game I recently completed was Arkham Knight, and that one didn't roll the credits until I did EVERY mission.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Why am I apparently the only one who sees old Escapist ads instead of the videos? Is this some sort of bizarre punishment for a perceived sleight to whoever the heck runs the site these days?

Kevin Tin Nguyen

Feb 2, 2017
Very entertaining review and he made some really good points. HOWEVER...It's become rather obvious that he did not finish the final arc of the story. There's not a total of two arcs. There is actually three. It's weird how they handled the story missions of the game. Because when you finish chapter 20, they give you this ending credits sequence which leaves you thinking that there is no proper closure to the story. However, after those credits, you will see a shining girl appear before Kat. After that you're required to find the shining girl in each four different areas of Hekseville, which is easy, because you just need to look at the icons of the map.

After that, you can continue the story that gives you Kat's origins and the actual closure to the whole story of Gravity Rush. But it seems to me that Escapist didn't know that. I don't blame him. I was confused and I had to browse the internet to figure out what I had to do do get those final few chapters. If you guys played the story missions all the way to chapter 20, you're not done yet. There is a total of 27 chapters.

So Escapist, I'm still puzzled on whether or not you really like this game. But if you're down and you're curious about how the rest of the story plays out, just find the shining girl four more times and the final story missions will be available.

Also closure to the 'lost children' arc will be free DLC on March.

There won't be a Gravity Rush 3. The story is done.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Django03 said:
I just finished the "true ending" and it made me wonder if they had conceived the series as a trilogy, but because the first one didn't do too well and they weren't sure if this one would or not they cancelled the third game and stuck an abridged version of it's narrative onto the end of this one

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Forced stealth sections are the worst. I still rage over one particular stealth section in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 where a boss was hunting you through a garden - if he found you, it was back to the entrance of the level, plus you took damage. Not only was the segment incredibly frustrating, but as soon as you made it through the section, you just fought the boss head-on anyway. There was no reason you were able to fight him then as opposed to before, no statues you destroyed to power him down, no traps you lead him into in order to weaken him, you just straight up fought him. The worst part? He was one of the easier bosses in the game.