Zero Punctuation: Guacamelee 2 and Not Tonight

Dangeresque

Sep 28, 2016
That Disney Star Wars problem he mentioned was actually carried over from the MCU, so if anything, it's the MCU problem

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Is that officially a thing now? Paperwork simulator? If so, maybe EVE Online could count, what with all the spreadsheets.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Is that officially a thing now? Paperwork simulator? If so, maybe EVE Online could count, what with all the spreadsheets.
I sincerly hope not, because that takes even less effort than zombie crafting games or walking simulators. I'd hate to see GoG and Steam flooded with a hundred thousand interactions of Word the Game

WouldYouKindly13

Sep 21, 2011
Wow. The restraint that he must've had when reviewing Not Tonight. I was actually looking forward to how he'd handle a Brexit-themed game. That "extreme isolationist party" was just crying for a jab at the Tories. All he says was "it'll be dated in a few years". I'm not saying he should've picked a side. I was expecting snipes at both sides to balance out, but the silence here was deafening.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in agenda pushing. I guess that Yahtzee is of the centre-left persuasion, as he has that kind of anarchistic, Carlin-style unfiltered humour that doesn't care about 'being patriotic', family values, or PC culture. So on one hand he'll call out the racism in CoD, but on the other he'll make a racist joke, clearly meant to be funny, not harmful.

A few years ago you'd call it left wing. But after the political mess on both sides of the Atlantic, the current left will label him as rightist, and the right will claim him as their own, and he'll have no choice but to join or remain stateless. The hilarious thing is that his old CoD videos condemning racism would probably get him labelled as an SJW liberal snowflake today.

Given the situation, and that geek/gaming online culture is probably at the forefront of the culture war, it wouldn't surprise me if he pulled his punches on what's turning into another front. I don't know if he follows UK news since he moved to America, but working in gaming, it would be counter-intuitive to annoy Brexit-leaning viewers, or else end up with copies of his books being burned and #boycottescapist trending on Twitter. Maybe some inappropriate decade old tweets would resurface as well.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
"Not tonight, Guacamelee 2. ...and Not Tonight."

"Guacamelee 2? More like sack o' dreary poo!"

"Not tonight, tomorrow, next week, yesterday or forever."

"...?"

I caption good.

WouldYouKindly13

Sep 21, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
WouldYouKindly13 said:
A highly defensive brexit voter, I take it?
You can probably guess that I'm not. But I was surprised that there were no jokes on the subject matter, and wondered whether it was to appease one side or the other.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Personally, I thing radioactive cockroach people would do a much better job of running the UK than the current government. The sad thing is that this line probably won't get old.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
WouldYouKindly13 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
WouldYouKindly13 said:
You can probably guess that I'm not. But I was surprised that there were no jokes on the subject matter, and wondered whether it was to appease one side or the other.
Perhaps it's that the current state of the whole political spectrum in the UK is somewhat of a total mess that's almost impossible to follow. Particularly for someone who's now completely disconnected from the country.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Allan Foe said:
WouldYouKindly13 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
WouldYouKindly13 said:
Perhaps it's that the current state of the whole political spectrum in the UK is somewhat of a total mess that's almost impossible to follow. Particularly for someone who's now completely disconnected from the country.
Given that many of the "Leave" votes turned out to be via hacking, Yahtzee need not concern himself with those xenophobic morons:https://www.dw.com/en/uk-lawmakers-broach-possible-brexit-vote-hacking/a-38394067
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/998743/Brexit-news-Russia-EU-referendum-hacking-Robert-Mueller-inquiry-Damien-Collins

Personally I don't think COD is racist at all and I thought the Division kicked ass.

WouldYouKindly13

Sep 21, 2011
darkrage6 said:
Given that many of the "Leave" votes turned out to be via hacking, Yahtzee need not concern himself with those xenophobic morons:https://www.dw.com/en/uk-lawmakers-broach-possible-brexit-vote-hacking/a-38394067
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/998743/Brexit-news-Russia-EU-referendum-hacking-Robert-Mueller-inquiry-Damien-Collins

Personally I don't think COD is racist at all and I thought the Division kicked ass.
Just to clarify, I'm no brexiteer. I think Yahtzee wanted to go in on Brexit, but was worried that taking a side would make him look like a sellout to the people who see him as maverick or chaotic neutral, who don't like Brexit or Trump but support them because they're a big F U to the "establishment" and "liberal culture", and many of whom tend to be into nerd/gaming culture.

I think it was his Far Cry 5 review where he goes in on Trump but balances it with a Hillary joke. I remember after the election how guys like H3H3 and Casey Neistat behaved. H3 revealed that he voted Hillary in the middle of a video lambasting Laci Green's poor reaction to Trump's victory. Meanwhile, Casey didn't beat around the bush. He said Americans were "duty bound" to vote Hillary to keep out Trump.

I don't think either liked Hillary. Maybe Casey did, but it was more about seeing Trump as the greater evil. So why the contrast? I think H3's conciliatory tone was because his audience was mostly made up of gamers, nerds and meme-lovers. He's invited Jordan Peterson on, and while I don't see Jordan as right wing, but one of those who has been "claimed" by the right, it tells us more about his audience.

Casey would probably never invite him on. He doesn't have the same audience, so he's not required to play non-partisan or keep a "maverick" image. It's like when you make a Trump joke, and supporters jump in the comments to say "but Hillary". So now you have to add a "but Hillary" to your Trump joke to not be seen as a "liberal shill". And the we end up with this false equivalence where Trump will say or do something ridiculous, and we all have to pretend that "Hillary and the Dems" are just as bad.

Anyway, that's enough politics from me. Before I go, I'd recommend not using the Express as a source. You've heard of the Daily Mail, right? It's snarky, cruel and plain old mean. The Express looks like a tryhard in comparison. Like Fox News when it was trying to catch up to Breitbart. They even have this "crusade against the EU", where every Brexit story is spun positively, because lord knows they need it. While the Mail does snark naturally, the Express stinks of desperation as they try to bite into that right wing nationalistic market.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dangeresque said:
That Disney Star Wars problem he mentioned was actually carried over from the MCU, so if anything, it's the MCU problem
Well it sure is Disney's problem too now.
I'm gonna chalk that reference to Yahtzee's open admiration of RLM and the latest Plinkett review.

Drathnoxis said:
Yahtzee is pure. He knows who's the strongest.

alexbuckenham

Bilious tosspot
Mar 10, 2011
I'm truly shocked that a game made just to satisfy someone's itch to whine about politics not going perfectly their way doesn't light the world on fire.

That said, left wingers used to make goot satire once upon a time, now they just say 'ooh look, aren't these Brexit supporters cartoonishly evil (if we make a weak straw man of them'?