Zero Punctuation: Half-Life 2 Update - Gravity Gun > Modern FPS

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
loa said:
Half life 2 is like half life 1 with all the interesting enemy and weapon variety thrown out the window to be replaced with boring physics puzzles.
Sorry, I prefer hornetguns, little alien puppies, deadly vacuum cleaner laser beams and a fisted barnacle over the amazing choice of assault rifle 1 or assault rifle 2.
Which is funny because there aren't two assault rifles in the game. Not saying hl1 didn't have interesting weapons, it sure did, but its not like hl2 is completely generic either with its pheromones, gravity gun (both regular one and the god-mode version), and the glowing bolt-crossbow-sniper which can be used for trick shots around corners. Even the one assault gun has a secondary which shoots a glowing bouncy ball of white death.

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
I fear, that if H3 really comes out and Gordon starts to talk, a vortex will open up and swallow the earth.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Meh, if you ask me, Half Life 2 isn't that good. Lots of stuff was left on the cutting room floor and what we got was made from scratch within a year.

Gordon being praised as a the almighty savior always kept bugging me, while in the first game (which I still love to play) he was just a scientist trying to leave the hellhole that's called Black Mesa.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
FPLOON said:
...And now I need to binge-watch all of Freeman's Mind yet again...

Also, we need more "Gravity Gun"-based guns in more FPSs... especially when the game won't shut up about its "realistic physics" alma mater philosophy...
Time to re-read Concerned: the Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman. Man, I love that comic...

Still, it's been a while since I played Half-Life 2, and I wasn't with the first wave who played it back when it was new. I only played it a few years later, and found it adequate but not much else. The guns work but aren't too interesting, the puzzles work but aren't very challenging, and the story works but isn't particulary gripping. On the other hand, I would like to see more games with a Gravity Gun, more games with the same scenery as Half-Life 2, and more games with seamless levels that transition into each other, rather than booting you back to a menu every 15 minutes.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Bleh. Half Life 2 was just kinda meh to me. Nothing really wrong with it (Except the vehicles didn't handle that well IMHO) just nothing that blew my mind. I take the Zukov very unpopular opinion that Alex Vance is not a revolutionary female character but rather a baseline in being just ok.

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
With the entire world apparently declaring that Pillars of Eternity is a sure bet for 2015 GOTY and the best game since the Great Golden Age, I'm glad to see somebody else had a hard time getting into it...I like a lot about it, and don't even mind the tons of reading to do (I LIKE reading), but the difficulty curve is about as graceful and intuitive as a rhino on a trampoline. I spent the first few hours of the game sleepwalking through encounters and then got steamrollered by a boss - in an area I'd gone through without camping or taking a break even once. I had to hike back to town, do a few levels of another dungeon and go to the inn to hire some random dude to fill the ranks before I could painfully win that encounter after several tries (fortunately the boss in question did not wonder why his basement was a pool of blood and guts, or why a crucial prisoner he wanted to execute was missing, or what happened to the two guards at the gate. He just sat on his throne going all emo about the people he'd massacred in the next room THREE DAYS PRIOR, by the time I got there. Slightly immersion breaking...)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I just wish the mod (minus the commentaries) had shipped as an actual official update to the game, since no one could really argue it's not objectively an improvement yet it's not revolutionary enough to mess with the system requirements. Is there any reason at all Valve decided not to do that? They can't even be assed to fix the bugs their last major update introduced into the game, including the whole thing going fullbright at one point if you were playing with HDR off.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
09philj said:
Silentpony said:
I only got around to playing the Half Life games a few years ago and man are they over-rated. Maybe it was a timing thing? Like, compared to Doom and Pokemon Blue/Red it must have seemed unique, maybe even fun.
But today? Half Life & 2 just look like any other terrible Steam Greenlight games.

Imagine if Half Life had never come out, and that an indie dev of today put it up on Early Access on Steam.
I can't imagine it wouldn't get an absolute shellacking for its un-intuitive gameplay, boring set-pieces and terribly written unskippable cut-scenes.
I used to think that way... but I've come to really like it. And the gameplay isn't unintuitive. It just doesn't funnel you along an entirely linear path like most hand-holding modern shooters. Also, Half-Life redefined shooters. Before Half Life, shooters were like DOOM and Quake. After, they weren't. Ergo, without Half-Life, the history of the shooter would be entirely different.
AH, but in between the eras of Quake and Half-Life, there was GoldenEye on N64. Probably the first FPS with real OBJECTIVES to complete in missions. Although it was missing some things, like anyway to replenish health during a level, being able to carry weapons and ammo over to the next level IN THE SAME MISSION, and a GODDAMN JUMP BUTTON! Thank God Medal of Honor remembered those parts.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I was happy to have an excuse to play Half Life 2 again. For this playthrough, I decided to count how many Combine troops (as in Overwatch, Nova Prospekt, Soldiers, and Super Soldiers) I killed. Now, I might have missed a few during the antlion raid on Nova Prospekt, but my tally by the end of the game was 964.

I liked the idea of the commentary, but I would have really enjoyed hearing Gaben's regrets.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
Ah... Half-Life 2, one of my favorite games ever. I played it first in 2012 or something, and I'd argue it still holds up very well. It has great pacing, always mixing hard action with more quiet moments for building up tension and giving you time to breathe in between, which again makes the set-pieces stand out even more. The arsenal progression was well though out as well, having you start out with only a crowbar to fight with, then getting better and better weapons until you could fight an army singlehandedly. My favorite part though, is how subtle it is with the story. They never tell you more than you need to be told, they always reveal just enough for you to care, while at the same time not spelling out how the world works, and their motivations, etc, like they often do in RPG conversations. I also like how it is a story that seems very simple on the surface. At face value, it's about starting an uprising among an oppressed people and becoming a savior. Or that's at least what someone wants you to believe. If you dig a little deeper, you'll come to understand that there is something much larger and intricate going on that you're being kept in the shadows of. I just love that. The downside is that it leads to the game asking more questions than it answers, questions that were supposed to be answered in later installments. Sadly, we haven't been so lucky, even with the two episodes that later came.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Honestly though, all the Gravity Gun is, in essence, is telekinesis. Something I've been banging on about for games to explore more since Psi-Ops. The Gravity Gun is a very solid weapon/gameplay mechanic indeed, but it wasn't revolutionary or anything like that.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I never understood the hype. I mean, Half-Life 2 was amazing when it first came out in 2004. There was nothing else like it. It broke new grounds yadda, yadda, yadda. But the people still cling on to it like it's some kind of special gem. It's not anymore. We have better shooters than Half-Life. And now when Yahtzee had something bad to say about it maybe people will come to their senses.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, I've become tired of the 'cinematics' in it. Wish I could skip them now. Never thought much of Alyx either. Still has amazing design and enjoyable game play though, well except the Follow Freeman chapter for me, since your allies like to block your cover. Never had a problem with the ladders in HL2 unlike the first. It's still the 2nd best FPS I've played, after the first of course.

Your tough but fair Yahtzee. Though I was disappointed with the ending because it didn't have an interesting boss.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
I don't know. Personally, I feel like Half Life 2 totally holds up. The trapped-room cutscenes can be a bit restrictive, but they usually come after long spells of gameplay, so in my own case, I never actually feel trapped by them. They feel more like a reward or a moment's respite from all the action.

The pacing is absolutely fantastic as well. Good mixture of troughs and peaks as well as a constant sense of agency. I can easily get immersed in that game because it never feels like I'm not Gordon Freeman. I also like how you can visit almost all of the areas you see in the distance a la Dark Souls when traversing either with the car or the hydroplane.
True this. All these years later, I still find HL2 to be the best paced game I think I've ever played.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Excludos said:
Which is funny because there aren't two assault rifles in the game. Not saying hl1 didn't have interesting weapons, it sure did, but its not like hl2 is completely generic either with its pheromones, gravity gun (both regular one and the god-mode version), and the glowing bolt-crossbow-sniper which can be used for trick shots around corners. Even the one assault gun has a secondary which shoots a glowing bouncy ball of white death.
Well there are 2 fast firing semi-precise gunthingers that shoot exploding things as an altfire.
Label one "machine gun" and the other "pulse rifle" or whatever, it still makes them basically the exact same type of gun and it's not like that combine thing has too much "alien" about its design and sound.
That ball doesn't do much to change that. It is also horribly ineffective compared to straight up grenades so the combine thing might as well have no "grenade launcher" at all.
I want a gun made of schnitzels that shoots bees, damnit.

That crossbow is hardly the height of exotic weaponry and the gravygun... was picking up and throwing things.
That's your "E" on steroids. Meh. It's alright I guess if you really really like picking up things a lot (and you better do in this game).

It only had the pheromones as an interesting, alien "weapon" but those were more of a gimmick than an actual permanent option like the rocketlauncher or shotty.

Also whatever happened to those big flamethrower dudes, the tentacles, fishes, brutes and basically any interesting alien type ever after half life 1? Cause they sure as hell ain't in half life 2. Outside of cutscenes, that is.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
I never understood the hype. I mean, Half-Life 2 was amazing when it first came out in 2004. There was nothing else like it. It broke new grounds yadda, yadda, yadda. But the people still cling on to it like it's some kind of special gem. It's not anymore. We have better shooters than Half-Life. And now when Yahtzee had something bad to say about it maybe people will come to their senses.
I hardly ever have the feeling that when someone praises HL2 that he means it in direct comparsion to games today, but rather: Back in the days this thing was friggin amazing - which it was.

On the other hand i also disagree, because i've not seen shooters making ANY progression except fancy graphics since the HL2 era. Not even Spec Ops: The Line! Yeah, it was a nice plottwist but from a mechanical standpoint it's the same stuff like 10 years ago.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Enzbe said:
I'm am sorry if this sounds a bit unfriendly and yes, I know that posting something like this might be kinda risky as the mods here can seem very ban-happy. However, I just can't put this any other way:

Revisit Demon's Souls already! Ya lazy cant!
D:< !

You bet your backside that will get you mod wrath!
I'll show you how to properly write that.
Enzbe said:
I'm am sorry if this sounds a bit unfriendly and yes, I know that posting something like this might be kinda risky as the mods here can seem very ban-happy. However, I just can't put this any other way:

Revisit Demon's Souls already! Ya lazy can't!
There. Don't make such a mistake ever again! :mad:

OT: Anyway, nice little tour down memory lane. :)

I don't get why some people hate the "cutsscenes" in Half Life. Sure, it would be nice if you could skip them on your 2nd-5th playthrough, but it's not like there aren't things to do while they are going on.
Heck, one in the prison level even lets you take time to set up traps for the incoming enemies.

Also, I agree that the physics aren't as cool as they use to be, but the game still uses them pretty well. Makes sure they get all they can out of them and what not.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
You missed MONSTER HUNTER you daft PC cow! Stop complaining about releases until you at least attend to all of the obvious games.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Haru17 said:
You missed MONSTER HUNTER you daft PC cow! Stop complaining about releases until you at least attend to all of the obvious games.
He would fucking hate Monster Hunter so much though. He doesn't seem to particularly like MMOs and the last Monster Hunter he played was Tri on the Wii.

And I know Monster Hunter isn't an MMO but it may as well be.