Zero Punctuation: Half-Life 2 Update - Gravity Gun > Modern FPS

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Silentpony said:
Nazulu said:
Silentpony said:
SNIP
See I just completely disagree on just about every point. Having played Mass Effect and Bioshock both before Half Life 1 even, I can tell you there is no comparison. I could name 1 character from Half Life(up to 3 in Half Life 2!), and Mr. Freeman doesn't even have a personality. I'm using that literally, as in he doesn't count as a character because he's not really a person. Say what you want about the characters in ME or Bio, I can least point to them and say "Yeah, there's an established character here."
It may not be a well written character, I'll give you that. Andrew Ryan and Ashley Williams are kinda' comically stupid. But I'd take that over the boring non-existence of Gordon Freeman any day, where we just have to trust his coworkers that he's even there, let alone an established character with a personality.

And in terms of gameplay, maybe its because I wasn't a teen when I played Half Life, but I breezed through everything. It was like playing Doom all over again, as in no challenge what so ever. The hardest thing was the terrible jumping mechanics, but I died maybe once per jumping puzzle block thing. The puzzles were obvious, boring and completely killed the pacing and really any immersion I could have had. Like I'll go with the mute scientist, floppy aliens, stiff body mechanics and terrible voice acting. That's fine. But a top secret underground Hive laboratory having essentially incomplete jungle-jims in their air shafts or sewers? All the time, without fail?!
Or having built a floor out of neat little Lego pieces so when it falls into the room below you have 5 equal size and weight pieces that just so happen to perfectly fit into a balancing puzzle?!
I mean the puzzles are as forced as the jokes were in Duke Nukem Forever. I get that its part of the game, but it seems like gameplay padding rather than something that adds to the story or the immersion. It's just kinda silly.

And it terms of gunplay? I mean Bioshock may have seemed clunky(Not convinced, but I'm going with it.), but at least the fights were unique if not exciting. There were so many ways to kill Splicers in that game. SOOO many. At any given moment you could be shooting bees with your hand, lobbing fire grenades, using a steam-punk tommy gun or freezing Spliers with a flame-thrower that shoots nitroglycerin. And Mass Effect had more than a few tactics, especially with the different abilities of the squadmates.

Half Life only graduated with a Masters from the Doom school of gunplay, so its a little above Quake, but not by much. Its just a 90s FPS, with all the "Use the Shotgun" strategy that entails.

Look I'm sure Half Life was good back in the day. Just as I'm sure Star Trek TOS had impressive graphics for the time. Or how Joana Dark and Lara Croft used to be the peak of video game sexuality. But looking back, can please just say these things were good because we didn't have better?
And now that we do, those things of yesteryear can really go away.
Well you are agreeing with me. You are pointing out what you see as Mass Effects strengths by bringing up the characters. You've made it very clear that's your preference. However, my mind works differently as I adjust my preferences to what the artist was trying to accomplish. Well, try to.

I find it weird you say it isn't a challenge like Bioshock and Mass Effect are when they both give you so much more time to prepare and can be very predictable. In fact they are predictable. You can always hear the big daddies, see the oil on the floor for the basic mobs, hear the cameras a mile away, look into the rooms knowing which will lock on you, and seeing the strategic cover before the enemies come. Half Life was designed in a way that I couldn't predict what was next, and that's what made it far more scary.

Didn't have a problem with the platforming, and I don't believe Half Life was puzzle based, more just to keep an eye out and predict whats next, or react quickly, and since Bioshock and Mass Effect don't really change up that much it's odd to compare the pacing. And Half Life's unrealistic designs are what made it fun to traverse through because it is a platformer, and comparing to something realistic when not one of them comes close to realism is odd to me (pffft, realism). I rather have more movement than waiting behind cover and lining up sights constantly, or constantly using health packs because you can't shift quickly.

Bioshocks gunplay mechanics feel awful to me. I cannot replay it because of it. It feels like it was made to be RPG based. Half the time I'm firing at the mobs when they stutter they don't even react to the next shot, and sometimes don't even take as much damage. I did get some joy gaining turrets for allies, and freezing and flaming them, when it was effective, because sometimes the enemies hardly reacted to that too, especially cause I had to fucking upgrade. I shot bee's at the splicers, yet they still just kept running while slowly loosing health, not very exciting. And playing catch with the big daddies grew old very quickly. I also remember freezing the enemy's and I couldn't do something to them I wish I could do. I actually beat the game easily by just upgrading the wrench funnily enough. Mass Effect I can't remember very well, guess that's not a good thing.

Half Life's gunplay allowed for a lot. I actually got a lot of joy charging into rooms firing explosive shells. I loved sneaking around corners tranquilizing the enemies open spots. I liked taking advantage of the alien technology's homing rounds. I often baited enemy's into the mines. Distracted the creeps with the bug things. Playing desperado with the enemy vehicles with the science gun. It's not perfect, but it has enough, and it's mainly about the interesting string of events I find.

Half Life is easily the best FPS I've played. Like I said, it's events feel bigger and it switches up all the time with gunning and platforming segments. There is no other game that does this like it, not even Half Life 2, so it's never go going to go. I believe Yesteryear nearly has all the best games too, so you and I will always be on different pages. Thanks for sharing though.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Nazulu said:
Isn't it funny that we're on 100% different sides of this spectrum, yet both of our beliefs could be summed up in the same sentence;

Oh man, remember what games were like back then?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Silentpony said:
Nazulu said:
Isn't it funny that we're on 100% different sides of this spectrum, yet both of our beliefs could be summed up in the same sentence;

Oh man, remember what games were like back then?
Hehehe. You are spot on there.

I don't believe the Bioshocks and Mass Effects are bad though, just not masterpiece material. I'm saying this incase I made them out to be terrible.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Comparing Mass Effect to HL2 is comparing apples to oranges, they are not even the same genre or perspective. Mass effect is a third person perspective RPG cover based shooter and HL2 is an FPS. The only thing they have in common is they both have guns.

As for Bioshock, there are so many good elements that were from HL2 used in games after it was released including the Bioshock series. Bioshock has allot of the same formula that made HL2 so popular and improved upon them. Bioshock weapons suck compared to HL2, that's one thing they didn't improve upon from any game lol.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Never got the appeal of the gravity gun in HL2. It lacked the visceral catharsis most people have from it. My favourite weapon was a rebar crossbow and nailing enemies to the wall.

I hated that it only had like 10 rounds wound up using a trainer for infinite money just so I could so around using it as my main weapon.

As for replaying the game. I tried a few years after it came out and endured through the skiboat level, but Ravenholm did me in. I find it a completely unenjoyable level with it's zombie-esque headcrab theme. Got to about Gregory and then had flashbacks of the dunebuggy and the antlions and uninstalled it.

Should play it again and finally play the episodes after it if I can just get over those three parts...

Bindal

May 14, 2012
beastro said:
Never got the appeal of the gravity gun in HL2. It lacked the visceral catharsis most people have from it. My favourite weapon was a rebar crossbow and nailing enemies to the wall.

I hated that it only had like 10 rounds wound up using a trainer for infinite money just so I could so around using it as my main weapon.

As for replaying the game. I tried a few years after it came out and endured through the skiboat level, but Ravenholm did me in. I find it a completely unenjoyable level with it's zombie-esque headcrab theme. Got to about Gregory and then had flashbacks of the dunebuggy and the antlions and uninstalled it.

Should play it again and finally play the episodes after it if I can just get over those three parts...
Ravenholm was one of the more enjoyable parts for me (main reason: SHOTGUN!). And the airboat wasn't too bad either was it wasn't TOO long. The buggy - yeah, they could have cut about half of it and the game wouldn't miss anything. They learned their lesson in Ep2 with the Jalope, which is way more fun to drive and you're usually traversing shorter distances, interrupted by proper combat every now and then. And it still was a bit shorter.

cmdrmonkey

Apr 19, 2010
The Half-Life games were revolutionary and massively influential. They laid the groundwork for all modern shooters. I think most of you guys are just too young and played them too late to really understand.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
thanatos388 said:
Haru17 said:
You missed MONSTER HUNTER you daft PC cow! Stop complaining about releases until you at least attend to all of the obvious games.
...doesn't seem to particularly like MMOs...
Stop talking. Go play Monster Hunter. THEN come back here and call it a MMO. It's an single player / online 4 player coop action RPG. There is no persistent world, there are no stats, and there is combat that would make an MMO cry out in joy. Hit detection like you wouldn't believe.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Failing to save scientists?

Wait, you were supposed to save the scientists? They weren't just Lemmings in white lab coats?

Huh.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
I don't know. Personally, I feel like Half Life 2 totally holds up. The trapped-room cutscenes can be a bit restrictive, but they usually come after long spells of gameplay, so in my own case, I never actually feel trapped by them. They feel more like a reward or a moment's respite from all the action.

The pacing is absolutely fantastic as well. Good mixture of troughs and peaks as well as a constant sense of agency. I can easily get immersed in that game because it never feels like I'm not Gordon Freeman. I also like how you can visit almost all of the areas you see in the distance a la Dark Souls when traversing either with the car or the hydroplane.
I think the game holds up too. It's basically a master class of game design. Each level introduces a new mechanic that is built upon previous mechanics so the game escalates and gets better and opens up a new weapon in your arsenal each time.

I played it through last summer and despite being 11 years old now it holds up as a modern game and modern standards. Iti s absolutely great.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
It's so weird to watch a ZP video criticizing a really popular game, and not seeing any raging comments about it in the forum.

Evaheist666

Jun 4, 2011
Half life 2 doesn't make my top 10 games list either but it was an entertaining ride while it lasted. Granted, half the time I was just drooling at the graphics but the whole package was pretty good.