Zero Punctuation: Half-Life

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
We all know what Gordon Freeman is really like thanks to Ross Scott (look up Freeman Mind on Youtube).
I shouldn't be suprised that Yatzee like the game despite the flaws he had pointed out.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Great... now theres going to be fawning over half-life for the next two weeks...

Though, now that Ive watched Freeman's Mind, thats what I will constaqntly think of Gordon Freeman as... and I do feel the slight urge to try them again...

Tiddles

Jan 30, 2012
fenixkane said:
Yahtzee. Next time you do one of these you should do Killer 7.
Did he kind of do Killer 7 for the No More Heroes review?

I'd like a review of Earthbound but I'm not holding my breath for it.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
To answer your question, Yatzee, I think Freeman is regarded as an icon in the Half-Life universe just for surviving all the shit went down in the original game. We're playing an incredibly resourceful and intelligent person who managed to see the end of a disaster before suddenly disappearing off the face of the planet.

I'd, frankly, hail anyone who pulled something like that off as the next Jesus.
Techincally, so did Breen, and he's regarded as the almighty Judas.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
jmarquiso said:
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
To answer your question, Yatzee, I think Freeman is regarded as an icon in the Half-Life universe just for surviving all the shit went down in the original game. We're playing an incredibly resourceful and intelligent person who managed to see the end of a disaster before suddenly disappearing off the face of the planet.

I think we're onto something here.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I got Half Life in the Steam summer sale. Haven't got very far so far. I've found myself dying. A lot. I obviously suck at the whole retro PC FPS thing.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Maybe Valve will take notice and at long last release its next installment of Half-life. You know the one, the one we've all be crying and craving and begging for since 2008. That's right; Half-life: Citrus Bazooka. Come on, Valve! Hurry the eff up!

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Two years ago I decided to replay Half-Life once more to see if it stood the test of time. It totally did. Visually it's ugly, with it coming out right at the time of the awkward transition between 2D and 3D (the high-res models helped a bit here), but it's still an incredible game. It starts slow, but once the accident happens and you have to escape the game gets you and never lets you go.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Its nice to see that Yatzee didn't bash the shit outta the game to annoy all that the valve fans here.

I still hate Half-Life 2 and this sounds to be very similar if a little better. But after hearing his comment about Half-Life 1 coming out when he was 15, I had to check the release date. This game was definitely ahead of its time, but I feel that the source Engine was the real accomplishment, not the game.

Matthew Swircenski

Mar 13, 2012
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
jmarquiso said:
1nfinite_Cros5 said:

I think we're onto something here.
That's because Breen sold out.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
jmarquiso said:
1nfinite_Cros5 said:

What would that make Barney, Kleiner, and Vance? I find Vance the most amazing, as everything that went on in the first game was like a horror movie, and he was the only black guy. I think that's quite an accomplishment to survive that as a black man. Though I can understand Gordan getting the Jesus status as he did survive it, take out most military and alien forces and destroyed the controlled leader of the aliens. And he only became big in Half-Life 2 after he had taken out a few hundred soldiers, he was just well known among his friends because he was a genius and he kicked some ass. And the beard, that is his claim to fame.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
I've tried to play this game many times but always lose interest the second the soldiers show up.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Great, now I have an excuse to get passed that bit outside in the sand >.>

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
If your scrounging for games to review right now, maybe you should do a couple downloadable titles. There's an interesting one I'm playing for the PS3 called Closure. I guess it'd fit in the big headed black and white artsy type game but it's a puzzle based game revolving around controlling light; what is lit exists and anything in shadow does not.

If it sounds like something that may interest you, I'd suggest trying the short version they released on newgrounds a few years back. The story of that one was actually pretty powerful.