Zero Punctuation: Halo 3

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Halo 3

This week, by popular demand, Yahtzee throws down on the most important media property of the year, Halo 3.

Watch Video

Evilducks

Sep 20, 2007
Fan-tubby-dabulous

I guess we can assume the xbox is un-bricked again or that microwave is working quite well.

McTalon

Oct 3, 2007
Not true sir, I've been saying that bit about the FPS genre deprecation for nigh on years (albeit mine had us all working in EA's sulfur mines) but lacked the large e-outlet you possess

In either case, well done, that video was well worth the 20 seconds it took to load and I should think more than makes up for the fact you had to play Peggle

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
I Knew he was gonna do Halo 3 on the last topic. Now wheres my five bucks?

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
If you guys really, uhh, dig it and you have a Digg account, show it some love here:

http://digg.com/videos/gaming/Zero_Punctuation_Halo_3

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
Ahh yes you summed up my thoughts perfectly there Mr. Croshaw.

I played through the SP campaign last week, and I was left with the same impression I had of Halo's 1 and 2... pretty graphics, dumbed down controls, recycled levels, and the most annoying online community in the fucking world.

jilas

Sep 5, 2007
im a big fan of halo3 and all you said was real and rly good. still i only buy halo3 for the multiplayer online and not rly for the campagne because halo = xbox live and not single player

MrKeroChan

Oct 3, 2007
Yahtzee- It's nice feel that there indeed other members of the gaming strata of humanity that can, indeed ENJOY, games that do not require one to never have progressed passed the "playing Army" stage of boyhood.

galaga4ever

Sep 19, 2007
Country
US
Thank God. I wrote my own review of Halo 3 wherein I ripped it apart in much the same way Yahtzee has, although his is (dur) better. But at least I'm not the only one, aside from those brave NY Times (!) and British Xbox magazines (!!), who acknowledges the following:

* The singleplayer sucks
* The AI sucks
* The plot and story sucks
* This game is average at best
* I don't give a damn about multiplayer.

I'm going to enjoy my reflected feeling of superiority now.

gozaimas

Sep 21, 2007
I see your backlash and match it: the schizophrenia joke was good and the section in the middle with the Ewok-with-lampshade-on-head banter was pretty funny but not so sure about the rest.

Seemed just a little too too knowing and eager in its controversy, and leaving out discussion of vast sections of the rest of the package just so you could keep the line of argument clean and on-message seems quite unfair.

While carefully balanced and nuanced criticism obviously isn't quite the point of the column, such focussed efforts to irritate fanboys - however deserving they are of irritation - is cheap and as such I thought this was weaker than your previous content.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Well, I suppose when you look at it like that - that being, "I don't give a damn about multiplayer" - it's pretty mediocre. Meh, I like it. Probably because I give a damn about multiplayer. Maybe you could try it, just to see what the crowd of fanboys that makes up much of the gaming community is talking about. Who knows? There're a lot of people saying the multiplayer is great. Maybe they have a point.

...Then again, I wouldn't exactly want to say that while standing in the middle of Nazi Germany. Stick to your guns, Yahtzee.