Zero Punctuation: Halo 3

Illuminatis

Oct 3, 2007
Great review, I think my favorite so far. But one question, did you like Halo 3 or Peggle more?
Btw im not exactly sure if he was saying he hates multiplayer in general, but it is true that a game shouldnt be getting such high reviews with such a poor single player, why not just cut that out and make it an all multiplayer game instead of trying to do both.

Oct 3, 2007
Multiplayer is the heart of most games for me, so I absolutely love Halo 3, but your criticisms are valid. I never really thought much of the Halo single player campaigns, but since I spent around 9 months playing Halo 2 online it's hard to give it a score of average in my book when I had a freaking blast.

keithburgun

Aug 1, 2007
Wow... I'm not alone in the universe... Thank you so much Yahtzee... The first thing I saw of yours was your Bioshock review and when I heard the phrase "console tards" i finally felt that wow, maybe I'm not crazy! Thanks again, keep it going!

gc_danny

Oct 3, 2007
Where were all you nice people yesterday? I reviewed Halo 3 for gamecritics.com and I've got almost nothing but people insulting me in surprisingly crude and uncreative fashions. You know what? I'm telling them about this review. Maybe they'll spread some of the hate around.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
gc_danny said:
Where were all you nice people yesterday? I reviewed Halo 3 for gamecritics.com and I've got almost nothing but people insulting me in surprisingly crude and uncreative fashions. You know what? I'm telling them about this review. Maybe they'll spread some of the hate around.
I feel you, Danny. LINK [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/2278-Halo-3-First-Impressions]

Oct 3, 2007
gc_danny said:
All the nice people start playing again in about an hour.

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
FACT.50 said:
I played through the SP campaign last week, and I was left with the same impression I had of Halo's 1 and 2... pretty graphics, dumbed down controls, recycled levels, and the most annoying online community in the fucking world.
...besides, if you DO give a damn about multiplayer there's Battlefront, 2142, and Ureal Tourniment that already do that... only better.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
gc_danny said:
I feel you, Danny. LINK [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/2278-Halo-3-First-Impressions]
Well this site is probably the most intellegent when it comes to gaming. You shouldnt find any trolls here. At least here people explain there views here. Thats why I only make topics on this site. But yeah this is what I expected of Halo 3. Not bad, but definetly not good either.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
I don't think any fans of this video series should be surprised at all that Yahtzee doesn't care about multiplayer. From there, it shouldn't have been too far a stretch to conclude that he wouldn't care much for a game whose single-player campaign is basically one long training mission/excuse to shove everyone into far shinier multiplayer.

I mean, was anyone impressed by the report about how Microsoft supposedly blazed whole new trails of iterative game development with Halo 3?

jackolantern

Oct 3, 2007
this just in: everything sucks!

i mean, you can tear anything down.

you don't like something. big deal.

however, yahtzee here is an entertainer. so, his opinion, while not a big deal as well, is appreciatively sensational, which is what makes it entertaining.

Oct 3, 2007
Disagree utterly with this one I'm afraid. Worse than Bioshock? Uck. Bioshock was an excellent example of storytelling done right, but there wasn't an actual GAME attached to it. Halo on the other hand is well, the closest thing to the perfect FPS that I've yet to come across. Yes we all enjoy our bouts of CoD or Battlefield or even when forced, Counter Strike... but the one series that keeps delivering entertainment years after release is Halo. I'm not sure how many hours of gameplay I've taken from the campaign alone yet; I'm sure there's some Bungie.net stat I can check up though. It must be a great deal; once through on Heroic co-op, once through on Legendary co-op, once through to pick up the Skulls and another playthrough to beat the Meta-Game scores. Not once have the encounters played out the same.

I know it's "chic" and "cool" to "criticise" "the" game "" ["?"] [or is it still? Which way does the wind of fashionable counter-opinion blow today?] but for this ex-Amiga, ex-PC fanboy it really does complete a Holy triumvirate of awesome - K240, Elite 2 and 3, Halo series.

That said, if you ever fancy giving the multiplayer a fair shot you're more than welcome to join me and my cabal of not-high-pitched-at-all Englishmen.

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
Brilliant and hilarious.

jackolantern said:
However, yahtzee here is an entertainer. so, his opinion, while not a big deal as well, is appreciatively sensational, which is what makes it entertaining.
Yeah.

Snap07

Oct 3, 2007
Hi, just registered for this.
Awesome review, i just love his way of setting opinions that are flying high due to raging hype-ing back on earth. Hes not "tearing anything down" just for the fun, hes just more honest that those "hay guys we need to fill this page here with awesome preview stuff that surely will offend none of our readers". Hes just that awesome.
Of course "his review" is subjective, he is reviewing what he thought about a game that he played and by definition that includes his opinion.

Btw, i bought Psychonauts because of his review and boy, i enjoyed that game way more than Bioshock/Halo3. Yahtzee,please please please do positive reviews of game-gems that people missed more often! Bringing overhyped mainstream games back into reality is good and fine (and probably better to make fun of), but id love to see your takes on other stuff you liked (surrealism i guess).

Ps: Loved your Flashback-LP.

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
Well, the bright side is if you originally had another game lined up it'll be easy to do your review next week.

gozaimas

Sep 21, 2007
jackolantern: right but Zero Punctuation has been, to my mind, about pointing out truths through perspicacious use of The Funny. There was still The Funny here but as it was less concerned with pointing out truth than as with bear-baiting it's all the less perspicacious for it.

That wouldn't be a problem but for the fact that the piece starts with Yahtzee calling all other game reviewers in the world 'cock eaters' (is that actually funny?), implying that he is the great, single rational mind in a critical community otherwise drunk on hype. Exaggeration to make a point is fine but it needs to be mostly true to properly work.

omnibus01

Jun 12, 2007
Indeed...I enjoy a nifty flash presentation as well as the next guy, but have a bit of trouble trusting a fellow named after a mindless dice-rolling game. In addition, the English wannabe colonial displays an almost Al Gore-like smugness as he gives a rather shallow imitation of Stewie Griffin. Oh, yes, it is very chic to flame the most popular console FPS series in history, and that after stating that he didn't play the first two games; but, gee, he's entitled to his ill-informed and ignorant opinion anyway. And so he is--as are the members of the Flat Earth Society. Then, just to underline the incredible lack of understanding of the series popularity, he smugly states that he distains the multiplayer. The tone there being that only Nascar-watching, beer-swilling cretins actually lower themselves to play a multiplayer game, and on a CONSOLE, for God's sake! Oh, the cultural elitists are nothing if not amusing as they wallow in their own gooey hubris. Yes, Bioshock is a better single player game, and so is Half-life, and some others. But none of them are as much pure FUN. So not having played Halo or Halo 2, and participating in nary an online session, and having no idea what-so-ever about the backstory...nevertheless he will produce a cutesy flash offering that only shows his stuck-up prejudice, and flames the game in a pathetic attempt to bolster his intellectual and oh-so-liberal credentials.

Filthy lucre is not my idea of establishing the quality of ANYTHING, but the Bungie folks must be chuckling to themselves as they shop for new BMW convertibles, etc. I HAVE played Halo, and Halo 2, and now Halo 3. I am not the least bit ashamed to admit that I greatly enjoyed the experiences. I do swill beer sometimes, but don't go for the Nascar thing...

Finally, I wonder where the venerable Yahtzee lives. There can be no house or apartment large enough to contain both him and his ego. Drive on, Yahtzee, further into the fog...

jackolantern

Oct 3, 2007
it certainly doesn't pain him to do it, otherwise he probably wouldn't do it. so, yeah, he does do it for fun, not in a superficial way but in a self-satisfying way.

and, we assume he's being honest, which is a safe assumption otherwise his argument would probably fall apart (unless it's all well rehearsed lying). but that doesn't mean it's not sensational and incredibly biased. moreover, if we're to assume that he's really as intelligent and we assume him to be, then we'd have to acknowledge that he realizes it's only his opinion and therefore not an end all point of view. so, logically, he'd be milking the sensationalistic part for its own sake. otherwise, he'd just be an egotistical douchebag and no better than a tool.

i'm hoping that he isn't an egotistical tool, because that would ruin the fun of his pieces for me (especially since i don't agree with everything he says). not that he would care, but i'm just chiming in.

keithburgun

Aug 1, 2007
I'd like to add something here - I really hope that Yahtzee does not get pidgeonholed as a "funny reviewer". First and foremost, I think he is DEAD ON with all of his reviews.

Oct 3, 2007
gc_danny said:
Where were all you nice people yesterday? I reviewed Halo 3 for gamecritics.com and I've got almost nothing but people insulting me in surprisingly crude and uncreative fashions.
While I really love what is done with Zero Punctuation, I view this as more of a humor/rant/opinion site than I do a review site.

You, on the other hand, are a professional game reviewer. You're not sony defense force. Your review made it to Metacritic, and is currently the lowest Halo 3 score there. When you review Halo 3 and don't for a moment mention features as innovative as forge and save films, you've made a mistake.

I HATE the stupid plot of Halo games, and feel bungie can't tell a good story to save their lives. But I don't play Halo for the plot, and neither do a lot of people. And thanks to features like four player competitive scoring--also ignored by your review, I believe--even the campaign can be quite fun.

While the Unreal Tournament 3 editor will be WAY more powerful than forge, it will also be VERY complex, and you'll need a computer to use it. Forge allows all gamers to get in and screw with the gameplay in ways never before seen in a mainstream console FPS, and you just ignored that.