Zero Punctuation: Headlander & Quadrilateral Cowboy

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Darth_Payn said:
RJ 17 said:
My favorite part about Hackers was a part that completely dates the movie to a hilarious degree: everyone's "NO FUCKING WAY!!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!" reaction to one of the characters boastfully stating that he just got a "new" 56k modem.
I happen to like HACKERS, because it has a product-of-its-time earnestness and charm it wears on its sleeve. And yet, I find Swordfish to be almost unwatchable.
Quadrilateral Cowboy has piqued my interest for its hacking mechanics. Still not sure about the head-swapping one.
BloodRed Pixel said:
Double Fine manouver themselves more into the sea of obsoletenes with each game.

Guess their prime time is definitely over.
What is it with big dev studios making "indie" games now, anyway?
I thought Swordfish was fun and found Hackers was merely average, today it's only really noteworthy for being Angelina Jolie's first really big role.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
If he enjoyed the hacking part of Quadrilateral Cowboy I wonder what he thought of "else Heart.Break()"?

He probably did what everyone did and never played it, but if he did I am curious what he thought of it.

Steve the Pocket said:
I don't know if he reads these threads anymore, but it would be interesting to see a re-review of a game he reviewed ages ago but has changed considerably in the years since, like TF2 (which he only devoted about a minute to even then) or Minecraft (as a good point of comparison to the growing trash pile of open world survival games and No Man's Sky in particular).
I am Bedinsis, and I approve of this message.

carewolf

Jan 10, 2015
Steampunk in the 80s? You mean cyberpunk? Specifically "contemporary" cyberpunk (now retro-not so futuristic cyberpunk, I guess?). You know steampunk is named after that genre right?

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
GrumbleGrump said:
So a "give it a miss" and a "give it a chance" this week. Still, I might check out Quadraplegic Fanboy, sounds like an interesting concept applied well.
I've had Quintessential Bellboy on my steam 'to buy...at some point' list for a little while now. Its got good user reviews and good critical reviews and just all round seems like a good time. One of the user reviews compared it to "a little Deus Ex, a little Hacker Uplink, a little Monaco" which just sounds fantastic.

Definitely somewhat more encouraged after the Yahtzee review though.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
RJ 17 said:
My favorite part about Hackers was a part that completely dates the movie to a hilarious degree: everyone's "NO FUCKING WAY!!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!" reaction to one of the characters boastfully stating that he just got a "new" 56k modem.
Ahhhh, the Nineties...

Anyway, due to this video I now want to see someone try and make a production of Henry IV with 17 Falstaffs.

*drama drama FALSTAFF drama FALSTAFF FALSTAFF FALSTAFF dr-FALSTAFF*

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Demonstrated: the risk when making fun of comedy is that you yourself aren't funny. Especially true when you lead that in with a completely out of place tentacle hentai joke because you know, that was funny at some point in the distant past.

nitrium oxide

Jun 10, 2011
I humbly suggest Hacknet for Yahtzee, which sounds somewhat similar to Quadrilateral Cowboy in that you have to type commands (Unix) to hack stuff in order progress and uncover the story.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/hacknet

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Yahtzee, this is gonna sound soppy, but I'm just saying that I appreciate that after so long you're still doing ZP reviews. I binge-watched a lot of them recently and realized that it'll be a sad day when your last one comes out. Keep it up :)

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
Has anyone else noticed that the escapist magazine has lost a lot of content creators. They also have not really replaced them with anything, I mean the publication calendar is practically empty. I hope that this is not a sign that the escapist is going under because I really like this places, it's fun.

I mean it wasn't to long ago that the calendar had the likes of man at arms, unskippable, the jimquisition and dose anyone else remember when the escapist had unforgotten realms and animations like that. I know that all of these people left to do other things for other places but the escapist looks a little dead at the moment. Which is sad to me.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
JagerBombastic said:
Has anyone else noticed that the escapist magazine has lost a lot of content creators. They also have not really replaced them with anything, I mean the publication calendar is practically empty. I hope that this is not a sign that the escapist is going under because I really like this places, it's fun.

I mean it wasn't to long ago that the calendar had the likes of man at arms, unskippable, the jimquisition and dose anyone else remember when the escapist had unforgotten realms and animations like that. I know that all of these people left to do other things for other places but the escapist looks a little dead at the moment. Which is sad to me.
I'm not sure who else suffered this, but Jim and MovieBob were forced out. If you want to know why, the common answer is that both of them were becoming SJWs (Or whatever term you want to use to those of you who get fussy about it).

As far as everyone else, I do not really know. I remember something about the magazine going under new management, but that's the last I heard.

And, to address the empty calendar, it hasn't really bother me since all I come here for, aside from Yahtzee's stuff, is Erin Dies Alone and the occasional article that passes my eye. Aside from that, I spend my time following other creators, or working on my own stuff.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
nitrium oxide said:
I humbly suggest Hacknet for Yahtzee, which sounds somewhat similar to Quadrilateral Cowboy in that you have to type commands (Unix) to hack stuff in order progress and uncover the story.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/hacknet
How does that compare to Uplink?

I know Hacknet is newer and may have a different focus but not much beyond that.

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
Transdude1996 said:
JagerBombastic said:

I'm not sure who else suffered this, but Jim and MovieBob were forced out. If you want to know why, the common answer is that both of them were becoming SJWs (Or whatever term you want to use to those of you who get fussy about it).

As far as everyone else, I do not really know. I remember something about the magazine going under new management, but that's the last I heard.

And, to address the empty calendar, it hasn't really bother me since all I come here for, aside from Yahtzee's stuff, is Erin Dies Alone and the occasional article that passes my eye. Aside from that, I spend my time following other creators, or working on my own stuff.
Fair enough, I have watched Jim Sterling's stuff and have never considered him to be that SJW. My comments where merely out of concerned for the site as I have been a big fan ever since Zero Punctuation started airing on the site.

joeyjojo9658

Aug 28, 2016
carewolf said:
Steampunk in the 80s? You mean cyberpunk? Specifically "contemporary" cyberpunk (now retro-not so futuristic cyberpunk, I guess?). You know steampunk is named after that genre right?
The box art for Quadrilateral Cowboy even says CYBERPUNK on it.

Also can't believe Yahtzee hasn't read that classic of cyberpunk, Neuromancer by William Gibson. The protagonist is a 'console COWBOY'.