Zero Punctuation: Heavenly Sword and Other Stuff

_daxter_

Jan 12, 2008
Two points of criticism. Nariko actually has two swords as far as I remember. She wasn't defenseless before using the Ring of Power... ehm... Heavenly Sword. This elegantly blends with my second point: the is three combat stances in the game (I think in the demo too?). Using only the Heavenly Sword is one of them. Using each stance at the right time against the right opponent at least delivers some depth... as far as I know more than God of War. With the right attack it is easy to dispose of the mentioned hat-bearers. Hardly any senseless button mashing, although the strategic aspect only really comes into play in Hell Mode... wonder where I've heard something like that before...

Barlog cannot sue another Playstation title, right? Hmm...

Cheers.

MonkeySPY

Feb 21, 2008
I had watched the zero punctuation demo awhile back and enjoyed the experience. Recently I just bought this game used for pretty cheap and played it all the way through and to my surprise actually enjoyed it. But something stood out that made me laugh out loud quite a bit. At the 3 minute mark of this video he mentions that Nariko cuts the rope of this huge column and crushes soldiers below "doing manly things such as arm wrestling and grunting". To my surprise I made it to the level eventually he played in the demo, and I bursted out laughing when to my surprise you cut the rope to this huge column and guys are actually below grunting and arm wrestling. Anyway I laughed...

Ok now I bored myself. Good Luck out there everyone.

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
a transcript to all of us who love yahtzee but sometimes he talks too fast for out slow brains.

And does anyone understand or know how to spell the reference to Nariko's hair O_O
the best I could come up with was "taechilatelly"

Edit: Thx for the spelling correction Tagliatelle = flat ribbion like pasta

Oh and for the RE 5 part

white as the "iven" snow is all I can make out, does anyone know???

Heavenly Sword and Other Stuff

At the end of July, a demo of the PS3 exclusive hacky slashy Maim-a-Thon, Heavenly Sword, by developers Ninja Theory, was released on the PS3 online market place thing. The game is luckily described as not merely a game but a martial arts drama in the guise of a game, But enough quoting from the Wikipedia page. Let?s see what the demo has to show for itself.

The game, sorry, martial arts drama is named after the weapon wield by the main character, extremely western looking woman with extremely Japanese sounding name du jour, Nariko. Although if you look closely you?ll notice that most of the time the heavenly sword is actually two swords, plural. Perhaps because developers felt they weren?t being enough like God of War.

Nariko certainly wears roughly the same amount of clothing as Kratos, in that she?s one protruding nail away from a Boris Vallejo painting. But after that the developers seem to go out of their way to defy the comparison. Kratos is possessed of no hair and a Y chromosome, Nariko has no Y chromosome and hair growing out about eight feet long, which flows jerkily behind her like a rope made out of dried tagliatelle. The whole effect does not so much as scream battle-hardened swords woman, as it does the phrase ?Try and pull this one off, Cosplayers.?

Anyway, the Heavenly Sword S demo uses the bold story-telling technique known as telling us ?Bugger all,? and throws us right into the game in medias res. We see Nariko standing on a cliff, looking down upon some prime river side property, soliloquizing some motivation concerning her father, and revenge, and how the place below her is full of evil dudes she intends to slit up. Of course at this point we only have her word for that. For all we know it?s actually a puppy obedience school with an unusually large security detail. But what the hell, ok.

Nariko then turns to some?thing, sitting vacantly nearby wearing cat ears and makeup apparently applied by a KISS fan with Parkinson?s disease, and relays to it her intention to slit up evil dudes. She then adds, with a totally straight face, ?We may need you to play Twing-Twang.? My first thought, when I heard that, was, ?I am so going to quote that out of context.? But on reflection it doesn?t make a whole lot of sense in context either. If the developers were hoping I would consider buying the full game to find out what Twing-Twang is, then mission fucking accomplished, I suppose. But I?m going to be very disappointed if it isn?t a cutsie euphemism for lesbian cunalingus. Yeah, I went there.

Moving on, our first taste of interactivity comes as we walk Nariko up to a support rope and press X when the game invites us to, at which point she starts running along it towards the compound. And the God of War comparisons return like a half brick to the skull, when the game has us do the whole button mashing reflex tester thing. I follow the games orders like a well trained west highland terrier and end up on a narrow rocky spire that despite its height and remoteness is judged strategically important enough to have an entire regiment standing on it. And so I have to stop mocking the game for pointless nitpicks and move on to the make or break part of a fighting game, the combat.

Nariko is swiftly surrounded on all sides, by about ten million guards, so I immediately leap into action and mash random buttons on the controller as fast as I can. I didn?t really have much of a strategy in mind but it seemed that Nariko was interpreting my button pressing as more of a helpful suggestion then an order anyway. She jumps around with her under dressed under nourished form, spinning all over the place like a bunch of coat hangers in a dryer. But the attacks feel laborious, and it seems to take a lot of blows to bring down each individual enemy. Especially when the guys with big hats show up who block nearly every move. Once or twice the game took control to show Nariko doing a quick fatality move on some poor twit. But the moments when she did this, didn?t seem to have any particular connection to the buttons I was mashing at the time. At this point the only drama in this martial arts drama was whether or not I was going to be able to finish off the crowd before my thumbs fell off.

Eventually I killed everyone on the big tall spire. And since Nariko wasn?t quite finished expressing her death wish, she then cut the support ropes that held up the big stone errection, and rode it down to the ground, where it collapsed upon a bunch of soldiers who were doing manly things, like arm wrestling and grunting. And if you?re seeing a sort of Freudian motif going on here, then rest assured you?re not the only one. Another armed horde falls upon Nariko and another less precarious battle takes place. And as soon as it?s over the demo ends. ... That?s all there is.

It?s difficult to tell with a demo this short, but somehow I don?t feel that the that Heavenly SwordS is going to light the world on fire or be the kind of exclusive title the PS3 needs right now. It?s difficult to have faith in a developer that feels the optimum amount of game play time for a demo is barely enough to boil an egg. It?s so short that I?m left with nothing else to say about it.

So let?s talk about the Resident Evil 5 trailer instead. The video depicts a white as the driven snow main character from a previous Resident Evil game, in this case Chris Redfield (who has apparently been making an income on the side smuggling cantaloupe melons in his upper arms), entering an obviously foreign and tangibly dirty peasant village, and getting attacked by a scythe and pitchfork wielding mob of bewitched locals. And if this sounds familiar to you then you?ve probably played Resident Evil 4. Which also began with a white as the driven snow main character from a previous Resident Evil game entering an obviously foreign and tangibly dirty etc etc.

I wasn?t really expecting them to deviate too much a format that has proved wildly successful, but Jesus Christ guys, you could at least try to mix it up. Judging by the game play shown in the trailer that too hasn?t changed much, and their still maintaining the fine Resident Evil tradition of dialogue written by a twelve year old ADD sufferer locked in a room with a pile of Buffy the Vampire slayer comic books. But I?ve danced around the major issue long enough, so let?s talk about the hot spicy racism.

Capcom has rather shot themselves in the foot by having the peasants this time around being African, thus prompting the inevitable demented honking from the politically correct. In an admittedly weak defense of Capcom, Resident Evil 4 wasn?t any less racist really, what with all the Spaniard murdering and characters unironically using the expression ?Ay yai yai.? But poverty stricken Africans are a somewhat different kettle of fish to greasy mainland Europeans. Still the games are after all made by the Japanese, and everyone knows what a bunch of xenophobic dicks they are.

Part of me feels that, from an artistic stand point, there may be some merit in RE 5, because the point of a horror game is to be unnerving, and forcing a player to do something distasteful as well as frightening is a rather ground breaking method of doing that. But then again, this is Resident Evil, the series that brought us a squeaky voiced midget Napoleon, and if there?s sophisticated in an idea of theirs, it?s probably a total accident. There tends to be a knee jerk reaction toward perceived racism in these days, regardless of intent or irony. And I don?t think we need to start worrying about RE 5 until they break out the fried chicken.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
cutekittenkyti said:
And does anyone understand or know how to spell the reference to Nariko's hair O_O
the best I could come up with was "taechilatelly"
Tagliatelle [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagliatelle]

sixthcircle

Apr 11, 2008
hey y does the vid autoplay when i embed it on my page and is it possible to fix this? ty in advance for ne help:)

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I wonder if Yahtzee knew how famous he'd get, starting from this one (or his first review, on youtube)?

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I agree with Yahtzee. We still don't know a lot of RE5, so it's best if we wait what plans Capcom has for it.

boredbirdy

May 29, 2008
The Japanese are not xenophobic dicks and you deserve to die... OK, not really.

I have some Japanese friends and I must say this much. They have the world's most overrated video gaming ego. How can I say this? I've yet to lose to one that I willingly went up against. Did I enjoy it? What do you think.

Kylio

May 29, 2008
I find that the animations make the videos that much better to be honest.
And I know some Chinese kids who accept their heritage as gaming masters and put all their victories down to it. I feel better knowing that they most definatly have tiny cocks.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
ive made it my duty in life now to somehow mention "twing twang" in every conversation i have with my friends ^w^
also fun fact about resi 4, if you shoot the italien guy so much when your both defending a shack, he shoots you back XD and he's a better aim then you o_O

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I decided to watch this again after the Ninja Gaiden 2 review and I have to say that Yahtzee's voice sounds incredibly different. I also didn't find this as funny as I used to which is a real shame but I suppose that Yahtzee's raised his own bar since this was made.

Miss Ma'am

Aug 14, 2008
Ahaha, after listening to your Prince of Persia Perspectives review, and then this one, your voice is insanely different.

Not only that, but you're one day short of an anniversary, as far as Zero Punctuation is concerned.

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
Forum necromancy? Well, the guy above me posted just 4 days ago, so blame him.

Leon K. Fox post=6.47701.607326 said:
Dude...RE is not THAT bad
Compared with many other video games, not really. Compared with actual literature, it's really pretty bad. This of course implies that most games come off even worse, so I guess what I'm saying is that most games are very poorly written.

colourcodedchaos

Jun 20, 2008
Pretty much EVERY game these days is poorly written. I mean, a lot of them are either adapted from films (giving you very little to work with) or stolen from mythology (and regurgitating the Iliad along with lakes of blood does not a story make, as God of War so gorily points out), and the ones that have actually GOT a creative and brilliant storyline generally play like sacks of spanners. It's a rare game indeed that manages to mesh story and gameplay together without it becoming a horrible mess.