Zero Punctuation: Hot Coffee

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
darkrage6 said:
Good episode, but the DCEU is awesome.

Also Hilary did win the popular vote and only lost cause of Russia compromising the results:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-election/russians-compromised-election-systems-in-seven-states-nbc-news-idUSKCN1GC01E
Have you read the article you posted? I read it several weeks ago. My favorite quote from it is this:

"All of the state and federal officials agreed that no votes were changed and no voters were removed from voter roles as a result of the activity by Russian operatives, NBC News reported."

Also:

"Houlton said that the DHS is aware of 21 states being targeted by Russian hackers during the 2016 election cycle, and that in nearly all of them ?only preparatory activity like scanning was observed.?

?In no case is there any evidence that votes were changed or that Russian actors gained access to systems involved in vote tallying,? he said."

Six of the seven states deny that there was even an issue. So please, before you start bandying this article about as proof that the Russians hacked the election, please read it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Dangeresque said:
"References Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign"

Ugh...look, there were a bunch of different factors affecting that election's outcome. I don't need the reminder that the candidate who won the popular vote still lost to the worst possible candidate.
We Trumpers are scheduled to stop gloating in 2019, so, there is that to look forward to.

And yes, sadly, this is still relevant. Thank you for posting Yahtzee.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Then we can admit democracy in America is a lie, and the Electoral College is anti-democratic.
I don't think you would want the presidential office, an office that decides on policies for the entire US, to be decided by only the most densely populated states either, which would be the case without the electoral college.

Then again, the American election was already bust from the start, Trump wasn't the first to exploit it by a long shot and he won't be the last.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Dangeresque said:
"References Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign"

Ugh...look, there were a bunch of different factors affecting that election's outcome. I don't need the reminder that the candidate who won the popular vote still lost to the worst possible candidate.
To be fair, Hillary was kind of an awful candidate. She lost the previous primary against Obama, so next time around she essentially bought the party so it would put a thumb on the scale for her in the primaries and promptly lost the general to another terrible candidate, because apparently everyone got the whole point of doing primary elections backwards and both parties picked the worst candidate available.

Of course, was her being on the Hot Coffee thing from when she painted herself as the most liberal thing to ever exist, or back when she used to claim her politics were heavily influenced by her conservative upbringing? I think the latter stopped while she was First Lady, though I may just have started tuning it out around 2000.

Callate said:
It's 2018, and that "Did anyone think about violent video games?!" is still a political tactic in anyone's toolbox is enough to make one reach for the blood pressure medication.
It wouldn't be, but "video games corrupt the players, changing their basic personality to be $EVIL_OF_CHOICE" was kept alive by certain folks after the last time conservatives tried to blame shootings on them. The only thing that really changed was which talking heads were doing it, what the $EVIL_OF_CHOICE was, and whether or not the talking heads *in* gaming would declare you evil for challenging this round of it.

Now we have "video games cause shootings" and "video games cause far-right beliefs" from different sides of the aisle.

Callate said:
I dunno, I'm still not entirely convinced my party has cottoned to the fact that "Vote for us or/so we'll use our superior moral vantage point to call you scum" is not a particularly viable message.
What, you mean shame isn't a particularly good tactic for convincing people who don't already uncritically accept your worldview to vote for you? I. AM. SHOCKED.

Callate said:
The occasional reminder might be useful; the one thing that would be sadder than Trump winning in 2016 would be Trump winning in 2020.
Since I don't think the Dems will pull their heads out of their asses after losing just the one election (I would love to be surprised here, but I'm not holding my breath), maybe we could get a dramatically more moderate (and maybe even *competent*) conservative? I know, I'm asking for too much (not least of which because the primary election process rewards being extreme).