Zero Punctuation: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number & Ori And the Blind Forest

Enzbe

Sep 16, 2014
He didn't like Hotline Miami 2, huh?

Well too bad for him. I played it since it's release day and I still can't stop.
If you liked the first HM you got to play the second game! Trust me.
Even if you hate the story and the characters for some reason (I sure didn't, but that is just my opinion) you can atleast enjoy it as a new set of levels that require very different playstyles at times. Also more of the awesome music!

...but then again. Old Man Yahtzee was annoyed by the music of the first game, so what did I expect?

Varadar

Oct 24, 2013
I was very surprised when Yahtzee said he is not psychotic who wants everyone to die. Good that he clarified that immediately.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Regarding the spoiler. (by the way, spoilers) Gumo can actually be seen as a silhouette in the foreground before you find Naru dead, along with many other areas before you encounter him at the Ginso Tree. Personally don't think it ruined the story, and maybe I'm just a sappy person with bad taste but I really liked what was there :)

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
I felt that HL miami 2 while not as good as the first one is a pretty damn good game for 15 bucks but I still think that some of the levels in hard mode had some of the worst level design I seen in a while

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I loved Ori and the Blind Forest. But I don't play metroidvania type of games very much, or any other type of platformers so the fact that it doesn't offer anything new doesn't mean much to me. I thought it was a lot of fun. As for the emotional impact, the ending was kind of obvious. And the fact that spoiler thing happened in the first 5 minutes of the game kind of made me want to play it all the way through to see if the ending would be what I thought it would be. And it was. Predictable - yes. Disappointing - not really because my expectations were met.

Enzbe

Sep 16, 2014
PapaGreg096 said:
I still think that some of the levels in hard mode had some of the worst level design I seen in a while
That is so true! They some of them are so frustrating. I'm surprised they didn't just drop you into an area full of glass walls, fat guys and dogs.

However, it really was hard. I guess I got what I asked for.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Aptspire said:
I watched that spoiler and saved 20$!
Thanks, Yahtzee!

Seriously, way to undo your emotional buildup.

Shame about HM2:WN not being as good, however.
Actually just finished it today.

What Yahtzee says is accurate. It's a 2nd helping that might be a bit too much, but I enjoyed it as a fan of the original.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Aptspire said:
I watched that spoiler and saved 20$!
Thanks, Yahtzee!

Seriously, way to undo your emotional buildup.

Shame about HM2:WN not being as good, however.
Actually just finished it today.

What Yahtzee says is accurate. It's a 2nd helping that might be a bit too much, but I enjoyed it as a fan of the original.
The 'Nam sections bugged me a bit. Still, better than mandatory stealth like in the first one. And I will say that the music was fantastic - I can't believe that there were 49 original tracks for the game, but I do kind of want to buy the soundtrack now.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I'll join in with those queuing up to defend Ori; The story and plot contrivances he took issue with (which were also perhaps my one complaint with the game) aren't something enjoyment of the game really hinges on. The story might have a minor misstep or two, but the game isn't really story-centric. It's very gameplay oriented, the gameplay's tight and feels good, and the art and soundtrack are both fantastic. I really recommend it.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I'm not one to respond normally to "defending" a game but Yahtzee it's worth noting that in Ori and the Blind Forest...

Gumon, the friend we make in the middle of the game, revives Naru with the only method he knew possible, the last bit of energy his people had left.

Now, Gumon KNEW Naru was there because if you look at the beginning, you'll notice Gumon is in the foreground, blurred out momentarily and even seen several times throughout the game. Gumon follows Ori in remarkably subtle ways. That plot hole has been resolved.

Now as for why Naru was revived, Gumon did it out of a "thanks" to Ori for saving him. Gumon learned Kindness from Ori and as such delivered it to Ori by doing Ori a favor.

Now, I can see where "They're dead they should stay dead" thing comes up, but don't forget this was the only way to resurrect someone throughout the whole world of the game. The point of the "come back" is to show hope and kindness prevails, not hate and darkness. If that doesn't fit your bill, fine. Its your opinion, I'm not here to change that at all but rather explain why a few things did happen in the game that were unanswered.

Personally I thought the game was perfect, I had 0 issues with it at all and it's my instant GOTY until something somehow does better. The actual gameplay of manipulating forms of platforming to solve puzzles almost portal level complex was extremely great to go with a skill-based timing is extremely well done. The visuals themselves have a charm that is amazing and overall I don't see where someone could criticize it to where it's considered "bad", even with it's questionable plot element.

Essentially Yahtzee I know you might not read this but I don't think you're inherently wrong, I just believe you missed something.

I heavily recommend Ori. It's beautifully made and crafted with a love and care that most games don't seem to have often now-a-days.

Enzbe

Sep 16, 2014
PapaGreg096 said:
Was I the only person who thought Beard and Writer were the same person
Well, I recognised him as the shopkeeper from 1 immediately. I was actually surprised that they look different when I replayed HM 1.

but his last dialogue hit me right in the feels.
It's also cool that he pretty much proves the "HM 1 is just Jacket's brain-damaged memory"-theory

EvilRoy said:
The 'Nam sections bugged me a bit. Still, better than mandatory stealth like in the first one.
What I really hated in Hawaii was the limited ammunition. Just give me a full reload if I'm out of ammo, not just a few bullets.
The flamethrower is the best stealth weapon of any game though

EvilRoy said:
And I will say that the music was fantastic - I can't believe that there were 49 original tracks for the game, but I do kind of want to buy the soundtrack now.
Get it! It's totally worth paying the full price.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I wasn't going to buy either of these games anyway, but thanks for reassuring me that I'm not really missing anything.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I think I saw Ori at GDC, at the Microsoft lounge, and it definitely LOOKED pretty. I didn't understand what was going on though. By the sounds of it, I have GOT to catch up on Hotline Miami, but it doesn't sound like the sequel's worth my time or money.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Still skimping out on that Monster Hunter 4. I think that affects Yahtzee's worth as a person ;)

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Yeah, calling it now, the Order 1886 is making Yahtzee's worst list this year.

Well unless five even more terrible games come out before list-time runs around but come on how likely is that to happen?

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Huh ... seems like the "Yahtzee Croshaw age" is already over. We didn't even make it to one year. Anyone remember this line from the shovel knight review:
"NO MORE! This is Day One of Year One, all aboard the buffet car to share out the fucking sandwiches!"

So much for giving every indie game a full episode.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Terminate421 said:
I'm not one to respond normally to "defending" a game but Yahtzee it's worth noting that in Ori and the Blind Forest...

Gumon, the friend we make in the middle of the game, revives Naru with the only method he knew possible, the last bit of energy his people had left.

Now, Gumon KNEW Naru was there because if you look at the beginning, you'll notice Gumon is in the foreground, blurred out momentarily and even seen several times throughout the game. Gumon follows Ori in remarkably subtle ways. That plot hole has been resolved.

Now as for why Naru was revived, Gumon did it out of a "thanks" to Ori for saving him. Gumon learned Kindness from Ori and as such delivered it to Ori by doing Ori a favor.

Now, I can see where "They're dead they should stay dead" thing comes up, but don't forget this was the only way to resurrect someone throughout the whole world of the game. The point of the "come back" is to show hope and kindness prevails, not hate and darkness. If that doesn't fit your bill, fine. Its your opinion, I'm not here to change that at all but rather explain why a few things did happen in the game that were unanswered.

Personally I thought the game was perfect, I had 0 issues with it at all and it's my instant GOTY until something somehow does better. The actual gameplay of manipulating forms of platforming to solve puzzles almost portal level complex was extremely great to go with a skill-based timing is extremely well done. The visuals themselves have a charm that is amazing and overall I don't see where someone could criticize it to where it's considered "bad", even with it's questionable plot element.

Essentially Yahtzee I know you might not read this but I don't think you're inherently wrong, I just believe you missed something.

I heavily recommend Ori. It's beautifully made and crafted with a love and care that most games don't seem to have often now-a-days.
You put it in a much better way than I could, well done and I agree fully :)

canadamus_prime said:
I wasn't going to buy either of these games anyway, but thanks for reassuring me that I'm not really missing anything.
Basing your purchase on a game entirely on a Yahtzee "review" seems a bit premature. Look up some actual reviews before you write it off, because to me (and many others) Ori is game of the year material.

Captcha: too salty! no captcha, I'm not THAT salty!

StealthLesbian

Mar 25, 2015
Furngully reference! Also i did not know that there were hookers that specialized in old people. The more you know, i suppose, good to know I'm not wasting any time or money on these. Didn't look to interesting and the first Hotline game didn't exactly grab me by the bellend. Goes to show my weak attention span isn't always wrong.