Zero Punctuation: Hunt Down the Freeman

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ouch. Never played Half Life, but...yeah, what? Why do that? Ok, cashing in, but that's not a great way of doing that.

Oh, and first post and all.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
I just hate Valve as a company so much.

They just... do... nothing...

Like, they do nothing.They don't try to improve or advance or create or ANYTHING. They just sit on top of their platform monopoly as the situation gets worse and worse.

And where does all our complaining get us? Nowhere. Because our concerns fall on utterly deaf ears. Valve couldn't give less of a crap about improvement because they can't see through all the money they're making.

Aretheus

Dec 9, 2015
Cold Shiny said:
I just hate Valve as a company so much.

They just... do... nothing...

Like, they do nothing.They don't try to improve or advance or create or ANYTHING. They just sit on top of their platform monopoly as the situation gets worse and worse.

And where does all our complaining get us? Nowhere. Because our concerns fall on utterly deaf ears. Valve couldn't give less of a crap about improvement because they can't see through all the money they're making.
We're getting a Dota 2 card game. What more can you ask for?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Did Valve actually sign off on this fan game like Sega did for Sonic Mania or does Valve just not care about their IP anymore?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Canadamus Prime said:
Did Valve actually sign off on this fan game like Sega did for Sonic Mania or does Valve just not care about their IP anymore?
Nobody knows because Valve isn't talking. I'm betting the latter. Too bad they don't just auction off the Half Life IP since they know they're never going to do anything with it again.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Maybe its because I only played Half Life 1&2 like 8 years ago, but I never understood the...rapture it brings. Its an okay if slightly boring and repetitive FPS. Compared to games like Perfect Dark or even Turok, I don't understand why its some touchstone of story telling, character development and gameplay.

It'd be like if in 20 years people were like 'Wow, can you imagine what games were like before The Order: 1886? How could anyone have lived before that monumental exemplar of gameplay and graphics came to be?!'

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
See, shit like this is why some indie games are looking to be sold on the Switch of all things, it?s not run by someone who stopped giving a shit.

Also, this main character is supposed to be a selfish monster right? That?s the only explanation I can think for why we play as someone who JOINS the fucking Combine.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
"Still at least that's one fifth of this year's bottom five sorted"

I know right?! How can this not be #1 on the worst list. What the fuck can top this?!

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
First off Yahtzee, it has been about a month Into The Breach released, strategy game by FTL developers.

Second off, I've elaborated a theory about what Yahtzee said: X Franchise/Studio goes stagnant -> X Franchise releases new game that slightly releases the strings and thinks outside the box -> Critical acclaim.

Say what you want about Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey, but the fact Skyward Sword and 3D World had mixed reactions helped contrast them with the new ones. After spending a decade making such shooters even Call of Duty would laugh at, the fact Guerilla released something different, namely Horizon Zero Dawn. And even Epic managed to weaponize that by taking the PUBG crowd into Fortnite.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
At this point, I don't think we're ever going to get a Half-Life 3, since Valve just stopped caring. It's frustrating but maybe we should stop complaining to them if they won't listen...

HazardousCube

Apr 20, 2017
I'm currently on mobile and I'm asking why did I get a 45 second video about the escapist YouTube channel back when they actually had new things to post?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Silentpony said:
Maybe its because I only played Half Life 1&2 like 8 years ago, but I never understood the...rapture it brings. Its an okay if slightly boring and repetitive FPS. Compared to games like Perfect Dark or even Turok, I don't understand why its some touchstone of story telling, character development and gameplay.

It'd be like if in 20 years people were like 'Wow, can you imagine what games were like before The Order: 1886? How could anyone have lived before that monumental exemplar of gameplay and graphics came to be?!'
That's because prior Half Life 1, the closest to "storytelling" in an FPS was done with the original Doom. And leveldesign as well (basically a random maze that didn't look anything like a real location outside of maybe 'a warehouse' while claiming to be a lab of some kind). And friendly NPCs in an FPS, by then, was also completely unheard of - if it was moving, it was an enemy. And if it wasn't moving, it was still an enemy or a prop.
Similar with Half Life 2, except it also became one of the best looking games of 2004 and instead of just giving us a story and an envoirement at all (which was then more common and standard, thank god) they came along with a good story and side characters. Stuff that, in regular FPS, was again rather unheard of (but common in other genres, of course).

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Aretheus said:
I'd rather Valve start fixing their shit and stop making Steam be an absolutely worthless platform with all of its clutter and extreme level of garbage, than have some fucking card game we don't need or asked for, for starters

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
Aretheus said:
I'd rather Valve start fixing their shit and stop making Steam be an absolutely worthless platform with all of its clutter and extreme level of garbage, than have some fucking card game we don't need or asked for, for starters
I think he was being facetious

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
I feel like the answer to his grand question at the end can be summed up as "BECAUSE MONEY".

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Silentpony said:
That comparison makes no sense. Nobody liked The Order at all during release. Neither did it innovate on any level. Comparisology requires a fair element of practice and deeper musing to achieve effectiveness, like all of the waffling fields. Hone and respect this craft. ;)

erttheking said:
Also, this main character is supposed to be a selfish monster right? That?s the only explanation I can think for why we play as someone who JOINS the fucking Combine.
Somebody probably called him a Combine supporter online and he took it so personally he decided the only way to prove them wrong is to join the Combine.

OT: Is this going to have a post ZP stream I wonder. Does it honestly deserve one?

Jan 27, 2011
Yeah, I too don't see why they can't hire 10 guys to play 10 to 30 minutes of each game that comes out, and say no to anything that's obviously broken like that weird sniper in the street one level thing Jim did a video about last week.

Because their current model is outright destroying their credibility, and leaving them wiiiide open to being supplanted as the place where you go to get good games.

Igor-Rowan said:
First off Yahtzee, it has been about a month Into The Breach released, strategy game by FTL developers.
What, I missed that? Dammit how did that happen. *Slaps it on wishlist for the time being*

Its also been almost a year since Styx Shard of Darkness came out, and that's the best stealth game I've played since the end of the Thief trilogy.