Zero Punctuation: Hyrule Warriors - Nintendo Holding Pattern?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Ah the calm before the storm. The comments are going to be interesting to watch.

Also very funny vid, Yatzhee

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Warriors games aren't for everyone.

I have spent way more time on these games (Hyrule Warriors included) than I care to admit >.>

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Yup, a warriors game. The 3DS Warriors game at least used the touch screen for ordering people around by giving you four characters to play at once and the ones you aren't using will accept RTS-like orders given via the touchscreen. That let you shuffle them into the positions where you were going to need them next while you're busy fighting something else. And when they complain about being in trouble you just switch control over to them and do some actual fighting.

Overall that meant less time spent running to the battles and more time spent fighting those battles (because the running could be done by the AI).

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
(As my inner self screams "Fuck you Yahtzee") *calmly* As much as I can understand why Yahtzee would shit all over Hyrule warriors, He kinda missed the mark on the original characters thing. Yeah there's the fanservice-y main villain Cia, but there's more than just one original character (Lana, Volga and Wizzro). I know thats not much, but he's kinda blowing it out of proportion by saying there's only one......

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ugh. If you don't like it, fine, but do you really need to shit on the fans?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
A Tingle home pregnancy test, hmm.... You know, Tingle always did seem like the kind of guy who would enjoy getting peed on.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It's called a Triforce because Ganondorf always TRIes to take it by FORCE. Eh? Eh?

erttheking said:
I mean, this is Zero Punctuation.

Casual Shinji said:
A Tingle home pregnancy test, hmm.... You know, Tingle always did seem like the kind of guy who would enjoy getting peed on.
I think it'd sell better if it was Navi.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
It's called a Triforce because Ganondorf always TRIes to take it by FORCE. Eh? Eh?

erttheking said:
I mean, this is Zero Punctuation.

Casual Shinji said:
I think it'd sell better if it was Navi.
I know that Yahtzee said that he thinks offensive humor is inclusive but... just calling someone a **** is not being inclusive. It's not even humor. It's just insulting someone.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I'm writing this first part before watching the video. (I also haven't bought the game in question)

I'm going to take a guess that he doesn't like it, he's going to joke about how the Wii U Gamepad is terrible and has a short battery life, how much Nintendo relies on their old franchises, and take a stab at Zelda/Nintendo fans.

Now, to watch the video.

Huh, no jokes about the gamepad's battery life. I'm impressed.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I quite liked the game, but I also quite liked this video... both of them made me laugh. A lot.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about Yahtzee here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Yahtzee, in The Escapist, plodding undeterred through what's awesome and what's bullshit in games. Another spot-on review. He has my sword, my bow and my axe.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
erttheking said:
I know that Yahtzee said that he thinks offensive humor is inclusive but...calling someone a **** is not being inclusive. It's not even humor. It's just insulting someone.
Any Scottish person can explain that it's perfectly possible to use the word **** in a rather affectionate way, and sometimes a well-timed insult can be a glorious thing.

A story I read once on the B3ta website. A guy there was at his friend's funeral. He had died of a rather rapid disease of some kind, and everyone was understandably devastated. After the funeral, the deceased's mother came up to our hero and said 'he told me he wanted you to have this', handing him an envelope.

Opening it up, he found a card on which was written a single word. '****'.

Now that's timing.

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
This is a pretty standard assessment of a "______ Warriors" game. Peons are just ammunition for your special bar, allies are generally incompetent unless the game knows you can't be there to help because you're doing something else, and "difficulty" comes from AI abusing taking advantage of stupid stuff in the game instead of actually being intelligent.

Such is the way of things. They're still super fun, though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
erttheking said:
I know that Yahtzee said that he thinks offensive humor is inclusive but... just calling someone a **** is not being inclusive. It's not even humor. It's just insulting someone.
That's what "inclusive humour" generally tends to mean. It means you don't exclude simply insulting someone.

mmiki

Mar 1, 2013
erttheking said:
Show us on the doll where the nasty internet man offended you.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I've never really played any Warriors games except for a brief foray into Gundam Warriors about 8 years ago, but isn't the whole point of them kinda just...y'know...supposed to be mindless murder fun? Not in a bad way, but aren't these games practically the sole definition of, to use a Yahtzee coined phrase, Spectacle Fighters?

You run around, there are lots of dudes, you hit buttons so cool stuff happens and then there AREN'T lots of dudes until you go to the next lots of dudes AA meeting.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
I was thinking more that this seems to be a grudge match at this point.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Flatfrog said:
erttheking said:
I know that Yahtzee said that he thinks offensive humor is inclusive but...calling someone a **** is not being inclusive. It's not even humor. It's just insulting someone.
Any Scottish person can explain that it's perfectly possible to use the word **** in a rather affectionate way, and sometimes a well-timed insult can be a glorious thing.

A story I read once on the B3ta website. A guy there was at his friend's funeral. He had died of a rather rapid disease of some kind, and everyone was understandably devastated. After the funeral, the deceased's mother came up to our hero and said 'he told me he wanted you to have this', handing him an envelope.

Opening it up, he found a card on which was written a single word. '****'.

Now that's timing.
I can respect that. But was this affectionate or well timed? It feels like it's the same tone I would expect someone to shout at me in the street. I'm sorry if I'm being a party pooper, but this really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Don't think I didn't notice using Mussolini's head for boobs. I can notice that bug-eyed expression anywhere.
Johnny Novgorod said:
Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about Yahtzee here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Yahtzee, in The Escapist, plodding undeterred through what's awesome and what's bullshit in games. Another spot-on review. He has my sword, my bow and my axe.
But what will you be left with?

OT: I've watched a friend of mine play Hyrule Warriors on his WiiU, and it looks as insane as he described it. Ya know, Zelda's not the only franchise to get that kind of remake. Remember Mobile Suit Gundam?