Zero Punctuation: Infamous 2

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Anchupom said:
Roganzar said:
Wow, that has to be the most favorable review I've seen Yahtzee do.
I kept waiting for the big turd covered other shoe to drop and the worst it gets is that the moral choice system still sucks, (s shoe just not turd covered).
Go watch the orange box. THAT is the most favourable review Yahtzee has ever done. Sort of.
and the one for Painkiller was probably a bit more positive than this, but I reckon this one comes third after those two.

Edit: Correction. Infamous 2 comes fourth after Orange Box, Painkiller and Saint's Row 2
Very true, the painkiller review has my favourite quote ever: "IT SHOOTS SHURIKENS AND LIGHTNING! It could only be more awesome if it had boobs and was on fire!" :D

Solon_Mega

Feb 7, 2011
That's it. It is what I feared since the beggining. Yahtzee is broken. The Duke Desilusion Forever was too much for him. Nothing can beat that.

mastiffchild

May 27, 2010
So, basically, Yahtzee would have found the game nigh on perfect had SP named the two extremes on their moral choice system differently? Maybe, had they gone for "complete twat Cole" and "butter wouldn't sodding melt Cole" he'd have been happy with it all round?

The thing is, they can't(not AND have a decent sandbox as the writing and mission making would get mental and the dev cycle would just grow and grow-and SP aren't a massive team despite a decent legacy with Sly)do all the shades of grey and might have been best ignoring the first game and just having a few choices and an unfairly misunderstood Cole in a world where people just see the worst in you and especially mistrust you if you're an outsider with amazing powers who, they say, managed to destroy his own town. Nearly twice. ?wouldn't have been that hard to make two or three endings and just save all the good power ups for a set XP or whatever. I realise the first had it so they felt they needed it and the inclusion of a level editor speaks volumes to me as this game cannot have MP so they want ANY reason for replay value and for that you gotta, partly, blame the critics of this world who create when there's no MP in a strong SP package-WTF is that about?

I really liked the first inFAMOUS despite finding the choice system a bit weak myself and thought the star was the under rated writing and couldn't, for the life of me, understand how anyone found ,much of a similarity with it and Hulk UD2(or Prototype)at the time as P'tye was the worst written and unconvincingly put together game of it's year. Hopefully they've done as much with that as SP seem to have managed with what looks just about the best sequel inFAMOUS was ever going to get. It's never going to please everyone(sandboxes minus the R* mark rarely seem to for some reason)but SP always, for me, make well put together games and never get to hog the limelight and they really deserve a bit more than that. also hoping for a better show from P2 later this year as, even with a poor first game, there's something worth saving in there.

Goldjit

Jun 21, 2011
The evil path wasn't that good compare to the good because Cole didn't come across as evil at all. He did 90% of the same thing as in the good path so there was no impact in playing in the two different paths.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
Vegeta.. whats his scouter say on his power level.... ITS OVER 9000 !!!!!!!!!!!! 9000... can't believe no one got this internet meme.. its the first time Yahtzee has mentioned it.

+1 point for Yahtzee

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, sounds good and all, but if you're after a nit to pick, here's one: It's only on bloody Playstation! FFS I'm really goddamn tired of this exclusives business. Someone needs to explain to developers, preferably using lots of sharp pointy memory aids, that games released on only one platform are artificially limiting their audience and therefore sales. I think exclusives hold back gaming as a medium, and really ought to result in the automatic loss of a point or two in the old ten point review scale.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, and Naughty Dog have to be my three favorite developers personally, and Sucker Punch is definitely the odd one out there. I can't help but associate the three with Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, and Crash Bandicoot though... even if Insomniac was also Spyro (and Naughty Dog also Jak and Daxter)...

OT: Loved the first, going to get this one. Still want to platinum the first though.

Sep 14, 2009
huh wow..i haven't finished the first one up, been jumping on and off now, but from what i've seen around i might just have to beat it and get the 2nd one

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
I have say, I entirely agree with you for once in my life. Why be evil when being good is so much better?

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
The thing I liked most about the moral choices were the civilian's reactions. In my good playthrough, they would say, "Go get 'em!" or, "My family wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for you." As I'm doing my evil playthrough, some comments from the people really sink to the bone. Like, "How can you live with yourself?!" or, "We're not just toys to be played with!"

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Sounds like the perfect sequel. Same basic gameplay and mechanics but with added features and tweaks.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
Moral choice should just become choice, and let the players morals factor into right and wrong

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
Yeah, sounds good and all, but if you're after a nit to pick, here's one: It's only on bloody Playstation! FFS I'm really goddamn tired of this exclusives business. Someone needs to explain to developers, preferably using lots of sharp pointy memory aids, that games released on only one platform are artificially limiting their audience and therefore sales. I think exclusives hold back gaming as a medium, and really ought to result in the automatic loss of a point or two in the old ten point review scale.
Exclusives are what keep Sony going. With nothing new going for them consolewise except the PSMove, they have to keep whatever exclusives they can get. LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, Ratchet and Clank in particular. Sanzaru's even doing a full revival of Sly Cooper with Sly 4 and that'll be PS3 exclusive too.

bitCrusher

Jul 3, 2011
I agree with Yahtzee about being able to choose whether you want to be good or bad in the beginning of the game instead of making the same choices over and over again. It's something I never understood in games with moral choices. Do people normally want to be the good guy and just suddenly transform into the biggest d-bag ever?

Sep 4, 2009
Did you make a bet with someone that you could stick "LOL" and "over nine thousaaaaand" into a video and no one would comment on it?

Because it just seemed a little... odd. In fact it seems like the sort of thing that you'd happy (verbally) knife someone for doing.

That aside, I enjoyed this.

MegaMatt685

Sep 13, 2011
Don't feel bad yahtzee the good ending made me seriously consider thinking about tearing up a bit too.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I've seen another review (with actual gameplay in it) show that the "launch power" is an ice move and that the "swan dive" is a fire move. That means "ice = good" and "fire = evil" by the game's logic, right?