Zero Punctuation: inFAMOUS: Second Son - Bad Son Good Son

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
I actually think the Paper Trail missions are one the best things in the game. So you have to sign up and be online for it, oh darn that is such an inconvenience for me. I just never have my laptop around me....

But no I liked the puzzle quests, just how I liked the rift puzzles from the early AssCreed games. Its a fun little feature.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
And Good God, I forgot how bad the shoehorned crap could be. I remember all the Sixxxxxxxaxxxxxis crap from early PS3 games before they started pulling their heads out of their asses.
It could've been worse, they could've made us use the big, flabby L2/R2 triggers for shooting. I think a prominent sign that you fucked up with your controller is having a high profile launch FPS (Resistance: FoM), say 'Yeah, fuck that, we're using L1 and R1'. And then having every other exclussive that involved shooting of anykind follow the same example.
Yeah, use of the shoulder buttons was one of the reasons I preferd the 360 in the early stages. But I was always annoyed when the motion controls came up, because I don't sit upright and hold my hands perfectly level when playing, so....

marioandsonic said:
You could just have a game where you turn into Barney, and then sing your songs to people during interrogation until they either tell you everything or commit suicide.

Sadly, I don't think we will ever get a game like this. (At least not until I finish the design document...)
There's a Kickstarter that would have no trouble with funding.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Casual Shinji said:
It could've been worse, they could've made us use the big, flabby L2/R2 triggers for shooting. I think a prominent sign that you fucked up with your controller is having a high profile launch FPS (Resistance: FoM), say 'Yeah, fuck that, we're using L1 and R1'. And then having every other exclussive that involved shooting of anykind follow the same example.
Yeah, use of the shoulder buttons was one of the reasons I preferd the 360 in the early stages. But I was always annoyed when the motion controls came up, because I don't sit upright and hold my hands perfectly level when playing, so....
Well then, dig this... Second Son doesn't just have the hamfisted gimmick implication, it actually starts off with it. The very first bit of gameplay it presents you with is an awkward motion controlled grafitti bit. That was already a really bad start.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I tried to ask this before, hopefully I can get some info on someone who's played this and InFamous 2 before. I liked having all the powers available to me in Infamous 2, ready to be switched to when I wanted and being able to mix and match the different power types. Second Sons seems like a step back to me having to completely switch out power types and I wanted to know if their is any benefit that I'm not seeing for them doing it this way.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I love how each time Yahtzee reviews a game on the XBone or the PS4, I get this awesome sense of self-satisfaction at the fact that I haven't upgraded yet. Then it's quickly followed by a sort of sadness...when the PS360 released it actually felt new and exciting and like something I really wanted and would be gratified at my excitement and hype. This generation however just doesn't seem to be at all worth it...not yet anyway...

Sticking to my plan then: once the PS4 launch games are down to $20 I'll pounce. I imagine they're be that low in 2015 or so once Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts III launches.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So it turns out a half-assed attempt at a 'popular' game on a half-assed gaming computer is *shockingly* half-assed!
God, I thought the gaming community was done with karma games. It just feels like lazy writing. Like the writers couldn't decide if the player is good or bad and character development is too hard, so f-ck it, lets half-ass it and then blame any problems on gamers having too high of expectations!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
CWestfall said:
I have this horrible feeling this game is going to move a million copies and we're going to be discussing Infamous Second Son 2 this time next year.
The way everybody has been discussing Dark Souls for the past 4 years?

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I just realized that I would give my left testicle for a game where your superpower is that you could become TV characters in the real world. Become Barney and sneak into a kid's party! Channel Jack Bauer and get ready for some hardcore interrogation! Turn into Harvey Specter and talk your way out of anything!
They sell all those outfits in costume shops. Stop waiting for games and go live your dreams.

Would make for an interesting game though.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Captain Bellend, he's our hero
Gonna put a boot up someone's rear-o
He's our true selves emphasised
And he's fighting on the bellend side!

...What?

And Good God, I forgot how bad the shoehorned crap could be. I remember all the Sixxxxxxxaxxxxxis crap from early PS3 games before they started pulling their heads out of their asses.

Coolblue said:
And whether or not Yahtzee will acknowledge the fact that A Link Between Worlds is actually very good compared to garbage like Yoshi's Island, or when he decides to play Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze/Fire Emblem Awakening and have slightly more faith restored in Nintendo.
I don't know if you want what you think you want. Usually, when people say "Yahtzee! You should review this game, it's better than those other games you didn't like and surely you will like it," he ends up badgered into reviewing a game he wasn't big on and then "disses" it harder because he was badgered. And since the purpose of this approach appears to be the self-assurance that their shit don't stink, the response is never handled well.

I don't know if this is your case, but given you're wondering whether he'll acknowledge it as though it's some self-evident truth rather than an opinion about a toy, I do sort of wonder what exactly your motives are here.

Consider, also, he may have nothing more to say about Legend of Jessica ALBA.

I want a game where you can turn into Barney, then waterboard someone, 24-style.

Then again, that might be unfair. Barney's songs, unlike waterboarding, is actually considered torture and inhumane treatment by the US government.

Although I wear a lot of layers, so it might just be the terrorist in me talking.
What tune is that theme song supposed to be sung to? I like it.
The far greater crime is that Barney was allowed to be shown to SMALL CHILDREN. What monsters!
Now I'm curious how a game called Legend of Jessica Alba would play as?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Well then, dig this... Second Son doesn't just have the hamfisted gimmick implication, it actually starts off with it. The very first bit of gameplay it presents you with is an awkward motion controlled grafitti bit. That was already a really bad start.
Oi.

I probably shouldn't let something like that deter me, and it doesn't in itself. But it doesn't help.

I don't have a PS4 yet, but I am considering shelling out for one at some point. The problem is, in my excitement about PS+ games and discounts and how my PS3's HDD is always full, I forgot about those games I played back when the PS3 launched, and all the forced gimmicks.

And if it starts with one, that sets a bad tone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
What tune is that theme song supposed to be sung to? I like it.
The far greater crime is that Barney was allowed to be shown to SMALL CHILDREN. What monsters!
Now I'm curious how a game called Legend of Jessica Alba would play as?

For some reason, the concept of "Captain Bellend" put that in my head, so I just had to rush off a hasty parody.

I should have included a mini rap. >.>

Small children are resilient, though. Many actually seemed to enjoy Barney. It was the parents who never recovered.

I don't know how it would play, but I bet it would sell a lot.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oi.

I probably shouldn't let something like that deter me, and it doesn't in itself. But it doesn't help.

I don't have a PS4 yet, but I am considering shelling out for one at some point. The problem is, in my excitement about PS+ games and discounts and how my PS3's HDD is always full, I forgot about those games I played back when the PS3 launched, and all the forced gimmicks.

And if it starts with one, that sets a bad tone.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it stands Second Son is the worst example of it. It also has the annoying sound effects emmiting from your controller, that in other games you can just turn off, but for some reason here you can't.

I guess Sony figured this is their first big player on the PS4, so we'd probably accept it if they force feed the us all their new gizmos. Gotta get 'm used to it while they're young.

t850terminator

Nov 21, 2013
Liked the game alot,imo, better than 1, but I agree with Yahtzee... Infamous 2 was just stronger...
I liked the cast, but the story was kinda 'eh' while Infamous 2 made me tear up for both the evil and good ending...
Still fun though...

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Coolblue said:
Still wondering where that usual Nintendo based episode is.
Who cares?

Go watch some Nintendo-based video commentary if that's what you want. Yahtzee isn't obliged to cover what you want how you want.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
I really liked coles arc in the first infamous it was the first game where the evil karma story worked for me instead of just being about doing bad stuff for the sake of being bad it kind of all falls apart though when you can just alternate between good and evil constantly or farm experience by beating up a bunch of civilians and then healing them with electricity

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Mahoshonen said:
Wait, Austrailians actually drink Foster?
Yahtzee isn't Australian.

Mahoshonen said:
I thought that was the shitty knock-off beer then send everywhere else (like what Mexico does with Corona).
It's shitty, but I'm not sure what you mean by "knock off" - it was a locally-sold beer for a long time before it became an export-only product. It wasn't a knock-off of anything, it was just an ordinary Australian beer.

Wikipedia says that Foster's is the second-most popular beer in the UK, which may explain Yahtzee's depiction of it.