Zero Punctuation: inFAMOUS: Second Son - Bad Son Good Son

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I found this episode to be pretty damn funny. All the lines and the cartoons had me sniggering. Maybe I'm just in a good mood. For once.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Martin Drkos said:
Weren't two of those powers under NDA?
Huh?

Why would Yahtzee have signed an NDA? As far as I'm aware, he just plays the retail version like everybody else. And why would an NDA apply after a game's release, anyway?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Hmm.

inFAMOUS the first reminded me very much of Sucker Punch's Sly Cooper franchise, particularly in the animations during in-game cutscenes.

But it seems inFAMOUS has taken a few more pages from Sly.

The first game, while not perfect, was certainly enjoyable and had plenty of potential.
The second game is a direct sequel which blows the first out of the water, changes things up and is generally wonderful.
The third game is largely detached from the first two in narrative and, while not a bad game, just plain doesn't live up to its predecessor.

Perhaps Sucker Punch should stick to duologies.

Though of course there are some people out there who thought Sly 3 was the best one.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Hmm for some reason I thought it would Hearthstone this week, which would give an excuse to not bash on the PS4 itself. Granted I don't mind PS4/Xbox One/Wii U bashing if it's about their gimmicks rather than just them existing, and I guess that is valid (can anyone clarify whether it's as bad as it's made out to be in the game?).

Luckily for me I had an older sister so I clearly (shifty eyes) didn't have any hand-me-downs besides shoes. Editing was pretty good, especially the segment about the stereotypical nerd and many of the background jokes had me smiling.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Mahoshonen said:
Wait, Austrailians actually drink Foster?
Not sure but then again Pepsi has been used to represent drink in the past, and he's said that he hates Pepsi before.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Arslan Aladeen said:
I tried to ask this before, hopefully I can get some info on someone who's played this and InFamous 2 before. I liked having all the powers available to me in Infamous 2, ready to be switched to when I wanted and being able to mix and match the different power types. Second Sons seems like a step back to me having to completely switch out power types and I wanted to know if their is any benefit that I'm not seeing for them doing it this way.
There isn't.

Getting new powers feels like a chore now, because as soon as you get them you need to upgrade them from scratch. Even your energy bar. And you no longer have your energy sense that made you see electricity sources in the previous games. Now it's on the mini map, but unless it's Neon power it's hard to pin down where to get new juice. There's no height indicator for example. So if the mini map shows you there's a smoke source about 6 feet away from you horizontally, it might still be 100 feet vertically on top of a roof.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
The_Echo said:
Hmm.

inFAMOUS the first reminded me very much of Sucker Punch's Sly Cooper franchise, particularly in the animations during in-game cutscenes.

But it seems inFAMOUS has taken a few more pages from Sly.

The first game, while not perfect, was certainly enjoyable and had plenty of potential.
The second game is a direct sequel which blows the first out of the water, changes things up and is generally wonderful.
The third game is largely detached from the first two in narrative and, while not a bad game, just plain doesn't live up to its predecessor.

Perhaps Sucker Punch should stick to duologies.

Though of course there are some people out there who thought Sly 3 was the best one.
I'm going to be the weirdo and say I thought Second Son was the best in terms of gameplay. The story was lacking and straight up spat in the face of established lore from previous games, not to mention it was just so short and simple(seriously, only one villain and one group of bad guys? boring), but the variety of powers that you get to play around with is simply fun, not to mention flying through the skies with wings and running around enemies as a hot pink light is just too much fun. Not to mention, fucking He-Who-Dwells. The best fucking inFamous boss fight to date.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Arslan Aladeen said:
I tried to ask this before, hopefully I can get some info on someone who's played this and InFamous 2 before. I liked having all the powers available to me in Infamous 2, ready to be switched to when I wanted and being able to mix and match the different power types. Second Sons seems like a step back to me having to completely switch out power types and I wanted to know if their is any benefit that I'm not seeing for them doing it this way.
There isn't.

Getting new powers feels like a chore now, because as soon as you get them you need to upgrade them from scratch. Even your energy bar. And you no longer have your energy sense that made you see electricity sources in the previous games. Now it's on the mini map, but unless it's Neon power it's hard to pin down where to get new juice. There's no height indicator for example. So if the mini map shows you there's a smoke source about 6 feet away from you horizontally, it might still be 100 feet vertically on top of a roof.
Thanks for filling me in, though that's a bummer to hear. I'll probably buy and play this eventually, but I feel even less of a need to go next gen (or current gen) then I did before.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
the whole bit at the end where second son is made to look like a 90's hipster, it tottally reminded me of this

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
"Taken out behind the bins and shot"

I'm laughing so hard at that line I'm crying

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Coolblue said:
Still wondering where that usual Nintendo based episode is.

And whether or not Yahtzee will acknowledge the fact that A Link Between Worlds is actually very good compared to garbage like Yoshi's Island, or when he decides to play Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze/Fire Emblem Awakening and have slightly more faith restored in Nintendo.

Sadly I don't think that's going to come soon because he had to fucking diss ALBW and talk directly about Nintendo instead, instead of actually playing the game and giving it a fair review, though that's probably why he's waiting on another Nintendo episode 'cuz he doesn't want shit in his face about how good ALBW actually was despite the "nostalgia factor" which, by the way, actually made it good because it's still enjoyable and fun compared to god damn Yoshi's New Island.
You're mistaking subjective things as being objective and projecting stuff on Yahtzee, as well as outright saying that nostalgia "made it good".

pls stahp

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
I thought Yahtzee would compare him to Rogue from X-Men. I can't remember Heroes anymore :/

How is this gonna get uploaded to YouTube with that.. dildo?

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
shit like this game is why I pretty much went full pc consoles at this point are stupid gimmick machines now if you excuse me I am going to go back to headbutting people as a goat

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
nothing can stop the next gen train!

mostly because it already went off a cliff and now gravity is doing most of the job

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Mahoshonen said:
Wait, Austrailians actually drink Foster? I thought that was the shitty knock-off beer then send everywhere else (like what Mexico does with Corona).
It totally is, dude. Yahtzee is still British, you know.

Mar 26, 2008
Mahoshonen said:
Wait, Austrailians actually drink Foster? I thought that was the shitty knock-off beer then send everywhere else (like what Mexico does with Corona).
Real Australians don't let other Australians drink Fosters. I've had it once and I'd rather have the cat's piss that is XXXX. No wait, that's going too far.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
This was actually the first Infamous game I've played, (360 to the PS4), and I really enjoyed it. I went evil for my first playthrough and I freaking loved the spray paint sections. There was something satisfying in the feedback they gave you. This was the first game I've bought so far that validated my purchase of a PS4.
Casual Shinji said:
There isn't.

There is a height indicator in the game. It's not a very good one, but on the mini-map icon of your objective it will have a small up or down arrow in it. It's freaking impossible to see, so I'm not surprised you missed it.

SporkySpork

Feb 19, 2014
As usual, I disagree with Yahtzee.

Been a fan of inFAMOUS ever since it came out; it's a rough diamond, but certainly has a lot more soul in it than many AAA games. So while had flaws, they never detracted from the experience for me. I love Delsin and Reggie (and I wanted to love the criminally underdeveloped Eugene and Fetch) and found Augustine to be a really good "I HATE this person" villain. Gameplay was faster, powers were unique if not as fleshed out as electricity, and the recording/spray paint side missions never got old.

Also, apparently Jim Sterling and I are the only ones who like the morality system, since it's so much better than it was in the past games. I like that good and evil are more than just a meter, they're completely different play styles with completely different Delsins.

Still, hoping that the sequel actually lets us swim, develops the powers and characters more, makes getting around even faster, and makes the game longer.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Yep yep, at the end of the day "new gen" is just tech lingo for "expensive engines that can't handle large content anymore"