Zero Punctuation: Injustice 2

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Expecting unique intro animations for each character is expecting a bit too much I think. Especially when even character skins have 14 minutes worth of unique dialogue during those animations.

Anyway, call me when the Ultimate Edition is released. I think the game is actually quite good but the variety of characters would be the only thing I would be getting this game for, I hate fighting games.

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
And here I thought this week's critique would be for the new Friday The 13 game. Maybe it'll be here next week.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Ohh, do I get to be the guy who points out that the character Brainiac came first and it was then turned into an insulting term for nerds?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
SirSullymore said:
Ohh, do I get to be the guy who points out that the character Brainiac came first and it was then turned into an insulting term for nerds?
As popular/mandatory it is to rag on the DC movies here on the web, I'd like to see Brainiac in one of them.

They have Jeffery Combs voicing Brainiac, but not The Question? What the deuce? I liked Cory Burton's take from Timmverse; had a very HAL-9000 feel to it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Leonardo Huizar said:
Scarecrow was a neat addition. Hes like a dark edgy Dhaslim thats much easier to use
Also, he's a welcome mid-range fighter when everyone else seems to be either getting in your face or chucking lasers from across the screen.
I just wish they'd gotten a bit more creative with his fear gas perk. I was hoping it would serve as a buff for him, making him stronger, giving him new moves, or even making him a whole new character, since his power comes from people's distorted fear of him.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
The video is certainly on point in one term - Tower Mode. I can refer to a fact that I have this game for a week at least and was entirely convinced it's absent. Who designed this interface?

As for the game itself, I'm a bit disappointed. Story Mode is fine, I love the way Netherrealm does them, and this one is cool as well (even though after MK9, Injustice 1 and MKX the story pattern is really getting very easy to see), but everything else just doesn't click for me. Multiverse mode sounds fun on paper, but I struggled to finish even one full event. Too many bullshit objectives like "defeat 11 enemies as character you can't be bothered with" for my taste.

And the most confusing part... I can't find my main. Seriously, I tried every single fighter and none of them felt like "yep, I'm feeling this guy/gal", or even a character that has awesome enough mechanic/style to make learn all ins and outs. I have almost every single worthwhile fighting game from 2005 up until now in my library, and this is the first time something like happens. It's extremely frustrating, and it drains all my will to push through, especially with Tekken 7 and Guilty Gear XRD: Rev 2 around.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Am I misremembering or was this the first time in a long while that [neutral face photo]-man was used in Yahtzee's review?

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
SirSullymore said:
As popular/mandatory it is to rag on the DC movies here on the web, I'd like to see Brainiac in one of them.

They have Jeffery Combs voicing Brainiac, but not The Question? What the deuce? I liked Cory Burton's take from Timmverse; had a very HAL-9000 feel to it.
Oh my God, please say they got Jeff to record lines for Vic. I know Ed Boon was teasing a Watchmen character and that's starting to look like trolling, but Rorschach with a Question premier skin voiced by Jeffery Combs? A man can dream...

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Good to see the Hoff still representin' for realistic graphics after all these years. Is this only the second time?

And on the subject of callbacks, I'm glad Yahtzee actually admits he doesn't like fighting games now instead of pretending not to know how they work.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I figured the story would be lame. It looked to me like they were treading old water and while Injustice had a great story (and a really neat comic book series) but it's the sort of thing you can only do well once. But hey, at least it's actually got a story mode.

I like fighting games a lot myself, but only in the realm of my friends. We have a wide variety of players; none of us are amazing nor do any of us just button-mash. It's fun having people over to play video games and fighting games have just always been the easiest thing for us to gather around. But if I try setting foot online? Nope, it's definitely not fun anymore. I wholly admit, I just don't have the dedication to git that gud.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Darth_Payn said:
SirSullymore said:

I personally like all of DC's movies, never really cared about Injustice though as i'm not very good at fighting games, i'll just stick with watching the cutscenes on Youtube.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
But the crates are loot. Loooooooottttt!

Why yes kind sir, I would love to see you're Mask. Anything to keep Carrey away from a come-back.

Sep 24, 2008
Leonardo Huizar said:
Scarecrow was a neat addition. Hes like a dark edgy Dhaslim thats much easier to use
There's so much about Scarecrow I don't get.

Ok, Fear Toxin in the beginning. But then we forget that in the beginning that he's a scrawny doctor with no real fighting experience? There's a large number of Kryptonians and People who don't need to Breathe. Are you telling me hyper-paranoid alternative version Superman can't hear, see, or smell Crane coming a mile a way and just decide to hold his breath? Or Hyper-aware at all times Batman just takes out his Anti-Scarecrow rebreather? Or already had an immunity serum from the years of fighting him?

I'm not really asking for answer from you, Lenoardo. The Injustice world just really doesn't feel that well thought out, like many comic book fights between characters on Superman's level vs characters on Green Arrow's level. There's so many things about the Injustice universe that just bothers me. Like the Superpills Superman made to boost his foot-soldiers. Ok... that's nice. Hyper-paranoid Superman will make the formula significantly weaker than him. So take all you want, Superman will still have the literal strength to Punch you into the Moon where you'll die from your organs liquefying during the trip or... well, no air.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Leonardo Huizar said:
There's so much about Scarecrow I don't get.

Ok, Fear Toxin in the beginning. But then we forget that in the beginning that he's a scrawny doctor with no real fighting experience? There's a large number of Kryptonians and People who don't need to Breathe. Are you telling me hyper-paranoid alternative version Superman can't hear, see, or smell Crane coming a mile a way and just decide to hold his breath? Or Hyper-aware at all times Batman just takes out his Anti-Scarecrow rebreather? Or already had an immunity serum from the years of fighting him?

I'm not really asking for answer from you, Lenoardo. The Injustice world just really doesn't feel that well thought out, like many comic book fights between characters on Superman's level vs characters on Green Arrow's level. There's so many things about the Injustice universe that just bothers me. Like the Superpills Superman made to boost his foot-soldiers. Ok... that's nice. Hyper-paranoid Superman will make the formula significantly weaker than him. So take all you want, Superman will still have the literal strength to Punch you into the Moon where you'll die from your organs liquefying during the trip or... well, no air.
1: As I recall, the entire plot of the first game kicks off with Superman being under the influence of Joker's gas, causing him to rip Lois in half like a phonebook, which is why he in turn murders the crap out of Joker. So apparently Supes - while fully capable of being immune to gas-based attacks - prefers not to be.

2: Scarecrow is constantly tinkering with his fear toxin to make it more potent, controlling, and able to affect more and more people/races with each new batch.

3: If those two explanations aren't good enough for you, then you're thinking too much about it. The writers clearly didn't care enough to put that much thought into this story line, so neither should you. :^)

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
I'm way behind and still want to get the first game. On the fence about the second. But the "cloyingly stupid" face bit made me giggle like a stoned moron.