Zero Punctuation: Just Cause 2

Kitteh

Mar 31, 2010
lots of cat jokes, yahtzee (assuming i've earned the right to call you that) did you just get a cat and have now gone on a cat loving spree?

BoldBaldBastard

Aug 19, 2009
Didn't check the ZP show yesterday.. Today i logged onto steam and i actually look at the screenies and the game "Just Cause 2" in the steamstore.

And it really came over as an uninteresting silly game. Like.. are you a stuntman or a CIA dude?

Also Vista/W7 only gave it kind of away in it being nothing of interest. (Who with a sane mind would target such a small market slice?)

Seeing Yatzhee ripping it apart, i kinda feel like it was a too easy, too juicy of a target. I think the 'Just Cause' phun catch phrase is pretty spot on though.

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
Didn't like JC2 much. Combat and Driving was shit, the only decent thing was flying, but even that took ages to get around the map.

Ferret sausage though... that's an innuendo if I ever heard one.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
HairyHeretic88 said:
chenry said:
Am I the only one who noticed that Just Cause 2 is basically a terrorism simulator?........
my thoughts exactly! It seems like he NEVER just kills all the military occupying the area and captures the different pieces of infrastructure. In reality He is pretty much sending the whole country back to the stone age!
there isn't even a penalty for stomping civilians into the ground. At least in Crackdown, you get in shit for hurting the people you're supposed to be saving.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
As has been said 5 times or more already in this thread:
"That's right. The best way to survive smacking into concrete at terminal velocity....is to smack into it slightly faster. Maybe it's a homeopathic thing."
Absolute genius! Still chuckling after that one ... had to pause the video for quite a while there.

I have some horrible memories of homeopathic mosquito "medicine" from my childhood. Eating ground gnats and mosquitos is NOT the most rosy of my childhood memories....

Windowlicker

May 14, 2008
the game is fun as hell. PC looks 5 times better then the ps3 version however. Not to say that's not the case with all games but... just a mention

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Great as usual Yahtzee. It certainly looked like it would be about what you described. Nice to know that it's fun to play though, maybe a game to pick up when the price comes down.

HuCast

Aug 18, 2006
chenry said:
Am I the only one who noticed that Just Cause 2 is basically a terrorism simulator?

I mean, you play as a foreigner come to topple a government because you don't like them. That's it. And you do this by blowing up key government infrastructures, like pipelines, power plants, fuel depots, and nothing things. I mean, ok by the time you actually topple the government, you've reduced the entire island to a smoldering heap.

How exactly does this help the citizens? They're screwed now! They have no gas, no power, and no defenses.

Imagine if you were the other side of this game, your island be ravaged by a foreign "freedom fighter" who goes around and blows the shit out of everything.

But fuck all that 'cos JC2 is frikkin' AWESOME.

You forget one thing: the 7 Storyline missions you have to do to finish the game DONT force you to do all the destruction! You dont have to destroy all the gas tanks, pipelines and water supplies to finish the game. Thats the gamers choice. I spend most of my time in JC2 with paragliding and diving-veeery peaceful. Besides-Rico is payed by "the agency"-therefor he cant be a terrorist-he is a hero defending the evil forces ;)

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
What's going on? Three accurate AND funny reviews in a row, on games that matter no less? It looks like Yahtzee actually listened to the community to the extent that he's not reviewing games you can pick up in the bargain bin after the first week, and actually played them no less.

Entertaining.

Kudos.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
I'm mostly on par with Yahtzee on this one, though the biggest gripe I have is the voice acting. (Looking at you, Bolo.)

If I asked the makers why they didn't fire her on the first take, I know what they'd say.

"Why? Just cause!"

Thomas Brownback

Apr 23, 2010
While we're talking about magical patches for JC2:

1) Skippable cutscenes.

2) The ability to save for real.

3) There's a weird bug (in the demo at least) where changing the music volume doesn't carry over to the cutscenes, but changing the dialogue volume does. Drop both in settings, and every cutscene becomes a bunch of hard stares. This goes some way to fix the unskippability of the cutscenes and the terrible writing/acting. Maybe this bug should be left alone, considered a feature.

batosai33

Mar 18, 2009
usually you are much more harsh than i would be (which is why i watch) but this time i completely agreed with everything you said, i think you are going soft yatzee. or maybe i am getting more cynical... excuse me while i find a sharp object.