Zero Punctuation: Just Cause 2

Vladplaya

Apr 5, 2010
Bad Company 2 is not even close to been realistic, and ironically it also has unlimited number of parachutes, he would know that if he would have at least tried the multiplayer.

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
Good review as always. I love manipulating the gravity-hook and the ridiculous physics defying feats it pulls off. I wish there were more opportunity to be towed behind a vehicle in your parachute, and they missed a real opportunity in that you can tie one end of the hook shot to one building and the other end to a building on the opposite end of the street, but vehicles pass harmlessly through it. It can do some ridiculous things though, most of which I think are based on the developers making a physics engine and stopping before the last part, which entails putting the realistic limits on what you can do. In case any of you haven't tried it yet, I recommend riding the back of a civilian car (which will obligingly speed up and only when they run out of road will they get out and run on foot) shooting a cop, and then tethering the pursuing jeeps to the ground. I never get tired of this, it works on the motorcycles and their riders too. The best part is, I keep having ideas for this one mechanic, because it is so simple but there is so much to do with it. Just now, while typing about the cars, I thought, "Why didn't I try that on the helicopters too? Or why didn't I tie them TO the jeeps?" It's a pity I only rented this and that the semester is ending, guess I'll have to wait until mid-may to find out if these ideas work. I know for a fact that chaining a soldier to a propane tank and then setting the propane tank flying works, and never gets old. Also, during an early mission where you are pursued by jeeps while riding the back of a car driven by a contact, you pass over the large bridge in that section, I found out there that while tying jeeps to the ground slows them and sometimes flips them over, tying a jeep to the outside guardrail of a bridge uses its own momentum to...well I'll let all of you see that one for yourselves. Needless to say, it is efficient and hilarious.

Yahtzee was lucky, it appears, or has decided not to mention... No I change my mind, if he HAD encountered the horrible game-crippling glitch I think he would have mentioned it. Potential buyers of this game beware, though the game itself is fun, there is a risk that you will have to start the game over again due to programming error. Near the beginning of the game, there is a conversation while roaming the open world that begins with something similar to Rico saying: "Time to meet the factions on Panau..." followed by another character explaining the 3 main factions and what their problem is (aside from being named "The Oooooouular boys" that is, no it isn't spelled that way, but that's how everyone says it.) Sometimes, when reloading a game after dying in the open world, this dialogue will restart, even if you are past that point in the game. This in turn re-triggers the appearance of the three faction hideouts on your HUD, and through some bizarre abomination of programming, this causes everything at those locations to disappear, all the soldiers, vehicles, weapons and, most importantly, the button that lets you speak to the faction leader. This means that if you were in the middle of running errands for the Ular Boys and die in a way that triggers this glitch, you cannot speak to the leader of the Reapers if you hadn't already. Even if you have already talked to all the faction leaders, this glitch is annoying in that you cannot toggle the markers indicating the hideouts on you HUD off without also turning off those that indicate mission objectives, so "Ular Boys HQ" and the other 2 will appear next to the logo in that direction for the rest of the game. There is apparently no way to fix this for that save, as it is saved when you save the game, so saving and reloading doesn't help. But what's worse, if you try to load a save from before the glitch happened before restarting your system, then that save becomes corrupted with the same glitch. Doing missions doesn't help either, as one person I know of had this glitch and attempted to get it to reset by completing the faction and agency missions, hoping that the "New missions unlocked" sequence would fix it, to no avail. The only ways to fix this that I have seen are to either a)restart your game, an idea whose appeal likely depends on your progress so far, or b)keep several saves from the same game, and if you activate the glitch, turn your system off and reload the save before the glitch happened, not the auto save. The latter also appears not to trigger the glitch at all if you load the manual save instead of the auto-save when you die. And since the game doesn't give true checkpoints in some cases anyways, loading a manual save from the beginning of the mission isn't all that bad.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt people should know about this. I'm surprised it hasn't been patched yet, but on the other hand, the developer who allowed such an enormous mistake through testing in the first place probably hasn't even checked yet.

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
Hubilub said:
duchaked said:
so saints row 2 except bigger and badder?

...man i need to get this game hahaha
Not really, Saint's Row 2 has infinitely more charm
I agree, this is more like Mercenaries 2, except the grapple hook is infinitely more useful, not all buildings are destructible, and the protagonist's incidental dialogue is more amusing in that instead of the same 10 lines, he will be thrown from an exploding helicopter, fail a parachute landing, roll over 200 times while sliding down the side of a mountain, get up and say one of 3 lines, all of which are something along the lines of "Ouch, that was too close." Which I find much more amusing because he is not trying to prove his macho-ness, like Mattias, but is merely programmed with so few reactions to pain that anything more than a bullet graze will receive a disproportionately calm reaction, delivered with no sarcasm. Apparently the developers lost the file with the sounds for "Horrible laceration, burning and bone fractures on 90% of body" right before it was time to make the first disc, luckily for us that's not so bad.

Oh yes, and you don't use airstrikes, you hijack a jet or helicopter and surf it like Yahtzee said, thus making you the airstrike, and as planes and helicopters are steerable, the airstrikes are more accurate than some of those in Mercenaries 2.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Hubilub said:
duchaked said:
so saints row 2 except bigger and badder?

...man i need to get this game hahaha
Not really, Saint's Row 2 has infinitely more charm
haha I'm playing it right now
can't stop collecting sports cars...

but I'm always running out of ammo

fyrsten

Aug 19, 2009
Surprised he didn't comment on the horrible vihicle section.

Great game though for blowing some hours, not good if you intend to play through it in one go

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I watched the IGN review before this one, and I gotta say.

They were nearly exactly the same review.

Chris8016

Jan 20, 2010
First one in a while I've actually been in hysterics with. Love that he pointed out the fact that grappling the ground below you prevents you from getting fall damage. Laughed quite a bit when I noticed that for myself to begin with anyway.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Really liked this review and it was surprisingly more like a "real" review (don't know how else to put it) than previous shows.

Side note: I really like this game it's just so much fun.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
Haven't laughed that hard in a while. I might rent this game just to do half the crap you said.

Thelonesun

Mar 14, 2010
I love this line:
"Some say that's enough. Some say I'm too hard to please. But some can shut their fucking mouths."