Zero Punctuation: Kingdom Come Deliverance

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Has Yahtzee ever really acknowledged the "PC Master Race" meme before this? I think he has, but I can't remember.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Duke Amiel Du H'ardcore has some ripe content for Commentocracy it would seem.

The alpha male bullshit kinda put me off this game, but it's nice to know there are more reasons to ignore it.

chaosd1

Jul 16, 2008
Aeshi said:
Has Yahtzee ever really acknowledged the "PC Master Race" meme before this? I think he has, but I can't remember.
Acknowledge the meme? I'm pretty sure he's the reason it IS a meme.

Catasros

Dec 9, 2013
Aeshi said:
Kind of, there was one review, don't remember wich but I think the context was god-awful PC port, where it was mentioned where the master race man was, like here, overweight, glasses and bad sunburn, but as far as I know he's never acknowledged it as his creation on ZP, only in the passing a couple of times when he and Gabriel did Let's Drown Out on his youtube channel

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Given the general attitude of the "Master Race" Dick Slurp All-Stars would be a much more appropriate name.
Also thank you for finally acknowledging your role in that particular atrocity.

Also I'd like to point out that realism in video games, at least in terms of mechanics, is generally NOT FUN.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Limited save system? Christ that sounds terrible, I thought that outdated mechanic died after it's overdone use in survival horror games like Obscure, Silent Hill and Resident Evil. I was previously put off this game by the developer making some bigoted and ignorant statements(he's a bit of a GG supporter so I suppose that comes with the territory) but it's good to know I have a real legit reason to not play this game besides "the developers is kind of a dickhead"(that's why I never tried Fez, well that and I suck at puzzles games)

P.S. nice jab at the PS4's lack of backwards compatability, that's one of many things that will eventually bite Sony in the ass(along with stupidly refusing to allow crossplay with PC and Xbox on multiplatform games, being needlessly restrictive with mods, not allowing popular games like PUBG on PSN but being more then happy to allow hot garbage like Life of Black Tiger and Inner Kung Fu on there and also actively promoting them on it's own Youtube channel).

Mar 19, 2010
I really do enjoy this game despite the combat and the save system. You can mod the save system out of the game and the awful combat system is not an issue or rather has not been an issue for me because i look at my oponent and if i am attacked by some bandit in rags he will not be a problem but if i see armoured knight who is probably highly trained i perform a tactical retreat. The boss fight situation seems a bit concerning but how hard can it be really?
Dan Vavra is a bit controversial to some people but considering he is czech some of his opinions are to be expected he is probably much more sensible than people i go to work with every day you definitely would not like what they have to say about pretty much everything. Anyway all I know is Vavra once wrote a great article about why Fallout 3 is shit so when it comes to games he is all right.

I forgot to add the Archery is designed as a big FU to players. There is cross hair dot on the screen entire time but when you pull out the bow it disappears and you have to guess what you aiming at and your aim swings like you just drank bottle of hard liquor on empty stomach it is absolutely useless.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Limited saves? Are you shitting me?! I thought we all agreed that was terrible 3 console generations ago!
chaosd1 said:
Aeshi said:
Acknowledge the meme? I'm pretty sure he's the reason it IS a meme.
Yep, I'm positive he came up with it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the day, even before he got the current theme song. Along with "dirty console peasants".
Canadamus Prime said:
Given the general attitude of the "Master Race" Dick Slurp All-Stars would be a much more appropriate name.
Also thank you for finally acknowledging your role in that particular atrocity.

Also I'd like to point out that realism in video games, at least in terms of mechanics, is generally NOT FUN.
Yeah, FUCK realism! That's what we're trying to escape when we play video games!

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Undomesticated Equine said:
I really do enjoy this game despite the combat and the save system. You can mod the save system out of the game and the awful combat system is not an issue or rather has not been an issue for me because i look at my oponent and if i am attacked by some bandit in rags he will not be a problem but if i see armoured knight who is probably highly trained i perform a tactical retreat. The boss fight situation seems a bit concerning but how hard can it be really?
Dan Vavra is a bit controversial to some people but considering he is czech some of his opinions are to be expected he is probably much more sensible than people i go to work with every day you definitely would not like what they have to say about pretty much everything. Anyway all I know is Vavra once wrote a great article about why Fallout 3 is shit so when it comes to games he is all right.

I forgot to add the Archery is designed as a big FU to players. There is cross hair dot on the screen entire time but when you pull out the bow it disappears and you have to guess what you aiming at and your aim swings like you just drank bottle of hard liquor on empty stomach it is absolutely useless.
Fallout 3 is awesome, now I know Vavra is full of shit and not worth listening to. Don't see anything sensible about whining about "SJWs", that's been done to death and is a great way to make people disregard every single thing you say.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Aeshi said:
It was in his column. Some people had, I guess, been getting on his case about it being problematic because Nazis and all, and he pointed out that he'd meant it as more of a takedown of the "PC games are for smart people" attitude that was prevalent even way back then. He then went on to say he was totally on board with people using it sincerely now because it was pissing off the sort of people who call things "problematic".

Jan 27, 2011
I feakin' lost it at the "Zoot suit" bit. Seeing his head on a guy in a goofy suit with crossed arms like he's irritated at something REALLY worked at a gag. XD

Also, man...So many of those mechanics sound terrible.

I mean, first you have the limited save system. In an RPG. That's just an inconceivably bad idea on its face.

Then you have combat being so clunky as to scare people off, but not having any good counter-options like arrows or magic or whatever.

THEN, having a battle where you have to rely on a bunch of allies instead, and they're stupid...

THEN, force the player into an arena boss fight when they might not be built for that and treating it as a full blown game over if you fuck up that fight because you didn't spec for direct melee combat.

All put together into one moment? Yeah, no wonder Yatzee rage-quit. That's just an unbelievably bad game design smoothie. :(

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
The first reference I'm aware of to the "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" is in his review for The Witcher back in 2008: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher (seek to about 0:53 in. And yes, he has been doing this for over ten years.)

What quickly becomes obvious is that Witcher is very much a PC-exclusive game, which are typically designed to be as complex and unintuitive as possible so that those Dirty Console-Playing Peasants don't ruin it for the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.

The first warning sign is that the manual is thick enough to beat goats to death with, and then, once you get into the game, the interface is just a few steps shy of Microsoft Access in terms of friendliness. [ ... ]

Zaper

Feb 28, 2018
This really reminds me of the demon souls review as in he went into the game with the wrong mindset missing some crucial mechanics sucked and rage quit be honest did you skip the tutorial ? you are correct about the camera swinging that's why you can lock on to enemies by pressing tab you are correct about you being slow and clunky at combat that is probably becasue you ran straight ahead not realizing you are a fucking blacksmith's boy you are shit at combat if you want to git gud you need to go to captain bernard in rattay and train your ass off did you even know about things like combos and master strikes ? you need to replay this game in a diffrent mindset

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, the PC elitists never gave up the master race title you bequeathed them. Only fitting we get to tag the new Yahtzee honors onto them now as a matter of course.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Oh shit.

It's especially surprising too considering I heard nothing but praise for this game. The two big complaints though seem pretty fair and I'm probably not gonna get it anymore. Limited save system? Wow. And I thought we solved this melee idiocy with the classic Jedi Knight directional-keys-control-swings style. It was a really elegant solution.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Well this vid has confirmed two things I've long suspected-

1. The melee combat is awful, because it's in 1st person. From the first dev interview that revealed a forced 1st person perspective I worried it would suck to do melee combat, and here we are. Determined to wait for a 3rd person mod now.

2. I guess Yahtzee really has never experienced Mount and Blade Warband, which has all the good bits of Deliverance and none of the pratfalls listed here. Oh and it also has a 3rd person option in addition to 1st.