Zero Punctuation: Lego City Undercover

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
Still, what has this got to do with the fucking game except it being an exclusive? It's like a review of Gears of War starting off with "HAHA RED RING OF DEATH! SO MANY ADS MICROSOFT U SUCK LOL!!!!"
Red rings were a hardware flaw and the ads were reasonably easy to ignore, Nintendo on the other hand has seen fit to base their last two consoles entirely around gimmicks that some feel range from useless to outright crippling, it kinda makes the console part of the gameplay discussion.

Am I allowed to call them fat neckbeard losers now?
Sure if you want, 0 points for creativity though, you need to come up with more witty wording.

"But they mad bro!" is not a good argument.
It wasn't really even an argument, I just find mad fanboys on forums and mad bads in LoL to be some of the more consistent sources of amusement, and Yahtzee helps with that seeing as both of the above become even more funny when provoked and if there is one thing he is indisputably good at, its provoking fanboys.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
major_chaos said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Still, what has this got to do with the fucking game except it being an exclusive? It's like a review of Gears of War starting off with "HAHA RED RING OF DEATH! SO MANY ADS MICROSOFT U SUCK LOL!!!!"
Red rings were a hardware flaw and the ads were reasonably easy to ignore, Nintendo on the other hand has seen fit to base their last two consoles entirely around gimmicks that some feel range from useless to outright crippling, it kinda makes the console part of the gameplay discussion.

Am I allowed to call them fat neckbeard losers now?
Sure if you want, 0 points for creativity though, you need to come up with more witty wording.

"But they mad bro!" is not a good argument.
It wasn't really even an argument, I just find mad fanboys on forums and mad bads in LoL to be some of the more consistent sources of amusement, and Yahtzee helps with that seeing as both of the above become even more funny when provoked and if there is one thing he is indisputably good at, its provoking fanboys.
Last 3, if you include the 3DS and it's fat brother, the 3DS XL.

It's not even provoking fanboys though, because everything he's said about Nintendo for the last few months has been true.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
I wasn't denying that handhelds were facing stiff competition from mobile devices. I made it clear that I agreed with you on that point. I feel like you read the first two sentences then decided to respond.
Lol, 3DS has one good title on it that isn't a port of something they've made previously. As a new console, it's an abject failure.
This was what I was disagreeing with. It was a completely subjective point and I was saying that your opinion of a console didn't make it a non success. It just meant that you didn't perceive it as a success. You're really misrepresenting me by only including one fraction of my post. The 3DS isn't rocking the globe quite as well as the DS and mobile devices are part of the issue. But it is by no means a failure. Sales have really begun picking up recently. Especially in Japan.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Last 3, if you include the 3DS
I don't. While the 3d is a godawful execution of a good idea, its entirely visual not a gameplay gimmick so it isn't crippling. While the library is no where near the awesome one the original DS built up, but it finally has enough titles to justify a purchase from me. (used mind you, I'm still bitter Nintendo)

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
major_chaos said:
ResonanceSD said:
Last 3, if you include the 3DS
I don't. While the 3d is a godawful execution of a good idea, its entirely visual not a gameplay gimmick so it isn't crippling. While the library is no where near the awesome one the original DS built up, but it finally has enough titles to justify a purchase from me. (used mind you, I'm still bitter Nintendo)

Christ, do you want to buy mine? I was considering waiting for Fire emblem, but I don't want to give these clowns any more money.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
Sooo... are you gonna back up your hate-filled points? Or are you just going to keep treating your opinion as fact while dismissing logical arguments? Try all you might, but you don't get the final say in what games or consoles are "good" or "bad", especially without giving a reason.

OT: Aside from the expected Nintendo hate, this episode was kinda funny. I found Lego City hilarious and a joy to play through, so I recommend it to anyone who has a WiiU.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Madmanonfire said:
ResonanceSD said:
Sooo... are you gonna back up your hate-filled points? Or are you just going to keep treating your opinion as fact while dismissing logical arguments? Try all you might, but you don't get the final say in what games or consoles are "good" or "bad", especially without giving a reason.

OT: Aside from the expected Nintendo hate, this episode was kinda funny. I found Lego City hilarious and a joy to play through, so I recommend it to anyone who has a WiiU.
I'll just skip a step and quote myself to save time.

ResonanceSD said:
Nah, not just me.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/21/4012812/mobile-games-beat-handheld-games-in-consumer-spending-last-quarter

Mobile games beat handheld games in consumer spending last quarter

"The concept that Android and iOS smartphones and tablets would make a major dent in the portable gaming market is nothing new. Last year's PlayStation Vita launch sparked a debate on whether dedicated portable gaming devices have much of a future, and Nintendo had to dramatically cut the price of the 3DS the year before thanks to lower than expected sales. Now, some new data from research firms IDC and App Annie further reinforces the tough position Nintendo and Sony find themselves in ? consumer spending on gaming apps in Apple's App Store and on Google Play eclipsed spending on dedicated portable console games from Nintendo and Sony in the fourth quarter of last year. More specifically, spending on dedicated portable console games was highly seasonal ? 60 percent of Q4 spending took place in December, likely as consumer picked up games for Christmas presents. iOS and Android game spending, on the other hand, was more evenly distributed."

There you go mate, it's now been sourced to someone else too.

Nice avatar. Back when 3rd party developers actually made new stuff for Nintendo. Tell me, where did Rareware go?

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
RTR said:
That still doesn't change the fact that videogames started out as toys and have always been toys.
Yes, they're a great medium for creating experiences for the user and yes, games have been getting more complex and also geared to a more adult audience (as of late), but I think it's very miopic for gamers to stick up their noses and claim that videogames are art and should be taken seriously all the time without acknowledging that they're talking about what are essentially playthings.

I mean, if you were to say something like "I'm going to experience a game", you're going to sound like a pretentious asshat.
Again, a game does not fall under the category of a toy. That goes for any kind of game, not just video games. A toy is something you make your own entertainment with, whereas a game provides a set of rules or mechanics that the player adheres to. None of this is a scoffing dismissal of toys, by the way; I said that video games are "their own art form" because, given that art is something created for the purpose of provoking an emotional response, toys are artistic works as well. But games, video- and otherwise, are simply not toys and never have been.

Moreover, I do play video games for the experiences they provide. I wouldn't use "experience" as the verb with which I describe that action, but I also wouldn't say "I'm going to experience a film," even though that would be completely accurate. A lot of people think that video games need to be fun, and they're completely wrong, just as they would be wrong to say that watching a movie has to be fun and therefore something like Requiem for a Dream is a terrible movie for that sole reason. What a game, film, or any other piece of art needs to be is engaging. Fun just happens to be the way with which the overwhelming majority of games go about it. But there's very little fun to be found in, for example, Spec Ops: The Line, and that very fact is precisely why that game has received the praise and attention it has. For that matter, the entire survival horror genre is built upon being actively unpleasant for the player.

We're well past the point where the chief reason for playing a video game is to win it. We pick up a game to live it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Christ, do you want to buy mine? I was considering waiting for Fire emblem, but I don't want to give these clowns any more money.
A bit late I already picked up one of these puppies ( http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/3ds-system-black-gold-recharged-refurbished/107542 ) locally for less than the price listed there.

Nice avatar. Back when 3rd party developers actually made new stuff for Nintendo. Tell me, where did Rareware go?
Last I saw they periodicity turn out awful games on the 360 because IIRC they are owned by Microsoft, and for as much as I dislike Nintendo anymore I don't see how that is their fault.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Bio shock had some interesting discussion points but I'm hardly feeling the rest of my games are dulled in comparison.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
The Wii U's "gimmick" can also be ignored by developers, since the button setup is identical to your average controller. Ignored, used minimally, whatever.

And honestly, it probably should be ignored if a company doesn' feel tey can use it to its potential. Not every game can be a TWEWY or Okami in terms of alternate controller use, and not every developer is equipped to make use of it. So those guys can just make whatever games they normally would, using the pro controller, and/or slap in the off-screen play option somewhere.

Eh, maybe I'm biased. I mean, I already feel like I got my money's worth with the 3DS, and will coninue to, and I already have plans for Wii U games whenever I get one. Also, I don't see how the Wii U's tablet is much different in execution from the DS's second screen.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
ccggenius12 said:
ResonanceSD said:
Lol, 3DS has one good title on it that isn't a port of something they've made previously. As a new console, it's an abject failure.
Are you lumping in sequels with ports? Because off hand, it has Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm, Kingdom hearts 3d, and *obligatory Mario game*. There's also more JRPG's than you can shake a stick at. Granted if that's not your style the device is kind of barren, but your preferences aren't Nintendo's fault.

Also, just gonna throw out that Shovel Knight is going to be available in the e-store, so... portable version is best version?
and out of that laundry list, FE: A is the only decent title there.
And your source is?
Metacritic scores for the above games, in order
82, 91, 86, 78, 75, 90. If 91/100 is your definition of "decent", then I believe we can all safely ignore your opinions on this subject going forward.

RoyalSorceress

Jun 15, 2010
duchaked said:
lol I don't go to the gym anymore for the same reason, Yahtzee

LEGO LotR had voice acting in it, but I personally felt it got away with it cuz I love the films but still.
LEGO Batman 2 also had voice acting and an original story. Man, that game was awesome.

Do you think Luigi's Mansion 2 is going to be his next review, since he mentioned that he was playing it.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Enlong said:
The Wii U's "gimmick" can also be ignored by developers, since the button setup is identical to your average controller. Ignored, used minimally, whatever.

And honestly, it probably should be ignored if a company doesn' feel tey can use it to its potential. Not every game can be a TWEWY or Okami in terms of alternate controller use, and not every developer is equipped to make use of it. So those guys can just make whatever games they normally would, using the pro controller, and/or slap in the off-screen play option somewhere.
The problem is how underpowered the Wii U is compared to the Playstation 4 and, presumably, the next Xbox. There are plenty of Xbox 360 and PS3 games that could have worked just fine as Wii ports, but the overwhelming majority of developers couldn't be bothered to downgrade their games' graphics and other hardware strains to the point that the Wii could run them - especially when their core audience was already playing their games on the competing consoles (the radical difference in its control input didn't help either, of course, but as you point out, the Wii U thankfully doesn't share this issue). I'd happily consider buying a Wii U if it offered the same variety of game selection that its competitors will (the obsolete graphics don't concern me much) in addition to a collection of exclusive titles that could only ever be developed for the Wii U thanks to the uniqueness of its controller (to say nothing of first-party Nintendo games), but as Yahtzee mentioned, that's not what's happening, and I can't see the Wii U's situation getting much better after Sony and Microsoft's consoles come out and render it obsolete altogether.

(Although there does exist a possible saving grace: the graphical plateau. As has been the trend since basically forever, the next console generation's graphical improvement is quite a bit less than the improvement that came before it. So perhaps, if the graphical gap turns out to be small enough, the Wii U may not suffer the same fate as its predecessor after all.)

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
GodzillaGuy92 said:
RTR said:
That still doesn't change the fact that videogames started out as toys and have always been toys.
Yes, they're a great medium for creating experiences for the user and yes, games have been getting more complex and also geared to a more adult audience (as of late), but I think it's very miopic for gamers to stick up their noses and claim that videogames are art and should be taken seriously all the time without acknowledging that they're talking about what are essentially playthings.

I mean, if you were to say something like "I'm going to experience a game", you're going to sound like a pretentious asshat.
Again, a game does not fall under the category of a toy. That goes for any kind of game, not just video games. A toy is something you make your own entertainment with, whereas a game provides a set of rules or mechanics that the player adheres to. None of this is a scoffing dismissal of toys, by the way; I said that video games are "their own art form" because, given that art is something created for the purpose of provoking an emotional response, toys are artistic works as well. But games, video- and otherwise, are simply not toys and never have been.

Moreover, I do play video games for the experiences they provide. I wouldn't use "experience" as the verb with which I describe that action, but I also wouldn't say "I'm going to experience a film," even though that would be completely accurate. A lot of people think that video games need to be fun, and they're completely wrong, just as they would be wrong to say that watching a movie has to be fun and therefore something like Requiem for a Dream is a terrible movie for that sole reason. What a game, film, or any other piece of art needs to be is engaging. Fun just happens to be the way with which the overwhelming majority of games go about it. But there's very little fun to be found in, for example, Spec Ops: The Line, and that very fact is precisely why that game has received the praise and attention it has. For that matter, the entire survival horror genre is built upon being actively unpleasant for the player.

We're well past the point where the chief reason for playing a video game is to win it. We pick up a game to live it.

My point is that not every video game is, for example, Spec Ops. I was originally going to bring up the fact that there is a significant amount of children who play videogames, which gets constantly ignored by the industry as a whole, given how today the most marketed, high profile games are for older audiences, a stark difference to the 80's-early 2000's era of gaming that could appeal to multiple audiences, not just 20 something adult males. If the industry continues this way, there will come a time where this demographic will not be able to sustain it. One way or another, these people may not keep playing as much as they do now because real life will get in the way. And many of those other people who were alienated before won't be so eager to jump in just like that. The effect of this may not be felt now, but at the course we're going, the long run will be painful for the industry.

At the end of the day, both Spec Ops and, for another example, Angry Birds, are videogames. One is about a self-commentary on the narrative fixations of military FPSs and the role the player has in them. The other is a game about firing birds from a slingshot. They are vastly different experiences that both serve different purposes,one vastly more shallow than the other, but stripped down to their bare essentials, they're still videogames and their purpose is to entertain, and only one of them is determined For all we know, Angry Birds, and the mobile gaming revolution in general, might serve as a platform for younger generations to get into videogames when they otherwise would've not. Some of these children might grow up withholding these games as THE toys of their childhood, for good or ill.

Which is exactly why it rubs me the wrong way when Yahtzee wisecrasks at the idea of videogames being toys, as if associating videogames with toys would automatically make games seem childish(more so). It sounds incredibly shortsighted and possibly a bit snobbish. It's exactly the sort of thing that can make videogames as a whole grow old instead of grow up. Detaching the entire medium from its roots could make videogames lose their appeal to many people, myself included. I believe it's an important element of a person's maturity to accept certain things, particularly things that might seem childish or immature for an adult to even consider, for what they are as opposed to outright rejecting them in a manner befitting a "brooding" teenager. The idea of having videogames doing that as a rule, to think of its own medium as art first and entertainment second, is absurd to me and could probably make me abandon videogames altogether. Now obviously, the best case scenario is a game that can do both well.
Going back to Spec Ops, it's mediorce at best, a run-of-the-mill shooter, as an actual game but transcendant as an interactive experience (it was you, the player, who made the call to shoot the white phosphorus that killed all those civilians). Now, take for example Bioshock Infinite. On the one hand, it's a profound story of a man haunted by the sins of his past as they lead him down the road to self destruction. On the other hand, I can zip around the city on a rail as I dangle on it with a magnetic hook, I can drink potions that give me superpowers, and I can shoot down a minigun-weilding robot George Washington. This is the kind of exhilaration in games that I don't think can be achieved if one doesn't approach the development of a game while thinking "Will the player enjoy this?"

I play videogames because they let me feel like I can do things I know I can't experience in the real world. Playing a good game to me is one that evokes a sense of wonder and escapism from the mundane into the exciting, which is honestly not all that different if I were to amuse myself any other way in between responsibilities and other priorites.
Unless you're the kind of person for whom videogames are a way of life (i.e. videogames are your job) then yes, a videogame is not a toy. That doesn't mean one can ignore the fact that for a far larger amount of people, they serve to amuse them, preferably in between responsibilities and the priorities of their daily lives, much like a toy would do.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
RTR said:
Detaching the entire medium from its roots could make videogames lose their appeal to many people, myself included. I believe it's an important element of a person's maturity to accept certain things, particularly things that might seem childish or immature for an adult to even consider, for what they are as opposed to outright rejecting them in a manner befitting a "brooding" teenager.
On this, we're in full agreement. In case I wasn't being clear before, I don't object to the concept that video games are toys because of some idea that toys are innately childish. I object merely because they're different, in the same way I'd object to the claim that video games are a type of movie.

RTR said:
The idea of having videogames doing that as a rule, to think of its own medium as art first and entertainment second, is absurd to me and could probably make me abandon videogames altogether. Now obviously, the best case scenario is a game that can do both well.
But art, being designed to provoke an emotional response, is inherently entertaining. If a video game puts a great amount of effort into being a work of art and succeeds, its entertainment value will automatically follow. So it's foolish for a work in an artistic medium not to make the attempt to be artistic.

"Entertainment," by the way, does not mean that having fun is essential to the experience. Books and films are entertainment as much as video games are, but you don't read 1984 if you're looking for a pleasant time. Nor does artistic merit somehow preclude children from being participants: One need look no further than Pixar to see that (or for that matter, Disney in general). And because art aims to evoke emotion, something that succeeds in being very fun is thus a very successful work of art. There wasn't that much to the original Super Mario Bros. apart from being fun, but that was a landmark artistic work, and tremendously important to the medium as a whole. I would consider Painkiller to be a far superior piece of art to Haze, in spite of the former offering nothing but simple, straightforward fun while the latter was a deconstruction of militaristic shooters, blind patriotism/allegiance, the glory of armed conflict, etc. Painkiller succeeded wildly in what it was trying to do, but Haze's lofty aspirations are worthless because it failed to meet them - just as a game that tried and failed to be enjoyable would be a failure. I don't want the games that are fun and nothing else to go away, because then I'd miss out on some fantastic games. But if we're so concerned with fun that we choose to write off games that aren't meant to be fun regardless of what else they might have to offer, we'll miss out on some equally fantastic games.

RTR said:
Now, take for example Bioshock Infinite. On the one hand, it's a profound story of a man haunted by the sins of his past as they lead him down the road to self destruction. On the other hand, I can zip around the city on a rail as I dangle on it with a magnetic hook, I can drink potions that give me superpowers, and I can shoot down a minigun-weilding robot George Washington. This is the kind of exhilaration in games that I don't think can be achieved if one doesn't approach the development of a game while thinking "Will the player enjoy this?"
Certainly it can. Instead of thinking, "Will the player enjoy this?", it could (and should) instead be thinking, "Will the player be engaged by this?" Enjoyment is merely one out of many different types of engagement, and video games aren't doing themselves any favors by limiting themselves to a single form of engagement. Again, that's not to say that BioShock Infinite is a weaker or less valid game for being so much fun - far from it - or that it "should" be engaging in a different way. But the same thing would hold true if it hypothetically did choose to engage in a different way, and any cries that it "should" instead be fun would be just as invalid.

RTR said:
I play videogames because they let me feel like I can do things I know I can't experience in the real world. Playing a good game to me is one that evokes a sense of wonder and escapism from the mundane into the exciting, which is honestly not all that different if I were to amuse myself any other way in between responsibilities and other priorites.
Unless you're the kind of person for whom videogames are a way of life (i.e. videogames are your job) then yes, a videogame is not a toy. That doesn't mean one can ignore the fact that for a far larger amount of people, they serve to amuse them, preferably in between responsibilities and the priorities of their daily lives, much like a toy would do.
Quite right. But games don't need to cripple themselves out of the gate in order to fill that role. Just as it's perfectly valid to criticize a game that concerns itself with being like a film before fulfilling its function as a game, a game shouldn't try to make itself like a toy before it tries to make itself a game. There's nothing wrong with films or toys, just as there's nothing wrong with ranch dressing, but just because that's true doesn't mean it's advisable to put ranch dressing on an ice cream sundae.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
OT: I've tried playing the Lego games like this one. They're alright but demand you to collect things all the time.
I especially dislike the puzzles, even adults or my friends around my age struggled to figure them out so how are kids going to even get the slightest clue as to progressing? All well. Still great review.

Also .. you're having a new show with Jim? Whow. Didn't see that coming!
Perhaps I'm being selectively critical here, but...

Right, so LEGO Underwear (now that I mention it, Yahtzee didn't twist the game's name!) managed to pad itself out somewhat by forcing you to collect things, AND made you wait to unlock some game mechanics in order to access some of the collectables. Everybody with me there?

Batman: Arkham Asylum did that too. The collectables in BAA weren't really mandatory, but enough collectables or exploration whatevers could tweak your score just enough to get you more health and unlock some Bat-toys. So when *I* am playing Batman AA, they are reasonably mandatory, and that was one of several things that I didn't like about Bleat. Yet Yahtzee positively adored sheep (BAA). [I'm guessing that this is also why he gave positive reviews of CoD4 and GoW2; there was enough fun bits in one part of the game that drowned out other bits that were trying to flag down Critic-Yahtzee.] I found it particularly galling that one of the neat toys that you need to access things was in the trunk of the damn Batmobile all along! Silly Batman bumbling along when all this time he just needed to remember to go back to his car!

And yes, a Thank God for Yahtzee show would be weird. I was in the process of forming the impression that they were not speaking of each other much in the way that you don't talk about the way that the weird guy across the street has started to dress more like you do, and painted his entire house the same colors as yours.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
KarlMonster said:
Right, so LEGO Underwear (now that I mention it, Yahtzee didn't twist the game's name!) managed to pad itself out somewhat by forcing you to collect things, AND made you wait to unlock some game mechanics in order to access some of the collectables. Everybody with me there?

Batman: Arkham Asylum did that too. The collectables in BAA weren't really mandatory, but enough collectables or exploration whatevers could tweak your score just enough to get you more health and unlock some Bat-toys. So when *I* am playing Batman AA, they are reasonably mandatory, and that was one of several things that I didn't like about Bleat. Yet Yahtzee positively adored sheep (BAA). [I'm guessing that this is also why he gave positive reviews of CoD4 and GoW2; there was enough fun bits in one part of the game that drowned out other bits that were trying to flag down Critic-Yahtzee.]
Well, in a way, yes. The reason the collectible-hunting in Arkham Asylum is arguably valid is because 1) it isn't the focus of the game, 2) it doesn't exist merely for its own sake, and 3) it's in service to the parts of the game that are central and do exist for their own sake - the combat, stealth, and story - by helping to unlock upgrades. I haven't played Lego City Undercover, but based on the review and my experience with other Lego games, it seems that between the great prominence of collectible-hunting and the fact that elements such as the combat are lackluster and aren't improved by finding/unlocking things, the collectible-hunting is essentially the primary focus of the game - which isn't fun when there's no other reason for it.