Zero Punctuation: Lego City Undercover

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Yahtzee's living in denial. Millenia from now archaeologists will comb through the greasy remains of our current culture and conclude that Lego Video games were our technological equivalent of the invention of the 'wheel'.

Yep, never mind FPS's, RPG's, platform games, etc. Lego Video games will be the legacy of our era.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
cynicalsaint1 said:
Actually I've been justifying my Wii U with MH3U lately ... granted that's a game that Yahtzee is likely to hate so yeah >.>

But if you want to see a game use the Wii U pad correctly and manage to enhance the playing experience without being gimmicky and getting in the way, well that's what I tell you the go-to example is.
Yeah, Yahtzee reviewed the original version and hated it because he only played about two hours and then gave up.

OT: Typical "ERMAHGERD It's on a Nintendo console, that means I must spend 2 minutes bashing said console!" from Yahtzee, but overall a decent episode.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
cynicalsaint1 said:
Actually I've been justifying my Wii U with MH3U lately ... granted that's a game that Yahtzee is likely to hate so yeah >.>

But if you want to see a game use the Wii U pad correctly and manage to enhance the playing experience without being gimmicky and getting in the way, well that's what I tell you the go-to example is.
Yeah, Yahtzee reviewed the original version and hated it because he only played about two hours and then gave up.

OT: Typical "ERMAHGERD It's on a Nintendo console, that means I must spend 2 minutes bashing said console!" from Yahtzee, but overall a decent episode.
two hours? he played for less than 40 minutes, it takes 20 to get to the lagiacrus fight and then he said he wasted another 20 waiting in area 9 for it to show up again, misunderstanding the whole point of the quests

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
AdamG3691 said:
There are some differences between Tri and 3U, but the same premise is there, that's the part he hates.
um, he never even got to the great jaggi...

hell I don't think he even got past the 1* urgent.

it wasn't that he didn't like grinding that he said he disliked, it's that the hardest thing he fought outside the "ohshitrun" lagiacrus fight was an aptonoth

Oh, he didn't get to the great jaggi fight? Then why has he written about it in his column?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7635-Monster-Hunter-Tri.2
Basically this involved me smashing my shortsword against his flank over and over and over again, chipping away at his wretchedly massive amount of health for half an hour because every other weapon was so fucking slow to use that he'd jump out of the way and slap me across the chops with his tail in the time it took to swing them. This isn't even mentioning the weapon degradation system, for which someone badly deserves a mongoose up the trouser leg. Every ten hits or so (with the stupid, stupid Wiimote controls) my sword would lose sharpness, to the point that every other blow would bounce ringingly off the monster's hide as if I'd hit the thing with a fucking bamboo walking stick. So I'd have to pick between trying to get through the fight with a half-useless weapon or run off to slide a whetstone slowly along the blade with even odds whether or not the boss and all his friends come over and interrupt me with murder.
Read more at
Clearly he did fight Great Jaggi even if he didn't mention it by name, but there is an image in the article. Thank you for making it so easy to prove you wrong.

Edit: Messed up the quote

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Jumwa said:
Gameguy20100 said:
Wait wait wait wait Yahtzee WANTS multiplier what weird fucked up parallel universe have I stepped into!!
His shtick is just wangsting about how things are terrible, bitter complaints and cynicism are popular. I've never found his complaints particularly consistent for that reason.

It's entertainment, not a review. : )
I know I come here to watch a cynical git hate everything If I wanted a good review I'd watch Angry Joe

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Other than the Last of Us there really isn't much coming out this year to get excited about it there?
Well, there's Splintercell: Arkham Asylum Blacklist, Shadowrun Returns, and a handful of other games whose names escape me now...

Okay, it's all downhill from now...

Madman Muntz

Apr 16, 2013
Huh. The meeting of two evolutionary culdesacs. A going nowhere gimmicky console gets a video game based on something that's much more fun as just real life bits of cheap plastic.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Yopaz said:
Oh, he didn't get to the great jaggi fight? Then why has he written about it in his column?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7635-Monster-Hunter-Tri.2
Basically this involved me smashing my shortsword against his flank over and over and over again, chipping away at his wretchedly massive amount of health for half an hour because every other weapon was so fucking slow to use that he'd jump out of the way and slap me across the chops with his tail in the time it took to swing them. This isn't even mentioning the weapon degradation system, for which someone badly deserves a mongoose up the trouser leg. Every ten hits or so (with the stupid, stupid Wiimote controls) my sword would lose sharpness, to the point that every other blow would bounce ringingly off the monster's hide as if I'd hit the thing with a fucking bamboo walking stick. So I'd have to pick between trying to get through the fight with a half-useless weapon or run off to slide a whetstone slowly along the blade with even odds whether or not the boss and all his friends come over and interrupt me with murder.
Clearly he did fight Great Jaggi even if he didn't mention it by name, but there is an image in the article. Thank you for making it so easy to prove you wrong.
ah, my apologies, I forgot that he wrote a column after it :p (although, the column was wrote days after the video was released, so at the time of the video he hadn't got very far

but that just makes me facepalm even MORE, he used the SnS because he couldn't time things, then he complained that he wasn't doing enough damage when he's purposely picked the weak but fast weapon, he was using the wiimote controls, and apparently was using the most basic weapon possible because even the first upgrade to the base SnS is enough to get you through that fight.

he seems to have made the worst possible setup possible, just so he can complain about it.

edit: yeah, quotes are annoyingly easy to mess up here >_<

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The Last Melon said:
Well, he's a much bigger fan of Bioshock Infinite in this one than he was in his video review...
He actually called it "a good game" in his video review, which is one of his most straightforward, less ambiguous recommendation I can remember since Portal. I guess he is just responding to the amount of people nitpicking Infinite because its cool to hate on the popular kids.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
AdamG3691 said:
ah, my apologies, I forgot that he wrote a column after it :p (although, the column was wrote days after the video was released, so at the time of the video he hadn't got very far

but that just makes me facepalm even MORE, he used the SnS because he couldn't time things, then he complained that he wasn't doing enough damage when he's purposely picked the weak but fast weapon, he was using the wiimote controls, and apparently was using the most basic weapon possible because even the first upgrade to the base SnS is enough to get you through that fight.

he seems to have made the worst possible setup possible, just so he can complain about it.

I'm just going to repeat that this game doesn't work for anyone and those of us who do like it shouldn't really give a shit. I like the game and I assume you like the game. Let's just agree that we both hate Gigginox and be on our ways.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
A game with a cyborg ninja dressed in tank tops, who is also the mayor and is raising money to bring his dead mother back to life... and for all I know that is actually the real plot of "Metal Gear Rising: Revengence".

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
If there aren't enough big-budget triple-A games to review that you have to resort to Lego City Undercover, why not review some innovative, hilarious indie games? Like Battleblock Theatre, or Antichamber, both of which I'm sure you'll like.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I genuinely don't know if they'll make it through this generation once the other systems enter the scene. I've wondered this about other companies from time to time but the Wii U was a really botched release. I know people who still think it was just a peripheral for the Wii rather than an actual console. It's cute that they made the most powerful machine of THIS generation after having started off as the weakest one but that they created it within the last year of the other machines' life cycle is confusing.

Their exclusive titles are a major plus for them but that wasn't enough to save Sega when they made a grab at decent hardware at the wrong time. I can't say that we've really lost all that much with Sega becoming a software company rather than a hardware/software company.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Yopaz said:
AdamG3691 said:

I'm just going to repeat that this game doesn't work for anyone and those of us who do like it shouldn't really give a shit. I like the game and I assume you like the game. Let's just agree that we both hate Gigginox and be on our ways.
yes, Gigginox indeed sucks :p

(although, now we have wroggi armour :D)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
AdamG3691 said:
Yopaz said:
AdamG3691 said:

yes, Gigginox indeed sucks :p

(although, now we have wroggi armour :D)
Immune to poison, sucka! That armour has paid for itself a million times. No more antidotes in my inventory.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Yahtzee mentioning third party games for the Wii U reminded me of how Rayman Legends was supposed to be Wii U exclusive, but Ubisoft decided be tossers and let Nintendo in the dust.

Not to mention, once I actually got the freaking thing set up, I have to say I really love the Wii U. It's fun, particularly NintendoLand and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
How Yahtzee reviews a game on a Nintendo console:
1/3 of the episode is wasted on bashing Nintendo as a company
1/3 on bashing the Nintendo console
1/6 on bashing Nintendo fans
1/6 of proving that he didn't play the game for longer than 20 minutes
Every fucking time.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Well I can certainly confirm that the LEGO series as a whole seems largely geared towards parents working with their children, as that seems to be the lion's share of e-mails I get from people who read my guides, so I did feel it important to make a special note that the game was entirely single-player. Shame, really. I'm sure they could have thrown together something with a second player using a Remote and Chuck and just controlling Frank Honey or something.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I've pinpointed the exact reason studs annoy me. Visually I find them very distracting as they miraculously go from an in game 3d location to your 2d HUD. Makes me feel ill. Well weird.