Zero Punctuation: Mad Max - The Sandiest Sand Box

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
I can more easily get behind sandbox games than shooters but they've somehow managed to cock those up too anymore. Also, let us never speak of the Mad Max NES game again, it's a part of that 99% of movie tie-in games on the NES that are absolute rubbish. The remaining 1% is the 1989 Batman movie game. Although I do have a perplexing soft spot for Friday the 13th. I feel as if it was the -least- broken LJN movie game and somewhat succeeded in the suspense department for the time.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I swear not a single critic saw the loading tip about the scrap box's that come with the sand storm. Its the fastest way to get scrap.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Daemascus said:
I swear not a single critic saw the loading tip about the scrap box's that come with the sand storm. Its the fastest way to get scrap.
You're not kidding.Critics don't seem to know what dust storms are for. This is the third one I've seen/read/listened to who are confused by them.
I love them. They're incredibly intense and a MASSIVE source of Scrap. Reports from players say they net anywhere from 600 to 2,000 scrap out of one storm from "Mothaloot" boxes that fly around. The only kind of payday like that is from controlling all the camps. So it's easily THE best source of income. Sadly, in my playthroughs, they're all too rare.
Surviving all the knockdowns promises I can get anywhere from 2-3 vital upgrades for my car at any given point. New armor, faster reload on the Thunderpoon (Rocket launcher), anything I need, the storms give me.

I like the game. I've got 50 hours on it, and only taking a break because Netflix has a series I've been interested in and I'm catching up. Also, gives them time to release some DLC which I'll surely get at some point.

phogue

Mar 27, 2015
At least not being able to follow the plot is staying true to the movie (newest one anyway). I don't think the dude said more than 20 words through the whole thing.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
I'm glad to see that Alan The Financial Advisor (from Shadow of Mordor) is still here and doing well.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I had to pause the video at the literal sandbox bit because I was laughing too hard.
phogue said:
At least not being able to follow the plot is staying true to the movie (newest one anyway). I don't think the dude said more than 20 words through the whole thing.
Okay, sure, he didn't say much, but I don't see how that made the plot difficult to follow?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
What heresy is this?!
Max would never play as an uptigh Black Templar. He's an Ork player through and through!
When in doubt, more dakka.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Zydrate said:
Daemascus said:
You're not kidding.Critics don't seem to know what dust storms are for. This is the third one I've seen/read/listened to who are confused by them.
I love them. They're incredibly intense and a MASSIVE source of Scrap. Reports from players say they net anywhere from 600 to 2,000 scrap out of one storm from "Mothaloot" boxes that fly around. The only kind of payday like that is from controlling all the camps. So it's easily THE best source of income. Sadly, in my playthroughs, they're all too rare.
Surviving all the knockdowns promises I can get anywhere from 2-3 vital upgrades for my car at any given point. New armor, faster reload on the Thunderpoon (Rocket launcher), anything I need, the storms give me.

I like the game. I've got 50 hours on it, and only taking a break because Netflix has a series I've been interested in and I'm catching up. Also, gives them time to release some DLC which I'll surely get at some point.
You had me at "Thunderpoon". I wasn't expecting much from a movie tie-in game to change the whole industry forever (again, like GoldenEye on the N64), but it sounds familiar and similar to most other sandbox games I've played, so I just might get this one.
After I finish Arkham Knight. And it's DLC. And Maybe WATCH_DOGS.

schwitz

Sep 30, 2012
Every time I come back for ZP, I'm reminded of how fucking awful the Escapists video player is.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Zydrate said:
Daemascus said:

You had me at "Thunderpoon". I wasn't expecting much from a movie tie-in game to change the whole industry forever (again, like GoldenEye on the N64), but it sounds familiar and similar to most other sandbox games I've played, so I just might get this one.
After I finish Arkham Knight. And it's DLC. And Maybe WATCH_DOGS.
Mad Max is not innovative in the least, that's for sure. But if you like Arkham/Mordor's combat style with Far Cry and Assassin's Creed base control mixed in, it's not a bad mixture of elements from other games. Also the car combat is satisfying for the most part and chasing the ~12 or so convoys littered around the map have been the most fun I've had in recent games. I just wish there were more of them, or were refreshable somehow (Perhaps with a buff in their armor classes every time you elect to do so).

Watch Dogs is also comparatively mediocre. I only have 22 hours on it and it seems more like a test-run for a potential modern-day AC game. The driving is clunky but the stealth sections are enjoyable. Just ignore the story and bland-ass protagonist.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Love this episode, seriously. Might be one of my favorites already.
That said, I am going to buy this game when the price has lowered.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
Love this episode, seriously. Might be one of my favorites already.
That said, I am going to buy this game when the price has lowered.
Yes, this is Yahtzee's return to form. That was absolutely hilarious. The game looks really boring though.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
The game looks really boring though.
I honestly just think it's an individual preference. I liked Shadows of Mordor, Far Cry 3 and 4, and most of the Assassin's Creed series and it's a mishmash of those so I enjoy it. (Mordor is even the reason I put all the Arkham games on my wishlist). If you like all of those, then it's just more of the same.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
The thing I enjoy about Mad Max is that it doesn't pretend you're trying to follow a story. It simply goes: "I want the best car" and then you do stuff to get a better car, and do a lot of the fighting in your car, and generally the game revolves around your car. If you enjoy the car combat then there is absolutely nothing wrong with a game that uses a standard open world to make car combat happen.

The main thing that's annoying about the game is having to destroy vehicles to get loot from them after killing the driver or ripping all their wheels off, since that really slows down the pace of the game.

All the hand to hand combat is also pretty boring. I personally never cared for that Arkham style combat system because it's basically just "press this button unless I tell you to press that button". Boooring.

I think the game doesn't compare to Rage or Borderlands at all though. In Borderlands the cars are mostly just an annoyance you have to deal with that force you out of your decked out, specced up character into a generic vehicle, and in Rage the shooting and the driving portions of the game don't work together at all. Mad Max is about the driving portion above all else, and in that regard it works.