Zero Punctuation: Mafia 3

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Onliuge said:
Can't wait for the gender politics vultures to start circling next week when this is on YouTube.

And I thought the first week of November was going to suck for Americans!
Can't help but notice that we don't actually get that many people complaining about sexism anymore, but there's no shortage of people complaining about people complaining about sexism in a dismissive manner.

OT: General reaction to Mafia 3 has been "bleh" all across the board. Trying to save money right about now, and this helps me.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm going to be honest, having a CIA Fairy Godmother sounds amazing. That's the closes anyone's come on selling me on Mafia 3. I mean, it's still not enough, but that's the best argument thus far...

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
THM said:
Probably. Thing is, sometimes it seems a bit random as to what's going to incite the next 'moral' panic.
Does any of that really matter, though? Particularly given the shit publishers keep pulling, and given the the pre-order culture we're having to deal with?

Is gaming so weak - so pitiful and pathetic - that it, unlike any other artform, is broken by moral panics and nonsense?

True; but when the 'storm' is in the middle of raging, that kind of calm intelligence isn't there anymore.
It's getting a little philosophical... but maybe people should ignore what the storm's doing or not doing, and look to their own actions/thoughts instead. I think most people would agree people reacting to people reacting is blighting us all.

It's not the having of opinions that's the problem; it's the ramming said opinion down everyone's throat, preferably until the nasty thing they don't like gets changed, which is the problem. As opposed to, say, those same folks going out and creating their own game/game series which treats the subject of gender the way they think it should be treated. Or I am just dreaming out loud. :)
When, precisely, does an expression of opinion become "ramming" it down someone's throat, though? I feel that's a very nebulous thing, and people perceive that others are imposing their tastes on them simply because they are holding an opposed viewpoint, or, typically, one they can't understand or find sympathy in.

Also, surely it's a matter of perspective... If the principle of having an opinion or attitude rammed down one's throat is objectionable (a worldview or perspective that excludes those that don't match it), then what on earth does the typically heteronormative masculine consensus represent? What is that, if not a perceived or actual imposition on anyone who doesn't really fit that box?

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Silentpony said:
Its more like archetype stuff. Duke Nukem, Master Chief, Marshal Law, Lancelot Lakenight, Cloud Strife, Cream the Rabbit, Ceaseless Discharge...these are dumb names that are meant to encapsulate the character in their entirety.
Great now I know that a Sonic character with the name Cream the Rabbit exists. With everything that this implies
And I'm sure this knowledge will haunt me while I'm sleeping and I will wake up screaming, drenched in my own sweat.

What kind of monster would do something like this to another person?

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Y'know, I don't think apologising for being an unapologetic racist is something that you can do.

(And yes, I know that was the joke.)

C14N

May 28, 2008
Darth Rosenberg said:
When, precisely, does an expression of opinion become "ramming" it down someone's throat, though? I feel that's a very nebulous thing, and people perceive that others are imposing their tastes on them simply because they are holding an opposed viewpoint, or, typically, one they can't understand or find sympathy in.
Great post, would read again. Way too many people act so incredibly victimised just because someone out there is calling a thing racist or sexist. The line between "having an opinion" and "forcing your opinion on everyone else" is nonexistent when you start taking this attitude. If anything, this is the only moral panic I really see in the gaming community. That there are these evil, totalitarian Social Justice Warriors taking poor defenseless game developers hostage and forcing them to change all of their games to be ridiculously progressive against the will of the "real" gamers. Get out of here with that, if you favour freedom of speech then let people have their blog posts or twitter. If someone is calling something sexist and you think it's not, try argue why you think it isn't instead of arguing that merely talking about it is some devious form of oppression.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Dornedas said:
Silentpony said:
Its more like archetype stuff. Duke Nukem, Master Chief, Marshal Law, Lancelot Lakenight, Cloud Strife, Cream the Rabbit, Ceaseless Discharge...these are dumb names that are meant to encapsulate the character in their entirety.
Great now I know that a Sonic character with the name Cream the Rabbit exists. With everything that this implies
And I'm sure this knowledge will haunt me while I'm sleeping and I will wake up screaming, drenched in my own sweat.

What kind of monster would do something like this to another person?
Cream has a chao named Cheese, and together they're Cream & Cheese. But, then again, the people over at Sonic Team did name Cream's mother Vanilla.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Transdude1996 said:
Thanatos2k said:
It's like we've gotten to the point where people are now badly copying Ubisoft open world games rather than the usual other way around.
Well, to give the devs at least some credit, if you're going to copy a game formula, you might as well copy the guys making money hand over fist.
That's usually a sure formula to:

1. Not make as much money as them

2. Be compared unfavorably to them.

3. Not quite understand why people like those games.

4. Poorly emulate the formula.

And people are even sick of open world Ubisoft games.......hence why Ubisoft has slowed their factory of churning them out. You picked the wrong thing to copy at the wrong time.

Atratzu

Aug 14, 2016
Yeah... Open world games are starting to just become bland for me, and I tend to like open world games. I'll still want to try out mafia 3 sometime.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
Now I wonder what Yahtzee's take on the racial politics of BioShock Infinite was, because that game also seemed to use its old-timey setting as an excuse to wallow in the racism of that era without meaningfully commenting on it. And at least this game lets you play as a black person who massacres the KKK because of a personal vendetta rather than a disaffected white dude who kills them because they're in his way. And doesn't conspicuously tiptoe around the use of racial epithets.
Catnip1024 said:
I don't think Bioshock Infinite even attempted to address the whole racism issue, though. It was pretty much the only flaw in the place (forgotten the name), which suggests it was there to make it clear that these people are the bad guys. A comic-booky game like Bioshock probably isn't the place to be having deep and meaningful statements to make on race, anyway.
wizzy555 said:
I think Bioshock infinite was using racism to comment on American History and the American conception of success. The racism was the commentary.
I think the racism was more to do with it's exploration of Comstock than anything else.

Everything about Columbia is meant to be an exploration of the split between Comstock and Booker and the differences in how they deal with their shared history. Whereas Booker decided he was a terrible person who couldn't be forgiven for the things he'd done and chose to wallow in self-destruction, Comstock decided he didn't need forgiveness because he decided the mistakes he'd made weren't actually mistakes. So, Booker says "I killed all those people and that makes me a worthless pile of shit," while Comstock says "I killed those people because they're less than me and it doesn't matter if they die."

Columbia is the world Comstock built for himself because it's what he needs the world to be to avoid processing his guilt. So it becomes, among many other things, a focused echo chamber of the latent racism of the era not because Booker/Comstock inherently hates non-whites, but because he needs to believe he has nothing to feel guilty for. It's the support structure he desperately needs to prop up his twisted view of himself because he can't bare to accept the truth of his actions or take real responsibility for them.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
It's the same with Django for me. The amount of times they said ****** in that one scene was really obnoxious, like they just discovered they could get away with it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I can't recall, has Yahtzee used the N-word in past Zero Punctuations? Because somewhere in my memory I recall him using it...

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Redlin5 said:
I can't recall, has Yahtzee used the N-word in past Zero Punctuations? Because somewhere in my memory I recall him using it...
50 cent: Blood in the Sand review, I think.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Alma Mare said:
Redlin5 said:
50 cent: Blood in the Sand review, I think.
Watched that I recently, I don't think he did. He did say it when reviewing GTA: Online, though.

Tyler Shmiff

#2 Kissboy
Feb 21, 2015
Mount boring?
Why not https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Mount+Terrible/@-37.3958043,146.0702378,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b287c20e24b4b41:0x91ab7a2cf7b48748!8m2!3d-37.3958333!4d146.1402778!5m1!1e4 ?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I swear this game has more "nigga"s than that song about being "100% nigga".

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
Dornedas said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I see Lincoln Clay went to the Isaac Clarke School of Naming.
That makes me wonder: Do developers think they are smart when they do this, or are they just too lazy to think of a name?
I read that Capt. Walker(Spec Ops the line) was a placeholder name used during development and the writers never got a chance to change it before it was locked in by the higher ups.

Master Chief, OTOH, doesn't quite fit because it's an actual US Naval Rank(and an absurdly high one for someone who runs around shooting people by himself all day).

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Noyemi-K said:
Far more often do I see people complaining in advance about theoretical waves of evil SJWs descending on their favorite manchild pastimes to complain about them than do I actually see said evil SJWs doing so. Case in point, Onliuge and THM.
*bows*

Hey, if nothing else it's a great way to practice your typing skills. ;)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dalisclock said:
Master Chief, OTOH, doesn't quite fit because it's an actual US Naval Rank(and an absurdly high one for someone who runs around shooting people by himself all day).
Yes, technically. But I'd argue not only does almost no one ever refer to him as John(with the exception of Cortana when she's horny), but he's referred to as Master Chief in the box blurbs and media campaigns. So I think it still applies, if with an asterisk.