Zero Punctuation: Mafia 3

Onliuge

Aug 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Onliuge said:
Can't wait for the gender politics vultures to start circling next week when this is on YouTube.

And I thought the first week of November was going to suck for Americans!
Not to be 'that guy' but seriously, what does Gender Politics have to do with any of this? Racial politics, perhaps, but its a game set in a racist era. It'd be like complaining about anti-Semitic tones in a game set in a Nazi Germany death camp.
It's a joke, from Witness and Bombshell about SJW's.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Silentpony said:
Dalisclock said:
Master Chief, OTOH, doesn't quite fit because it's an actual US Naval Rank(and an absurdly high one for someone who runs around shooting people by himself all day).
Yes, technically. But I'd argue not only does almost no one ever refer to him as John(with the exception of Cortana when she's horny), but he's referred to as Master Chief in the box blurbs and media campaigns. So I think it still applies, if with an asterisk.
His full rank is Master Chief Petty Officer, but that's still confusing if he's supposed to be a Marine. Further muddied by the fact he's the result of a Super Soldier project whipped up by Naval Intelligence.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
What's on the plate this week? Oh, just a bunch of people throwing a bunch of turds around the punch bowl. Well, be back next week.

Apr 5, 2008
Boring, generic game. Chest high crates, tables, walls and other chest-high bric a brac everywhere, wallhack vision, mobile phones, whistling stealth kills and taking over racket after racket....got as far as one racket after finding Vito and uninstalled it. Waste of time and money. Mafia II might be more linear but it's better than this generic-sandbox shit by a mile. Better story, characters and missions and it's actually about the mafia, not generic criminals.

Apr 5, 2008
Barbas said:
I swear this game has more "nigga"s than that song about being "100% nigga".
It's not so bad.....although it's actually "******" (the bad version) rather than "nigga" (the good version which didn't really exist then) like every few seconds in GTAV. It's actually done reasonably well, it's off-hand and accepted, common usage. It portrays actual racism, not the perceived sort the today's Internet-flamers are on about. Characters are genuinely lamenting these uppity-niggers who take jobs from honest, God-fearing white folk or who try to rise above their station.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Dalisclock said:
I read that Capt. Walker(Spec Ops the line) was a placeholder name used during development and the writers never got a chance to change it before it was locked in by the higher ups.
I'm kinda surprised by that. I'd figure that giving the main character a generic Mr. ShootBang name would be deliberate, what with how that game loves to brutally undercut SpunkGargleWeeWee-isms.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I think Yahtzee hit upon a topic for another Extra Punctuation column: when games hate you for playing them as they were designed to be. Like a game has you play a criminal psychopath as the only way to progress, but it calls you a bad person for it, while also rewarding you at the same time.