Zero Punctuation: Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Unspecifiedestan

Oct 25, 2017
Did you happen to clear your cookies or history?
Drathnoxis said:
Unspecifiedestan said:
Why does it keep playing that escapist ad about that guy talking about water slides? Does anyone know?
It's a bug, don't know what causes it. I had it happen for a month or two and then it went away by itself. It happened after I downloaded all of the Zero Punctuation videos through the site's RSS feed. There isn't a tech team or staff running the site anymore, so there isn't really anyone you can ask for help.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Unspecifiedestan said:
Did you happen to clear your cookies or history?
Drathnoxis said:
Unspecifiedestan said:
Why does it keep playing that escapist ad about that guy talking about water slides? Does anyone know?
It's a bug, don't know what causes it. I had it happen for a month or two and then it went away by itself. It happened after I downloaded all of the Zero Punctuation videos through the site's RSS feed. There isn't a tech team or staff running the site anymore, so there isn't really anyone you can ask for help.
I do that pretty regularly, but it neither causes the issue nor fixed it when I had it.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
To be fair, he wasn't called "The Dark Lord Sauron" at the time. He had a different name (which I can't recall off the top of my head; I think it was Maeleron, but don't quote me), and was more angelic.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
K.ur said:
My theory is they needed her to have fingers to put the ring on.
Yeah, I thought about that too. Probably was cheaper to animate a regular sized lady as opposed to a giant spider monster too.

Could have just put the ring on one of her fangs though. She's got lots.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
erttheking said:
It's almost like game companies are really creatively bankrupt when it comes to writing female characters. Even when writing competent badass ones, it's mandatory that they need to be easy on the eyes.
For the same reason most Hollywood actress are drop dead gorgeous. It sells.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Burnouts3s3 said:
Good review as always.

Of course the 'optional' defense is a BS line fed by the publishers but the fact they added in the option means that WB is clearly aiming to milk more from its customers. They didn't 'have' to make the 4th act such a slog. They didn't 'have' to add in microtransactions in a single player game. Just as you, the consumer don't 'have' to buy them. But since the option exists in the first place, WB must be held accountable for their shady business practices.
Yeah, it's not really optional if the only alternative is insane grinding, especially if you get no warning you're gonna need a lot of resources/prep after the point of no return. At that point it's effectively pay to win.

I'm assuming that's the case here. Several reviews have alluded to the fact the final act really, really wants you to buy those lootboxes for resources.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
One of the best ZP's I've seen in a long time. The ending had me in stitches.

I loved Shadow of Mordor, but I despise what WB has done to the sequel. If I buy this game at all it'll probably be a year or two down the line, when the inevitable "GotY Edition" comes out at a discounted price. Regardless, I refuse to spend a cent on the microtransactions or lootboxes out of principle.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Gamer's rule 75: if a game has micro-transactions for buying in-game resources, as opposed to major game expansions or cosmetic changes, don't buy the game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
deadish said:
erttheking said:
It's almost like game companies are really creatively bankrupt when it comes to writing female characters. Even when writing competent badass ones, it's mandatory that they need to be easy on the eyes.
For the same reason most Hollywood actress are drop dead gorgeous. It sells.
Last time I checked, the original movie was able to have her as a scary as fuck spider and still sell well.

It's a Lord of the Rings game that's a sequel to a critical and commercial success. If the sheer concentrated greed and audience contempt the game has doesn't impact sales, I don't think a non traditional female character would've tanked them.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
erttheking said:
Last time I checked, the original movie was able to have her as a scary as fuck spider and still sell well.
But we all know that we had Eowyn and Arwen to cover that base. :p

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
Daily reminder that Shadow of Mordor was marketed in the most bizarre method possible, and that Yahtzee's review of it seemingly followed all the laid-out guidelines.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Logience said:
Daily reminder that Shadow of Mordor was marketed in the most bizarre method possible, and that Yahtzee's review of it seemingly followed all the laid-out guidelines.
For the lazy.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9802-Shadow-of-Mordor-Review#&gid=gallery_2895&pid=1

FatesVagrant

Aug 13, 2017
The "optional" micro transaction defense is only valid in the case of free to play games and depending on how it's done MMO's, not full priced single player games (or single player games with a tacked on and barely updated multiplayer).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I think WB Interactive should have their hearts ripped out and be dunked in lava pit Temple of Doom style. Of course that would require them to HAVE hearts.