Zero Punctuation: Might & Magic X: Legacy

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
That finale had me laughing out loud :D

Pretty good/funny episode, never played the M&M games myself.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
That last punchline was perfect lmao

So spiteful, so angry. I've never even considered playing M&M, yet I have Dungeons of Dreadmore on my list.

BlueJoneleth

Feb 8, 2011
I enjoy the game besides it's flaws.

Though the grid combat was abandoned in MM6 so it's kind of weird they brought it back for this game.

Also every single game except this one actually has an auto note feature with stuff like :

THIS GUY TEACHES EXPERT SHIELD SKILL AT (X,Y) IN THIS AREA.

Seriously why didn't they add this in the game -_-".

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Ugh, grid movements is something I hate. I'll accept it in board games, but keep it there. It is a dated and boring style of gameplay.

Morten Skiftesvik

Sneaky Outsider
Mar 12, 2012
Why oh why did the game series, having made the jump from grid to sort of free open movement between game 5 and 6, have to jump back into the grid?

Don't mind me, just going to play MM7 one more time.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Ill be honest, I did not even know Might & Magic X exist after... almost 10 years now.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I don't know why, but this video cracked me up big time. Thanks for making my day Yahtzee!

Am very interested in playing this game, but it's sitting in my backlog at the moment. Got more important things to play first.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Isn't there Legend of Grimrock that does all this dungeon crawling too? Oh, whatever. Apparently this is a new release.

I very much relate to getting lost and dead from my first dip into the ocean that is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate/re-release. I go from stupid NPC to vocal NPC to finally find the "quest-giver". Then I'm thrown into a wasteland with some lizards. Soon, I find my sword dull, my stomach empty, and my flesh occasionally melting in the hot sun. And I haven't even tussled with the more aggressive monsters yet. It's like trying to swim in the middle of the ocean with the only instructions being, "Push water."

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
This whole video was worth it just for the fast talking segment. Though statements against Current Gen consoles, their games and Modern Military Shooters fell out of place, however accurate the statements were.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I've never played M&M and have no particular desire to do so, but this was the funniest episode in a while. Bravo, sir!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Somebody else remembered Battleforge! WHOOOO!

I thought it was funny that he brought it up with 'dealing out cards' when Battleforge absolutely did let you see the giant monsters on the cards brutally murderize each other.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
I'm not really on board with this thing Yathzee usually has against traditional genres being traditional for the sake of tradition. If they are, so what, plenty of people still learned to love them for what they are.

You might as well say that chess is just a really crude stylized strategy game, and it's obselete now that we can do real time battle simulations with thousands of soldiers in Total War. But why does this matter, if somewhere along the line, chess has grew to be it's own thing that people love for being chess?

If it comes down to it, all genres of everything are just traditions that people keep repeating against intuitive sense. Point-and-click adventures, FPSes, JRPGs, musicals, cyberpunk novels, harem animes, superhero comics, western movies, police procedural shows, etc.

It's the same deal with ultra-oldschool RPGs, even if only with a somehow narrower audience is taking their rules for granted.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I was pretty excited for a revival of the series, Might & Magic being one of my absolute favourite series of PC RPG games. I've played and played M&M7 over the years, 6 and 8 both being really solid as well. The one thing all 3 of those games have in common is that they employ a free-movement style while retaining the challenging turn-based combat system. I have no idea why Ubisoft decided to remove an improvement. X Legacy was a disappointing game in almost every regard. I feel a fool for recommending to DJWheat and JP McDaniel in their 8-bits show on Twitch.

http://youtu.be/A_R1ZlC2_p0

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I own heroes of might and magic 5 and even if I haven?t played it much I do remember it being pretty fun, the normal might and magic games don?t really look all that interesting since most of them are old pc games and I tend to dislike old pc games.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I guess MovieBob isn't the only one suffering from the "fuck all is coming out" first months of the new year. The only thing I could possibly see Yahtzee getting into is the HD release of Resident Evil 4 for PC's. But that won't come out until February 27 and, even if he does review it, its gonna be another week or two before that particular video pops up on Escapist.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Sounds like Jon Van Caneghem would be quite upset knowing his brainchild has been put back in its days of not being special. I thought heroes was a strange departure but it was still an M&M game. Oh well. I think it could be fun to bring back a game like VIII.

Martin Drkos

Mar 7, 2012
The reason why board game video games simulate all the card shuffling and piece moving is that their target audiences want to play a more convenient version of the board game without the need for other human beings. The lore of Magic The Gathering doesn't tell me much, so a say RPG set in it would just be a fantasy RPG to me, but give me a virtual desk and a deck of cards and I know what to do.

That is why I secretly hope beyond hope that the Magic movie is about people playing the game kinda YuGiOh style.